Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Poodles

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    OK just did a small amount of research and it looks like they DO have to be clipped to be shown - learn something new every day! LOL!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cate0404 View Post
    I stand corrected! Only been in the show ring since I was thirteen - look alive woman!! LOL! In my defense though I only hang at the hound ring and then I'm off chatting (or snoozing) till I gotta go back in again! (AND the poodles do not appeal to me at all!)
    Lol me either but I really wanted to know. I remember once we were walking through the poodle section and one of my friends wisely said in an obnoxious voice: 'ugh, poodles are so ugly!' Talk about a walk of shame!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Clipping the poodle for show takes some talent. The most popular one is the lion clip, where the chest and joints are covered, it stems from the poodles original use of retrieving fowl from lakes and marsh areas and to prevent their coats from being water logged they were clipped but to protect the joints from the cold these areas were left.

    Puppies have a puppy cut which is less extreme no totally bare areas. Not sure which class they progress up to the adult cut, never asked.

    I could never cope with the work involved to prepare a poodle for show especially the white ones.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    I could never cope with the work involved to prepare a poodle for show especially the white ones.
    The white ones are not more work than the other colours. You have to bath them anyway before a show no matter what colour

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    Clipping the poodle for show takes some talent. The most popular one is the lion clip, where the chest and joints are covered, it stems from the poodles original use of retrieving fowl from lakes and marsh areas and to prevent their coats from being water logged they were clipped but to protect the joints from the cold these areas were left.

    Puppies have a puppy cut which is less extreme no totally bare areas. Not sure which class they progress up to the adult cut, never asked.

    I could never cope with the work involved to prepare a poodle for show especially the white ones.
    Geez that's a lot of work! You'd have to love the breed.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Dis,
    There are Standard poodles, Minitature poddles, and Toy poodles.

    My personal favourite is the Standard, and most ppl who have owned one will then never go back to a mini or a toy. The poodle is an exceedingly intelligent dog, but the Standard is reknown (debatable, of course) as THE most intelligent of all the three poodle sizes.

    The 2nd photo the dog is not clipped whatsoever, therefore looks very different, that's all.
    The poodle does have quite an elongated snout. It is not more so than many other breeds, but LOOKS more so because the fur is shaven off that area entirely. Same as a portion of their tails, and of course their feet/pads etc. That's just a normal pet clip, though.

    To prepare a dog for a show, and have it looking it's best in one of the show clips is massive work, time consuming, and you must get it perfect.

    Hope that helps.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Dis,
    There are Standard poodles, Minitature poddles, and Toy poodles.

    My personal favourite is the Standard, and most ppl who have owned one will then never go back to a mini or a toy. The poodle is an exceedingly intelligent dog, but the Standard is reknown (debatable, of course) as THE most intelligent of all the three poodle sizes.

    The 2nd photo the dog is not clipped whatsoever, therefore looks very different, that's all.
    The poodle does have quite an elongated snout. It is not more so than many other breeds, but LOOKS more so because the fur is shaven off that area entirely. Same as a portion of their tails, and of course their feet/pads etc. That's just a normal pet clip, though.

    To prepare a dog for a show, and have it looking it's best in one of the show clips is massive work, time consuming, and you must get it perfect.

    Hope that helps.
    VERY informative Deb, thanks! I feel like a bit of a tosser for not knowing they didn't naturally have that eighties tranny look...The first one with it's long face, perm and what looks like big earrings.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    LOL@Dis.
    Personally, I find an unkempt and ungroomed poodle a terrible sight.

    Question for Hippo, please.
    Back at a time when i was invovled with ppl showing poodles, the whites ones did take more work for show preperation. Their coats would be white-washed, rather than just washed, rinsed with bluo (yep - OMG but it worked) coats perfected and then topped off with snow talc to make the coat even whiter.
    The preparation with the blacks and browns back then never seems to take as long as the white coats.

    Have things changed, as I will say it has been a while since my experience with poodles???

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    I have the trifecta at the moment! I have a toy, a mini, and a standard boarding with me - all from different homes. At a guess I'd say the toy is about 3 kgs, the mini about 7, and the standard about 30kgs. They are all getting a clip while they are here - thank dog they are puppy clips as I don't have the grooming experience to do show clips!

    The standard girl is just lovely, she's 11 years old and puts on an oscar winning performance when she wants a cuddle - starts off putting her chin on your knee, then if she doesn't get a response, turns her head to one side and look up at you longingly. Works every time!

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    I have the trifecta at the moment! I have a toy, a mini, and a standard boarding with me - all from different homes. At a guess I'd say the toy is about 3 kgs, the mini about 7, and the standard about 30kgs. They are all getting a clip while they are here - thank dog they are puppy clips as I don't have the grooming experience to do show clips!

    The standard girl is just lovely, she's 11 years old and puts on an oscar winning performance when she wants a cuddle - starts off putting her chin on your knee, then if she doesn't get a response, turns her head to one side and look up at you longingly. Works every time!
    Personally I would love to own a poodle. Standard or toy...Don't like the idea of in between lol. And sorry DA, but I love the look of a non shaved poodle. If the hair is groomed and well kept, they look just like big teddies!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •