Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Training Humans?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Im not sure what mama would do honestly. I think she would look at it as very dis-respectful of me and get really hurt/angry. They have wanted a dog for a while now, and waited till one came along they wanted so it wasn't spur of moment type decision - which makes it more frustrating to me, prehaps im too highly strung and expect too much -?

    I think I will print out some text and let her read over it. She really likes Cesar Milan too...I will record some and play it back when she is in the room.


    Thanks for your honesty everyone, its appreciated.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post
    Im not sure what mama would do honestly. I think she would look at it as very dis-respectful of me and get really hurt/angry. They have wanted a dog for a while now, and waited till one came along they wanted so it wasn't spur of moment type decision - which makes it more frustrating to me, prehaps im too highly strung and expect too much -?

    I think I will print out some text and let her read over it. She really likes Cesar Milan too...I will record some and play it back when she is in the room.


    Thanks for your honesty everyone, its appreciated.
    ahhh...Cesar Millan.....be careful with this though. Although I like Cesar...I am not Cesar and when mere mortals like us try and interpret what he does...we can get into a bit of strife.

    Cesar has had dogs for a very long time...he understands them on a different level...trying to interpret what he does...how he does it and why is almost impossible for us...just from seeing him on TV.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Well, I think it's admirable of you to go to where your mother lives to help with training.

    First, I agree 100% with C&B Mum about the smaller dog issue. It isn't about your mum then getting a smaller dog, it's about her getting another dog at all. That's just...well...retarded.

    Look, sorry but something isn't sitting right with me, and I guess I haven't got all the facts...but HOW are you incorporating the training of someone else's dog with your mum and brother? Why are you doing the training? Do they agree with your methods, or do they have different ideas? It's just not making sense to me...you travel all that way to stay for a while and help with training when both your mum and brother don;t seem interested in that. I'm sorry, I'm a bit lost and confused. (It happens a lot.)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    I like Cesar too - I've just bought his first 3 seasons on dvd. I don't agree with everything he does, but I like his "tough love" approach to the owners! On one episode I watched yesterday there was a lady who spent $150 a week on new toys for her dog. The dog only drank bottled water and the dog "decided" everything they did - it was f-ing ridiculous...

    Perhaps you could buy your mum Cesar's book "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" or "Be the Pack Leader"... both very good.

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of dog does your mum have?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    ahhh...Cesar Millan.....be careful with this though. Although I like Cesar...I am not Cesar and when mere mortals like us try and interpret what he does...we can get into a bit of strife.

    Cesar has had dogs for a very long time...he understands them on a different level...trying to interpret what he does...how he does it and why is almost impossible for us...just from seeing him on TV.
    Agree 100% with everything here.

    If you watch his show, you see the warning "do not try this without professional help" come up over and over and over again.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie & Bella's mum View Post
    I like Cesar too - I've just bought his first 3 seasons on dvd. I don't agree with everything he does, but I like his "tough love" approach to the owners! On one episode I watched yesterday there was a lady who spent $150 a week on new toys for her dog. The dog only drank bottled water and the dog "decided" everything they did - it was f-ing ridiculous...

    Perhaps you could buy your mum Cesar's book "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" or "Be the Pack Leader"... both very good.

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of dog does your mum have?
    I think both rebec and mum has Mastiff X pups....from same litter...am I correct rebec?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Well, I think it's admirable of you to go to where your mother lives to help with training.

    First, I agree 100% with C&B Mum about the smaller dog issue. It isn't about your mum then getting a smaller dog, it's about her getting another dog at all. That's just...well...retarded.

    Look, sorry but something isn't sitting right with me, and I guess I haven't got all the facts...but HOW are you incorporating the training of someone else's dog with your mum and brother? Why are you doing the training? Do they agree with your methods, or do they have different ideas? It's just not making sense to me...you travel all that way to stay for a while and help with training when both your mum and brother don;t seem interested in that. I'm sorry, I'm a bit lost and confused. (It happens a lot.)
    Only two pups here, the brother and sister mastiffs-x.

    Im doing majority of the training because both my mum and brother don't have as much time as I do (im a sahm) to put into the intial hard part (doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a dog either though - they do show genuine affection and do the fun play stuff). If I had just brought a single pup here for my mother/brother they would of put time into the training but not like I do, I think they find it easier to rely on me to do it, then reep the rewards later.

    I don't think they disagree with the methods I use,Its more about them not being consistant enough.

    Getting into the family dynamics now,I travel to my mums quiet often so the travel doesn't phase me (only about an hr and 3/4). Most of my mums side lives around here and they get to see the grandkids more when I visit so its all a bonus to me.

    Did that help with explanation? lol Im not the most articulate person at times.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    I think both rebec and mum has Mastiff X pups....from same litter...am I correct rebec?
    Yup, Lilly and Leo.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post
    Only two pups here, the brother and sister mastiffs-x.

    Im doing majority of the training because both my mum and brother don't have as much time as I do (im a sahm) to put into the intial hard part (doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a dog either though - they do show genuine affection and do the fun play stuff). If I had just brought a single pup here for my mother/brother they would of put time into the training but not like I do, I think they find it easier to rely on me to do it, then reep the rewards later.

    I don't think they disagree with the methods I use,Its more about them not being consistant enough.

    Getting into the family dynamics now,I travel to my mums quiet often so the travel doesn't phase me (only about an hr and 3/4). Most of my mums side lives around here and they get to see the grandkids more when I visit so its all a bonus to me.

    Did that help with explanation? lol Im not the most articulate person at times.
    Thanks. You explained things very well for me!

    Are you doing the majority of the training yourself, with your mum and brother as spectators? Are you telling them what/how/why you are doing the training methods you are?

    I have found that ppl can become quite resentful of one person doing the training. Look, there are a myriad of reasons why ppl feel this way, which I won't get into now. I could be reading this entire scenario wrong (so forgive me if I do and ignore my comments) but my suggestion would be to USE your mum and brother to everybody's advantage. In other words, don't YOU do it all. Tell them "I can't manage this alone, you are really good with this, so I need YOUR help, Mum and Bro." And get them physically involved, doing the training alongside with you and your puppy.

    Does that make sense to you at all? I hope so. So many ppl who don't train or know how to as well as others can feel so inferior very fast, and start to lose their desire to train, and therefore lose their consistency.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Tell them to join a dog school - better hearing it from someone they're paying sometimes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •