Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 258

Thread: What is Your Favorite Dog Breed?

  1. #211
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovefluke View Post
    I have lots of favourites but the ones that come to mind are beagles, kelpies, labs, collies, fox terriers and jack russel terriers

    Wow!
    See I love the Kelpie, but could never own a Beagle or Lab, and althought I own a JRT and love him to death, he's not my breed of choice, neither is the Foxy. But I would own a Collie. Rough Collies are gorgeous.
    Education not Legislation

  2. #212

    Default

    I love beagles I also have lots of other breeds I admire but won't own for various reasons.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    Wow!
    See I love the Kelpie, but could never own a Beagle or Lab, and althought I own a JRT and love him to death, he's not my breed of choice, neither is the Foxy. But I would own a Collie. Rough Collies are gorgeous.
    I used to think that of labs, until recently. i do obedience and in our classes there are several labs with really good owners. the dogs are a joy to be around and just likable .......A really well trained labrador is a great dog. the beagle however, no matter how hard some owners try and how much effort they put in. The nose still comes first, second and third
    Pets are forever

  4. #214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    I used to think that of labs, until recently. i do obedience and in our classes there are several labs with really good owners. the dogs are a joy to be around and just likable .......A really well trained labrador is a great dog. the beagle however, no matter how hard some owners try and how much effort they put in. The nose still comes first, second and third
    I agree about the labs in that well trained & handled labs are so sweet & nice to be around but your comman backyard lab seems to be nuts 9 times out of 10.

  5. #215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    the beagle however, no matter how hard some owners try and how much effort they put in. The nose still comes first, second and third
    I've put a fair bit of work into my beagle and I can honestly say that while she still loves to scent (and she does have a very high scent drive) I don't have any trouble getting focus from her when I ask for it. In fact, she's beaten labs, GSDs, BCs, and other breeds in the obedience ring.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
    I agree about the labs in that well trained & handled labs are so sweet & nice to be around but your comman backyard lab seems to be nuts 9 times out of 10.
    I think that should be 9 times out of 10, your regular untrained backyard DOG is nuts :P Maybe I've just been unlucky with neighbours and the ones with well behaved dogs, you can't even tell have a dog.

  7. #217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissTeaAddict View Post
    I think that should be 9 times out of 10, your regular untrained backyard DOG is nuts :P Maybe I've just been unlucky with neighbours and the ones with well behaved dogs, you can't even tell have a dog.
    Quite true really it's not only the labs but I do find that as they are such a smart dog with a high play & learn drive they are really badly affected by lack of mental stimulation & exercise. It just seems to drive them nuts so then when they do get some attention they are so ramped & bouncing off the walls that they cann't contain themselves at all.
    They are just wired to learn, work & feel of use & being shut up in a backyard with no new smell, sights or sounds & limited interaction with the family of course the poor babies go mad.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    East side of Melbourne
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Mine is a Bull Terrier. Some people say that they can be nasty dogs and what not. My parents had Jemma, a Bull Terrier and everyone warned them that they should get rid of her and ...... From the day I was bought home from the hospital she became my best friend and my protector. She would stand over the top of me if someone that she didnt know tried to pick me up. She only ever bit my dad once and he was playing tug of war with her and she grabbed his hand by accident. As soon as she relised she let go and ran inside. Every picture from when I was a kid has her laying in the back ground. They may not be the best looking dog but she was the most loyal, well behaved dog.

  9. #219

    Default

    Well, border terriers, of course!

  10. #220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoarderPoo View Post
    Mine is a Bull Terrier. Some people say that they can be nasty dogs and what not. My parents had Jemma, a Bull Terrier and everyone warned them that they should get rid of her and ...... From the day I was bought home from the hospital she became my best friend and my protector. She would stand over the top of me if someone that she didnt know tried to pick me up. She only ever bit my dad once and he was playing tug of war with her and she grabbed his hand by accident. As soon as she relised she let go and ran inside. Every picture from when I was a kid has her laying in the back ground. They may not be the best looking dog but she was the most loyal, well behaved dog.
    Bull terriers used to be the breed people loved to hate before Pit Bulls started to gain popularity in Australia and like the Pit Bull the dislike was almost always based on naive assumptions.
    I've seen a few good "Bullies" that were great pets, good with kids and like you say loyal and protective.

    I like working breeds myself - they can be a challenge at times but they are well worth the effort.
    I'd have to put the Border Collie on top as my all time favourite with cattle dogs a close second.
    That being said I'm quite happy with the bitsa I have now, Golden Retriever mum crossed with ACD / Kelpie dad.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •