Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 117

Thread: The Truth

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    My late ex husband was Dutch. They celebrated on the 6th, (I think) Sinta claas and Peet (sp) with the pressys etc and Christmas day was a holy, church, family day. That suited us well, Kids were there for that then we had our own.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Floyd View Post
    Hi Dorte..

    we have 2 chrissie's,seeing as my oh has German x Italian heritage, we celebrate chrissie on 24th eve, dinner, mass & open some pressies from family, i still want my traditional Aussie chrissie for my kids on 25th, so that's when Santa comes & we celebrate Aussie style, bbq brekkie, lunch & dinner & stay at home so the kids can enjoy their pressies in peace

    Do any of the European heritage folks here still celebrate St Nickolas Day on 16th December?....we do, it's so much fun & the kids & adults luv the sweets & home baked goodies

    hooray for Aldi stores, i just buy the German sweets from them, saves me all that baking
    I'm from Denmark and I have held up the tradition of opening presents on the 24th. We have Christmas dinner (Turkey...Duck...Pork roast) and eat Ris a'la mande with warm cherry sauce, which is kinda like rice pudding with chopped almonds. I hide a whole almond in the dessert and who ever gets it...get a special present

    Yep...I have been to Aldi too to get some special cookies etc

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    My late ex husband was Dutch. They celebrated on the 6th, (I think) Sinta claas and Peet (sp) with the pressys etc and Christmas day was a holy, church, family day. That suited us well, Kids were there for that then we had our own.
    Sinterklass...I think

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Sinterklass...I think
    we got some dutch friends, & thats what my Dutch friends call it, Sinterklass.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    I LOVE the European chrissie cookies...chocolate snacks!!! I bake them myself and sometimes have to get things imported to actually be able to make them.

    Christmas is the worst time for me here in Australia. I love the snow at Christmas...the kids running around having snowball fights...smelling the danish christmas. Walking through Copenhagen with all the Christmas decorations.

    Feeling homesick now.....

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    We call Santa Claus...Julemand Jule = Christmas Mand = man

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    I'd LOVE to see a white x-mas....just once
    I've never even seen/felt snow!

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    I LOVE the European chrissie cookies...chocolate snacks!!! I bake them myself and sometimes have to get things imported to actually be able to make them.

    Christmas is the worst time for me here in Australia. I love the snow at Christmas...the kids running around having snowball fights...smelling the danish christmas. Walking through Copenhagen with all the Christmas decorations.

    Feeling homesick now.....

    Dorte.. i'm taking a guess that in "newie" there aint any euro style deli's where you can buy your food supplies from??

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Snow is beautiful...cold...wet...squishy...great fun!

    I really miss my white christmas!

    It is not very often it happens...but waking up on the 24th and snow has fallen. A BIG roast dinner tastes better too when you are hungry and have been out in the cold!

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Floyd View Post
    Dorte.. i'm taking a guess that in "newie" there aint any euro style deli's where you can buy your food supplies from??
    I have found a shop called Bibina here in Newcastle area, but they do not have that many Danish things. Heaps of Dutch...German etc. I might just get them to import some stuff for me

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •