Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Mal .... Help!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default Mal .... Help!!!

    Hi Guys

    I have a little problem with Gypsy. She has started to get agressive with me. Let me explain...

    Over this last week I have been doing the normal routine for feeding times. I get both dogs to sit and stay while I place their bowls on the ground. I then give the comand to each dog to eat. That's fine no worries.

    Gypsy usually finishes first and she will come and sit at my feel. I give her a pat and praise her for being a good girl and then I usually release her. But over this last week she has become agressive with me. When she comes and sits after eating I give her a pat and she starts to bare her teeth at me and then she bites me. Not hard but a bite is a bite and is not acceptable at our place. So she get's the "NO" growl and is released. I then walk over to her bowl to pick it up (It's completely empty) and she bites me again.

    Is this behavour because she is now 7 months old and she is challenging me? We have noticed now that she is much more agressive with Diesel in her play and she is continually mounting Diesel to dominate him.

    I need to stop this behaviour NOW but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm hoping Mal has some tips.

    I've banned DH (darling husband) from feeding her as she isn't doing it to him and I'm going to start back to the training sessions again with her.

    I'm also thinking she thinks I'm below her in the pack order and that is why she's being agressive. Any other time she is perfect walks on a slack lead right by my left leg perfectly, sits and stays, goes down and stays, comes when called.
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskymum View Post
    Hi Guys

    I have a little problem with Gypsy. She has started to get agressive with me. Let me explain...

    Over this last week I have been doing the normal routine for feeding times. I get both dogs to sit and stay while I place their bowls on the ground. I then give the comand to each dog to eat. That's fine no worries.

    Gypsy usually finishes first and she will come and sit at my feel. I give her a pat and praise her for being a good girl and then I usually release her. But over this last week she has become agressive with me. When she comes and sits after eating I give her a pat and she starts to bare her teeth at me and then she bites me. Not hard but a bite is a bite and is not acceptable at our place. So she get's the "NO" growl and is released. I then walk over to her bowl to pick it up (It's completely empty) and she bites me again.

    Is this behavour because she is now 7 months old and she is challenging me? We have noticed now that she is much more agressive with Diesel in her play and she is continually mounting Diesel to dominate him.

    I need to stop this behaviour NOW but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm hoping Mal has some tips.

    I've banned DH (darling husband) from feeding her as she isn't doing it to him and I'm going to start back to the training sessions again with her.

    I'm also thinking she thinks I'm below her in the pack order and that is why she's being agressive. Any other time she is perfect walks on a slack lead right by my left leg perfectly, sits and stays, goes down and stays, comes when called.
    Maybe implement k9force's Triangle of Temptation (TOT) with her along with NILIF if you haven't already? Oh and a visit to the vet to make sure that she's not in pain from something?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Maybe implement k9force's Triangle of Temptation (TOT) with her along with NILIF if you haven't already? Oh and a visit to the vet to make sure that she's not in pain from something?
    Hi Angela's Gone Batty

    I've not heard of TOT beofre. Where do I find that info? And what does NILIF mean? Sorry if I'm a bit daft lol.
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    This is where I got the information for NILIF, found it very very easy to understand. Clea has provided the link to K9 Force for you!

    Nothing in Life is Free

  6. #6

    Default

    Hi Huskymum

    Sorry to hear about your girls dominating issues, i'm sure Mal will be of some help to you & your girl.

    Ummm i dont think Mal will agree with the advice from K9force tho as he hates the guy with a passion

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Thanks for that. I'll have a squiz.
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    This is where I got the information for NILIF, found it very very easy to understand. Clea has provided the link to K9 Force for you!

    Nothing in Life is Free
    We already do the NILIF thing anyway. They have to earn all their pats and food treats etc..
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Floyd View Post
    Hi Huskymum

    Sorry to hear about your girls dominating issues, i'm sure Mal will be of some help to you & your girl.

    Ummm i dont think Mal will agree with the advice from K9force tho as he hates the guy with a passion
    Thanks for that. I'll have a look and see what they have to say. We have a pretty good behaviourist available to us before i get him involved.

    I can't understand why she is being like this she's been a great dog so far.
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskymum View Post
    Thanks for that. I'll have a look and see what they have to say. We have a pretty good behaviourist available to us before i get him involved.

    I can't understand why she is being like this she's been a great dog so far.
    I was merely suggesting the program, it is gentle, positively reinforced and does seem to fix dominance issues

    Personally I feel that the more you have in your 'arsenal' (so to speak) the better.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •