Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: Keeping Alpha Position

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkay View Post
    I' sorry Fedra but you say that what HuskyMum posted was "cr*p", then proceeded to post something that, basically, said some very similar points in a slightly more detailed way.
    That's why I said most of it, and not all of it

    Dogs as a matter of fact are NOT exclusively pack animals. Recently I spent a week in a small country town in eastern Europe that was full, and I mean FULL of strays. As behaviourism is one of my major interests, I studied a bit (as far as time allowed me) the way they behave, the way they act. Some of them were quite happy to stroll along alone for days, some of them were forming groups, most of them were solo.

    A lot of "alpha" theories are coming from 40-50 years ago and to these day people still hold on to them and do not look outside the square. Most of those theories were made upon studies of captured wolves (not necesseraly caged, but those in reserve, national parks etc.) , and their behaviour and packing order is rather different from those in the wild (where men has no influence whatsoever). There's a great book about it all in David Mech's book "Wolves, behaviour, ecology and conservation). Mech is biologist who dedicated more then 50 years studying wolves both free and in reserves and captivity.

    Also, dogs are not wolves, nor they're wolf hybrids, not even huskies or malamutes. Some breeds like Czechoslovakian wolfdog for example are. So many breeds are actually very far from wolves. So firstly - this "alpha" theory don't apply because many use it not knowing even how wolves function and for that matter they make mistakes - logically.

    Dogs are social animals, and yes, they do need leadership, but not such harsh leadership the way Huskymum described.

    I have dogs all my life, of all kinds and sizes, my favourite are flock guarding breeds (and they are beyond strongheaded for that matter). I never really cared if they walk in front or behind me, they all slept on my bed, I ate at my leisure not really caring if I will become less of an "alpha", they walked through doors before or after me (gosh! what a miserable life we'd all have if I was gonna be careful each second of the day for 14 years not to do that!). Most of big "no-no" stuff I did and I do and I don't know, but I never had a problem with my dogs for that matter. I won't say that I never used alpha roll, or other "wonderful" methods, because I'd be lying. Unfortunately I have, but thankfully I know better now.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Hey Huskymum,

    Nice thread, by the way.

    I think all dog owners will read OP's post and take it or leave it (which is their choice) or use some things on the list, and not others.

    I use a heck of a lot of those things when first acquiring a new dog. Later down the track, I find alot of things go by the wayside as we bond and the dog learns what I expect of him/her.

    When encountering problems, however, I have found that using the 'alpha' status truly helps me in dealing with them.
    I have also found that using them, my dog appears much happier.

    Anyway, thanks for the reminder Huskymum. Appreciated here.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Hey Huskymum,

    Nice thread, by the way.

    I think all dog owners will read OP's post and take it or leave it (which is their choice) or use some things on the list, and not others.

    I use a heck of a lot of those things when first acquiring a new dog. Later down the track, I find alot of things go by the wayside as we bond and the dog learns what I expect of him/her.

    When encountering problems, however, I have found that using the 'alpha' status truly helps me in dealing with them.
    I have also found that using them, my dog appears much happier.

    Anyway, thanks for the reminder Huskymum. Appreciated here.
    I agree totally DA
    The best things in life, aren't things

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Hi Devil's Advocate & Tkay

    Thank you for you kind words. I have debated over writting a reply to this but I feel I MUST defend myself from a very harsh and unfriendly attack.

    I must say that this particlular document helped me to understand the "Alpha" role and I used it for a guide as I had never owned a Husky before and I was reading anything that I could to help me to relate to my own dog. I thought forums were supposed to be about sharing advise and you can use what ever feels right for you. Take it or leave it???? It worked for me and I thought it might help someone else. I apologise if you found it unhelpful or incorrect.

    I am VERY OFFENDED that someone thought that I had posted "CRAP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Whilst others may not have agreed with the content or parts of it I think the language expressed here was completely uncalled for! Perhaps they should have PM me instead and pointed out their point of view and then perhaps I could have done my own research and made up my own mind!!

    We are all still learning and any advise is more than welcome I would really appreciate it but to be replyed to in such a harsh way is truly hurtful.

    As for the "power trip" comment well..................
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    I agree it was offensive language used and would possibly come off better for that poster had they just expressed their views in a more tolerant way. After all, we are all entitled to them and entitled to not agree with anything someone says or posts.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    I agree it was offensive language used and would possibly come off better for that poster had they just expressed their views in a more tolerant way. After all, we are all entitled to them and entitled to not agree with anything someone says or posts.
    I completely agree with you!
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskymum View Post
    Hi Devil's Advocate & Tkay

    Thank you for you kind words. I have debated over writting a reply to this but I feel I MUST defend myself from a very harsh and unfriendly attack.

    I must say that this particlular document helped me to understand the "Alpha" role and I used it for a guide as I had never owned a Husky before and I was reading anything that I could to help me to relate to my own dog. I thought forums were supposed to be about sharing advise and you can use what ever feels right for you. Take it or leave it???? It worked for me and I thought it might help someone else. I apologise if you found it unhelpful or incorrect.

    I am VERY OFFENDED that someone thought that I had posted "CRAP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Whilst others may not have agreed with the content or parts of it I think the language expressed here was completely uncalled for! Perhaps they should have PM me instead and pointed out their point of view and then perhaps I could have done my own research and made up my own mind!!

    We are all still learning and any advise is more than welcome I would really appreciate it but to be replyed to in such a harsh way is truly hurtful.

    As for the "power trip" comment well..................
    Yep, I'd feel the same way. It does make me wonder how many newcomers find this forum only to pee off pretty quick.
    We are all adults, we all want to discuss and learn what's best for our animals. Perhaps learning respect and politeness should be added?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Yep, I'd feel the same way. It does make me wonder how many newcomers find this forum only to pee off pretty quick.
    We are all adults, we all want to discuss and learn what's best for our animals. Perhaps learning respect and politeness should be added?

    This type of discussion has come up many times in a couple of other forums I am on. There seem to be two sides, one seen as "sugar coating" if they express views in a tolerant way..others seeing that a blunt and abrasively expressed post gets the point across faster and they only have the pet's welfare in mind. To them it does not matter if feathers are ruffled in the process.

    I think we all have that view, that the pet's welfare or discussions on it are valuable. We are all human though too, not automations behind a screen.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Metung
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Hi Huskymum,
    Read your OP and was quite concerned initially, as having owned Huskies for years my thoughts were for the independence of the breed, you can't have full control of a husky but you can have full understanding of a husky, to have full control you have a broken dog...........but seeing you are only using it as a guide, the more time you spend with you dog and watch their behaviour, the more you will understand. They are a truly delightful dog.......

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    I'm really sorry you find yourself offended Huskymum, that wasn't my intention at all. However, I still hold my opinion about what was written in that text. Clearly, I look at it from dogs perspective and I absolutely do not agree with most of it. So, sorry again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •