Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: My Lily and Our Dilemma?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Yep Anne and Cleasanta, I think you are both right and the benefit of the doubt has to be given until PROVEN otherwise.

    So OP, not I don't think another dog/puppy/friend whatever you wish to call it should be purchased for your Lily. Perhaps your time and energy would be better spent in training her how to walk politely and correctly in the first place. This is only going to happen with another dog, now, isn't it?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Our Mother's terrier used to drag her. They had a system that worked well. As she was 80, it helped her up the inclines. I am not joking.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I now have another dilemma.. Lily has had no friends ever, she's really playful and energetic and drags me when we go walking.. do you guys think she'd like a young friend to play with from the RSPCA or something of the like?

    I was just about to reply about that also, you beat me to it Anomad ...


    ohh **** she must be the strongest foxy yet to be able to drag an adult.


  4. #24

    Default

    I'm 20. When I say drag I don't mean literally, she's always pulling on the leash coz she gets really excited to go for walks and she pretty much chokes herself when I'm walking her. My partners never tried training her until recently we've taught her to sit and lie down on her stomach.

    I'm actually alright at looking after and raising dogs, but have never had any experience in dogs breeding. The reason I asked what I asked is purely because we're really attached to this dog and felt it would be more special if we had another pup from her. Would it be easier to understand if I put it this way? Would you prefer to have your own child which is your blood or adopt a child? Anyway I've decided against her having pups after the opinions expressed.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waymoz View Post
    I'm 20. When I say drag I don't mean literally, she's always pulling on the leash coz she gets really excited to go for walks and she pretty much chokes herself when I'm walking her. My partners never tried training her until recently we've taught her to sit and lie down on her stomach.

    I'm actually alright at looking after and raising dogs, but have never had any experience in dogs breeding. The reason I asked what I asked is purely because we're really attached to this dog and felt it would be more special if we had another pup from her. Would it be easier to understand if I put it this way? Would you prefer to have your own child which is your blood or adopt a child? Anyway I've decided against her having pups after the opinions expressed.
    I'm very gald you will not be continuing with your idea to breed from her. You have obviously gauged how shocked we all are at the thought of someone considering breeding from a 10 year old crossbred.

    I also point out that very few ppl here will equate or compare the breeding of a dog with the breeding/birth of a human child, no matter how much we are all lovers of dogs. Please remember your dog is a dog, not a human.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I'm glad you've decided not to breed from her, I wonder though, why she hasn't been desexed to this point?

    If you want to get another dog, (at her age) I'd suggest getting a slightly older pup or dog. I wouldn't get a baby puppy.... It'd be like asking a grandma to full time look after a baby lol.

    Best of luck!
    Mummies little 12 years in the making..... and Daddies little ratbag!!
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/msbeanie05/IMG_1247.jpg
    Come visit AusDog!

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    I'm very gald you will not be continuing with your idea to breed from her. You have obviously gauged how shocked we all are at the thought of someone considering breeding from a 10 year old crossbred.

    I also point out that very few ppl here will equate or compare the breeding of a dog with the breeding/birth of a human child, no matter how much we are all lovers of dogs. Please remember your dog is a dog, not a human.
    Yeah I can understand your point, it just seemed it would've been more special if it was a descendant of Lily rather than an unrelated dog.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waymoz View Post
    Yeah I can understand your point, it just seemed it would've been more special if it was a descendant of Lily rather than an unrelated dog.

    I too can understand where you are coming from - more than you know actually. Out of all the dogs I've spent my life with, there was one I would have loved to have a pup from. But she was not a dog to be bred from. Although pedigree, she was not a specimen good enough to breed from, simple as that.
    I also realised as I got older that a pup from her meant nothing - it would never be her, it could never be as special as her, no matter how much I thought so at the time. I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Queensland. Australia
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    I too can understand where you are coming from - more than you know actually. Out of all the dogs I've spent my life with, there was one I would have loved to have a pup from. But she was not a dog to be bred from. Although pedigree, she was not a specimen good enough to breed from, simple as that.
    I also realised as I got older that a pup from her meant nothing - it would never be her, it could never be as special as her, no matter how much I thought so at the time. I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you.
    D.A I can totally relate to your post. I've felt that emotional roller coaster too.

  10. #30

    Default

    After getting over the excitement of puppies and doing some research and reading. We've decided we're just going to give Lily all the attention until she passes before worrying about having a new pup in the house. Really don't want to think about all the things that could've gone wrong had I not have done some reading and questioning. Thread closed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •