Up until the other day I was all for getting my new dog from either the Pound...Shelter or Rescue but I will now not be getting a dog from the pound because it's just too big a risk.
While at the pound the other day I asked staff were the dogs tested for Heartworm...the answer was "No"...dogs are desexed and vaccinated (C3) upon sale...this means dogs are not checked by a vet when they enter the pound so Parvo runs wild because many dogs have never been vaccinated...so you buy at your own risk.
Since pound dogs are not tested for Heartworm... the risk of buying a dog with it are very high. So I rang a local vet and asked how much would it cost to treat a dog that has Heartworm and was about 30kgs...hold on to your hats people and sit down.
Treatment would cost $400 upwards and the dog could still die so you could end up with a bill of $1000 (possible) and have no dog...not worth the risk IMO. I forgot to ask how much the Heartworm test was to see if the dog was positive...I imagine not cheap either...so guys would you take that risk ?