Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Snow Dogs in the Tropics

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kewarra Beach, Cairns
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    You really annoy me. Mainly because you think you know all this stuff which you do not.

    No one told me this, I learnt it.
    I work with a vet 5 days a week!

    Do you know why they say dont shave a dog with a double coat? Because they need it for this exact reason! These breeds DONT suffer heat stroke more than others, Im assuming you just made that up.

    Why use sheep as an example? Because its THE EXACT SAME!
    My grandfather doesnt sheer his sheep till the end of Summer because 1)They get sunburnt and 2) It keeps them cooler!
    I could have used the horse as an example if that makes you happier. A horse doesnt need a rug in the middle of Winter because their hair stands up and traps warm air, same as in summer.

    As a sum up, they DONT suffer from heat stroke more than any other breed. You keep them cool in the exact same way you keep a Pug cool, or a Dobie cool.
    They are double coated. Their hair traps cool/warm hair, depending on how hot/cold they are.
    As an answer to your question, its not ok to walk ANY breed around on a hot day at noon.

    PFFFFT, basic knowledge? You have no idea!
    I dont care how many days a week you work with a vet, my wife was a vet nurse for 7 years. I did not make anything up, its a fact, those breeds are affected by heat a lot more than others. I have worked at the largest training centre in Sydney for over ten years, both training dogs & cleaning kennels & tending to the dogs. In that time I gained a lot of experience in all aspects of K9 care, why is it some of you vet nurses think you experts in animal care/behaviour?? I have found & my wife agrees that there is a hell of a lot more experience to be gained in the real world than tucked up in a vet surgery! You wont understand that though. I"m not really interested in your grandfather or his sheep..... How can hair trap cool air when there isn"t any in the first place, tropics, remember? Read over it again slowly. Answer to my question, I never asked if it was ok to walk a dog in the heat, I already know that it isn"t. As I said, ten years, that was just one kennel I have worked at. I"m glad you said I annoy you, I find your comments quite funny! Now, I make over $800 every week traing dogs & giving advice without one single complaint, I"ve done the TAFE courses & studied K9 behaviour in the US. I would appreciate it if you could not post if you just want to bag me, believe me, if you start a thread I wont post, what would be the point. Now stop being so hostile & leave me alone.............BTW, I do not claim to know everything about this "stuff", every dog I meet teaches me something new, & everyday I gain more knowledge.
    Last edited by Malinois-72; 10-26-2009 at 04:55 PM.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malinois-72 View Post
    I dont care how many days a week you work with a vet, my wife was a vet nurse for 7 years. I did not make anything up, its a fact, those breeds are affected by heat a lot more than others. I have worked at the largest training centre in Sydney for over ten years, both training dogs & cleaning kennels & tending to the dogs. In that time I gained a lot of experience in all aspects of K9 care, why is it some of you vet nurses think you experts in animal care/behaviour?? I have found & my wife agrees that there is a hell of a lot more experience to be gained in the real world than tucked up in a vet surgery! You wont understand that though. I"m not really interested in your grandfather or his sheep..... How can hair trap cool air when there isn"t any in the first place, tropics, remember? Read over it again slowly. Answer to my question, I never asked if it was ok to walk a dog in the heat, I already know that it isn"t. As I said, ten years, that was just one kennel I have worked at. I"m glad you said I annoy you, I find your comments quite funny! Now, I make over $800 every week traing dogs & giving advice without one single complaint, I"ve done the TAFE courses & studied K9 behaviour in the US. I would appreciate it if you could not post if you just want to bag me, believe me, if you start a thread I wont post, what would be the point. Now stop being so hostile & leave me alone.............BTW, I do not claim to know everything about this "stuff", every dog I meet teaches me something new, & everyday I gain more knowledge.


    Mal I was just wondering if you could give me a link to that Training Kennel please?
    And i would also be interested in what qualifications you have attained , I certainly wasn't aware that TAFE had a course for training/handling , is it affiliated with any other associations ,groups ?
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malinois-72 View Post
    I dont care how many days a week you work with a vet, my wife was a vet nurse for 7 years. I did not make anything up, its a fact, those breeds are affected by heat a lot more than others. I have worked at the largest training centre in Sydney for over ten years, both training dogs & cleaning kennels & tending to the dogs. In that time I gained a lot of experience in all aspects of K9 care, why is it some of you vet nurses think you experts in animal care/behaviour?? I have found & my wife agrees that there is a hell of a lot more experience to be gained in the real world than tucked up in a vet surgery! You wont understand that though. I"m not really interested in your grandfather or his sheep..... How can hair trap cool air when there isn"t any in the first place, tropics, remember? Read over it again slowly. Answer to my question, I never asked if it was ok to walk a dog in the heat, I already know that it isn"t. As I said, ten years, that was just one kennel I have worked at. I"m glad you said I annoy you, I find your comments quite funny! Now, I make over $800 every week traing dogs & giving advice without one single complaint, I"ve done the TAFE courses & studied K9 behaviour in the US. I would appreciate it if you could not post if you just want to bag me, believe me, if you start a thread I wont post, what would be the point. Now stop being so hostile & leave me alone.............BTW, I do not claim to know everything about this "stuff", every dog I meet teaches me something new, & everyday I gain more knowledge.
    I think you are the one who is being hostile here! If you have soo much knowledge...then please share it or shut up
    I saw your response to MYF in another thread and not once did you offer any of your 'experience' or 'knowledge' to her thread...just a blunt response of "learn to read your dog". This forum is here for ALL dog ppl...not just the experienced! How can ppl learn if the educated trainers like yourself treat ppl like dumb dumbs who shouldn't even own a dog?
    Dogs are a family pet...ppl breed their dogs to sell to nice little families...so how are we (families) ment to learn anything when we just get shot down for asking other's for advise

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malinois-72 View Post
    I dont care how many days a week you work with a vet, my wife was a vet nurse for 7 years. I did not make anything up, its a fact, those breeds are affected by heat a lot more than others. I have worked at the largest training centre in Sydney for over ten years, both training dogs & cleaning kennels & tending to the dogs. In that time I gained a lot of experience in all aspects of K9 care, why is it some of you vet nurses think you experts in animal care/behaviour?? I have found & my wife agrees that there is a hell of a lot more experience to be gained in the real world than tucked up in a vet surgery! You wont understand that though. I"m not really interested in your grandfather or his sheep..... How can hair trap cool air when there isn"t any in the first place, tropics, remember? Read over it again slowly. Answer to my question, I never asked if it was ok to walk a dog in the heat, I already know that it isn"t. As I said, ten years, that was just one kennel I have worked at. I"m glad you said I annoy you, I find your comments quite funny! Now, I make over $800 every week traing dogs & giving advice without one single complaint, I"ve done the TAFE courses & studied K9 behaviour in the US. I would appreciate it if you could not post if you just want to bag me, believe me, if you start a thread I wont post, what would be the point. Now stop being so hostile & leave me alone.............BTW, I do not claim to know everything about this "stuff", every dog I meet teaches me something new, & everyday I gain more knowledge.
    I dont care about your experiences, how much you make in a week, or about how long your wife was a vet nurse.

    I didnt post to bag you! Did you even READ my first post!? You are so IGNORANT! You dont care about my grandfathers sheep? What the hell is your problem!? I was proving a point!! How does you being such a great dog trainer mean you know about their coats?
    Its not a fact. Show me somewhere I can find out its a fact and I'll contemplate believing you.
    Tucked up in a surgery? Not in the real world? Oh riiiiiiight, so working in a vet isnt the real world. What did I just tell you about the sheep farm!!!!!!? Thats not the real world?
    Why do we think we know about animal care and behaviour? Oh I dont know, I just help out with surgerys and stuff like that I guess.

    Leave you alone? Wont post in my threads? GROW UP! Its a freakin' forum!\

    I did a quick search for you cause im so helpful.
    Husky (Huskies): hot weather, plastic kiddie pool, south mississippi

    The best way to keep my husky cool in the hot weather?

    Siberian Husky Breed History/Information on Siberian Huskies

    Adopt A Husky - Education

    Why you shouldn't shave your long haired double coated dog. - How to Choose a Dog Grooming Service - Epinions.com
    Education not Legislation

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Oh, and I realise most are concerning Huskies, but it goes for Poms, Samoyeds, Collies, Shelties, Akitas, Malamutes, 'Eskimo dog', Aussie Shepherd, Bernese Mountain Dog, Pyrenees(sp?), Keeshound, Newfies and the Saint Bernard. A list from Tkays thread.
    Education not Legislation

  6. #26

    Default

    Yes a double coat insulates guys, and yes no way should it be shaved off as this disrupts the natural insulative properties.

    But cold climate bred dogs have more than just coat behind their ability to survive in extreme cold, their fat layers and metabolisms can vary slightly to enable them to best utilise their nutrition etc to maximise body heat generation.

    I think the basic point of this whole thing was more about maintaining those dogs in subtropical climates. Dogs need exercise to be maintained, and this is where the problem lies. Because any dog can overheat quickly exercising in extreme heat, but heavily coated dogs can find it harder to cool once they start to heat up (remember the insulating properties? The coat traps the body heat and retains it...)

    Not too many sheep in the subtropics Myf, but your point is very valid. There is a reason sheep tend to be kept in dryer areas, as the humidity can play havoc with the heat-release from a double coat or a wool one.

    I'm actually surprised that this is degenerating so fast, as I thought everyone was raising good points...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Yeah Natty, I didnt mean the sheep in the tropics, just the fur-wool isulating concept
    Education not Legislation

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kewarra Beach, Cairns
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Mal I was just wondering if you could give me a link to that Training Kennel please?
    And i would also be interested in what qualifications you have attained , I certainly wasn't aware that TAFE had a course for training/handling , is it affiliated with any other associations ,groups ?
    Tafe was basic animal care only, never said training at tafe.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kewarra Beach, Cairns
    Posts
    632

    Talking

    I can only go by what I have seen with my own eyes, screw your books! Ozzymum, I"m hostile, take a look in the mirror! I"ve told you all my experience & yet again {ozzymum} I dont proclaim to know everything. Your a nasty bunch here, seems if someone does not agree with you all or offers a different opinion the get shafted. Sounds like the vet nurse knows all, & chop, If I say the name of where I worked in Sydney then that will give you all another reason to open up!!! I"m out of here, I"ll just keep traing & having success with that like I always have. I'll leave the forums to the bitches. BTW, aussiemilf, or whatever your name is, I asked you to leave me alone & I would show you the same, thanks for nothing. I bet you never shut up until you get the last word, terrible manners, you get them from your grandfather as well?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kewarra Beach, Cairns
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymum View Post
    I think you are the one who is being hostile here! If you have soo much knowledge...then please share it or shut up
    I saw your response to MYF in another thread and not once did you offer any of your 'experience' or 'knowledge' to her thread...just a blunt response of "learn to read your dog". This forum is here for ALL dog ppl...not just the experienced! How can ppl learn if the educated trainers like yourself treat ppl like dumb dumbs who shouldn't even own a dog?
    Dogs are a family pet...ppl breed their dogs to sell to nice little families...so how are we (families) ment to learn anything when we just get shot down for asking other's for advise
    Who is getting shot down now??? Wake up!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •