Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cane Toads

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Sunshine Coast, Qld

    Default Cane Toads

    Does anyone else worry about cane toads?

    Holly never paid them much attention but Jenna, being a typical puppy, is much more inquisitive. She has tried to pick a couple of baby ones up in her mouth. I've been right there and got them straight out but now I am paranoid about letting her out at night. She loves to mooch round in the evening and I end up following her round to make sure she doesn't try to eat any.

    Just how dangerous are they? How do dogs that live outside cope? Am I just overly paranoid about them?

    The best things in life, aren't things

  2. #2


    Tkay...i dont know much about cane toad poisoning etc, i found some info from google tho, hope it is helpful for you.



    These ugly creatures have glands behind their eyes which emit a poison as a defence mechanism when mouthed by dogs and cats. This toxin causes profuse salivation, foaming from the mouth and acute vomiting.

    Less commonly, smaller dogs and puppies may tremble, collapse and convulse requiring urgent veterinary care. In most cases though all you need to do is rinse your pets mouth and gums with gently running water for a few minutes (a garden hose is a good source or a laundry tap for smaller dogs).

    Most dogs are smart enough to learn from their first encounter and cats are smarter still, they rarely get caught out by a toad!

    During the Summer season, toad poisoning is our biggest single cause of after hours enquiries.

    Toxic Toads

    Toxic Toads

    At this time of year, toads are rearing their 'oh so ugly' warty heads and causing terrible troubles with our pooches.

    Toads are dangerous amphibians. They are a common cause of poisoning in dogs and, less commonly, they poison cats.

    Toads exude a milky white toxin mostly from poison glands behind their eyes, but elsewhere on their body as well. They squeeze this poison onto the surface of their skin when they are under threat. When treated roughly, they can even squirt the poison up to two metres.

    Dogs and cats are poisoned when they mouth the toad or sometimes when the toad's poison gets into their eyes.

    The toad's poison is also dangerous to humans and deaths have occurred. Some adults have even been affected when they absorbed the poison through cuts in their skin after handling a toad.

    Keelback Snakes are not susceptible to the venom and Crows and Water Rats have learnt to turn the toad over and eat only the non-poisonous internal organs.

    In China, they have used toad poison as an expectorant, a heart stimulant and as a diuretic. It has also been used as a remedy for toothache and sinusitis. In Africa and South America, toad venom has been used on the tips of arrows as a poison.

    Toads were introduced into Australia in 1935 to control the cane beetle - a disastrous move as toads have no natural enemies in Australia. Australian Terriers and Fox Terriers also think this was a dumb idea, as they are the breeds most often affected by toad poisoning.

    Signs of Toad Poisoning

    You need to know what to look for if your pet is poisoned and what to do.

    Due to its corrosive and irritant nature, the toad's venom will cause profuse salivation soon after your pet bites it. Pets affected by the irritant venom will paw their mouth due to the pain. If you see your pet drooling and distressed but haven't seen it attack a toad, look at its gums. If they are red and inflamed, toad poisoning is likely.

    Vomiting often occurs, especially in cats. Cats also show hindquarter weakness and a fixed trance-like stare.

    If your dog is poisoned, it will usually suffer from seizures or convulsions. These convulsions are often fatal unless you seek urgent veterinary attention.

    The poison can also affect the heart of dogs and cats, causing immediate cardiac arrest.

    The poison can also affect the heart of dogs and cats, causing immediate cardiac arrest.

    After it has mouthed a toad, it is vital that you remove all trace of the poison from your pets' teeth and gums. Using a jet of water from a hose is an effective way of doing this. . The water jet should be directed forward out of your pet's mouth, not down into its throat.

    Rubbing the teeth and gums with a soft rag containing human toothpaste may also help to remove the toxin.

    How Can You Protect Your Pets?

    Toads are a nocturnal menace. They regularly poison dogs, such as Terriers and working dogs such as Cattle Dogs, Border Collies and Kelpies due to the strong predatory drive such dogs have. However, any dog can become excited enough to chase and mouth a toad.

    To prevent the problem, allow your dog outside at night on if you are with it. Take it out on a lead if the need arises.

    Place two or three bells on your dog's collar. The bells will not affect the toad, but you will learn to recognise the telltale jingling sound the bells make when your dog is 'suspiciously active'. Immediate investigation when the bells are ringing may save your dog's life.

    You can train your dog not to attack toads. Each evening, take your dog out on a lead. Wait for the first sign of your dog showing interest in the toad and command it to 'LEAVE' the toad alone. As you issue this command, turn and lead your dog off in the opposite direction for a few steps and praise your dog if it follows you. Return to the toad again and repeat the process as soon as your dog shown any interest in the toad. Stop the session if your dog it getting too excited.

    If your pet is poisoned

    If you suspect a toad has poisoned your pet, you will have a good chance of saving its life with prompt action.

    Transport the dog to your vet as quickly and quietly as possible. Keep your pet cool (as they overheat when convulsing) and gently restrained. If it is convulsing, it can damage itself by knocking against objects and it may not recognise you. It may also become quite vicious. Handle an effected animal with extreme caution.

    Handle an effected animal with extreme caution.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008


    Candy is the same...if she spots a toad, she plays with it. I've even caught her chewing up a dried out dead one. It's a worry!
    She barks at them..that's when I know to go out and bring her inside.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Moggill, Queensland


    Leo and I go out "toad hunting" during the warmer months when they're active. He's quite good with them. Flips them over on their back to bite them when playing or sits near one and waits for me to get it.

    He has only licked one once or twice (that I know of, of course), and he only got some salivation. He was fine with a quick mouth rinse.

    As for the ugly comment, I quite like cane toads. They are absolute masters of survival.

  5. #5

    Default Cane toad danger

    I wanted to share with you some information on the dangers of cane toads coming into contact with dogs. Larger breed dogs may have only mild symptoms following mouthing a cane toad, however smaller dogs can die very quickly, as I have sadly discovered when I recently lost my dog.
    Cane toads are extremely dangerous and toxic to dogs, following the tragic death of my 11 month old French bull dog I asked the vet what the best treatment is following a dog mouthing a cane toad, she said you must repeatedly wipe out your dogs mouth/ gums until you can get to a vet, hosing the dogs mouth she felt could cause some of the poison to go into their stomach. Our dog passed away very quickly, within 20 minutes, even though we got him to a vet, he went into a coma and cardiac arrest.
    Please watch your dogs at night if they are the type to pick things up and get them to a vet very quickly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts