View Poll Results: Your immediate thoughts /response to hearing the words Pit Bulls .

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Media experience.

    18 26.87%
  • Research/Media experience.

    13 19.40%
  • Friends/Family experience

    8 11.94%
  • Personal experience.

    28 41.79%
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 225

Thread: The Words Pit Bull

  1. #191
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    I have another pit bull thought. ....hmmmm, River's mate.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  2. #192
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Okay, stay with me, this might end up to be a longish post. Personally, I don't believe I have ever met a Pit Bull. I must say, I wouldn't own one myself. I guess there is a bit of fear there, which is most likely due to media rubbish, I am not proud of this, being a GSD owner, but there are other breeds I am far more worried by. When I was about 7 years old, I was playing at a friends house, when their Old English Sheepdog came into the back room of the house (she'd been outside with her pups) and bit me on the leg for no apparent reason. My friends mother then put me on my bike and sent me home bleeding, I then needed stitches. I have had a fear of them ever since. A few years ago, after being at a friends place for about 5 hours, I got up and picked up my handbag to leave and their little dog (he was a mixed breed, and I'm not really sure what, but looked like a little terrier of some sort) launched himself at me and bit my leg, broke the skin and drew blood through jeans and all. It is for this reason that I honestly believe that ANY dog CAN be vicious, and CAN attack people.

    I personally have lived with a "Vicious" dog (yep, she was even deemed this by the council).... When we moved to QLD when I was 11, we had our two female GSD's, we were living on our block of land in a caravan and annex, while my dad was building our house, Dad was in the annex with Gretchen one arvo, and a council guy came around for some kind of house inspection, walked straight into the annex, didn't knock or anything and Gretchen arked up. She considered it her "Home", she was far from vicious, but we were made to put a sign up on our block stating she was a vicious dog. Mind you, we have photos of her with a friend of the families young son sleeping in the back yard and he is using her as a pillow, we also have photos of her dressed up in my pink tutu! It is amazing what idiots perceptions can cause! I would NEVER just walk into someone's home who had a dog unless I was on very close terms with the dog, no matter what the breed!

    I guess through all my rambles here, what I am trying to say is that it's unfair to tar all with one brush. There are Pit Bulls who attack, there are also Pomaranians who attack people, and every breed in between! I personally am not a fan, but I'm also not a massive fan of their look... I like my dogs with fur :P

    Mind you, I was at the big pet store I frequent the other day with Mia, who mind you is still a baby, and still looks like one, and this one woman (she was a little dog owner, dog wasn't with her, but I could tell by what she was buying) wouldn't even walk past us, mind you Mia was in a sit command, and paying more attention to what I was looking at on the shelves.... so it's not just bull breeds lol.....

    I feel for those of you who own Bull breeds, not for owning them, but for societies perceptions. (PS) If you got this far, you deserve a medal!!


    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Nearly 40 years ago , the Alsation/GSD was banned from this country. Would you be happy to see that again ?
    They have really really big bitey ends and I'm not completely sure I would like one in my home...But I would most certainly not want them wiped out.
    I for one wouldn't be happy to see this again. BTW, you do know that Alsations no longer exist, don't you?

    Quote Originally Posted by DogSavvy View Post
    This is my last post on the matter but until I can see proof that EVERY and I do mean EVERY PB owner becomes RESPONSIBLE about the breed they own as well as become RESPONSIBLE owners/handlers when they have their dogs out in public, I might have a different attitude to the breed than I do now. There are quite a few pitties in the area I live and NOT ONE owner I would call responsible. The dogs are either roaming or at the front of their properties unattended and RUSH out at anyone walking past with their dog , OR, the dogs are being walked with chains thick enough to pull a Mac Truck drapped around their dogs necks.
    Not that long ago a friend of mine was walking her GSD off lead in her local park and coming from the opposite direction was a guy with his PB off lead. My friend called her dog, put him on lead and yelled out to the guy would he mind doing the same until they both were well past each other. The guy reacted quite badly to this request and yelled back,"My dog could kill yours any day." Needless to say this upset my friend very much and she is now too fearful to return to that particular park.
    PB breeders need to DRUM responsibilty into EVERY owner they sell a pup to imo , responsibility to their breed and responsibility and RESPECT to other people and to the community in general.
    Everything you have said here goes back to the people, not the breed of dog. EVERY breed out there has irrisponsible owners, people who shouldn't own ANY dog..... I for one am shocked that you own the dogs you do, they've been in the media, with negative images of their own.....

    Quote Originally Posted by DogSavvy View Post
    As to Rotties being a 'real' breed, I meant that because at least MY breed is RECOGNIZED and therefore can be REGISTERED !!! Yours ISN'T and CAN'T !!!
    Now get off my back !
    So I guess this means all cross bred dogs out there aren't "real"?? I have to remember to tell Molly and Jack they aren't real!!
    Last edited by GoodiesGirl; 12-01-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added something else
    Mummies little 12 years in the making..... and Daddies little ratbag!!
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/msbeanie05/IMG_1247.jpg
    Come visit AusDog!

  3. #193
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogSavvy View Post
    One last thing , I have REAL breeds of dogs , a Rottie and a Rottie X Shep !
    I find this comments almost amusing!

    I am not sure if "dogsavvy" is still around or if this thread has "slowed" down, but I still want to put my 2 cents worth in here regarding some of the comments. I do question the "dogsavvy" name though!

    You say you have REAL dogs...Rottie and a Rottie cross...what a load of bull****! What the hell makes this breed any more real than Bull breeds? Do you stand in front of a mirror...banging your fist on your chest and say...I HAVE REAL DOGS? I have had personal experiences with Rottweilers and I would never own one again! Yes...I had a male Rottweiler...bought as a registered puppy from the President of a Rottweiler Club. I think we knew from the second we got him, that we had a problem on our hands due to his obvious extremely dominant nature . I obedience trained this dog on a daily basis...took him to specialised training 3 times a week...I show trained him...he had extensive socialisation etc etc. The real problems started one day we were at our local showgrounds just viewing a show...dog was about 9 months old. A lady walked past us, said "hi...what a beautiful boy you have" and patted our dog on the head...he turned around and lunged at her teeth first for NO reason. 2 days later he was desexed! From that day it got worse and worse. It got to a point where we had to walk him early mornings to be sure not many people were around. We tried loads of things...dog behaviourist . We were hoping that it was just a phase he was in...adolescent etc, because we loved our dog and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. One morning 3 days before his 1 year birthday...he had a go at our youngest son. I put dog outside to cool off. My oldest son had to take the bin out (he was 20 at that point) and dog attacked him...holding on to his arm. Hubby ran out to help and dog turned on him. For what ever reason...he had completely snapped. The breeder was contacted and we told them they needed to take him back, because he was not safe to have around our kids anymore. It was an absolutely heart breaking moment for me. For months after I kept saying to myself...did I do everything...what didn't I do etc??? I KNOW I did everything...I trained my dog a lot more than some people, because I knew he would be a powerful dog and it was necessary.

    I have seen PLENTY of unbalanced rottweilers at dog shows/training and from other rottweiler owners...I have also seen really nice ones. One couple had a male rottweiler...it got out of their backyard, jumped the neighbours fence and mauled their 2 Staffies. I have seen a lot of nervous, skiddish, dominant and aggressive rottweilers. I don't put it down to the breed...I put it down to the breeding! You can't expect to get a balanced dog if it was bred from nervous, skiddish, dominant and aggressive dogs!

    My point is...just because of my VERY personal experience with aggressive rottweilers...doesn't mean I am screaming for a ban on them. Nope...I don't trust them anymore...nope, I would never own one again!

    I can't say I know from personal experience that Pit bulls/AmStaffs are aggressive maniac dogs...as you portray them to be. Can YOU say that from a personal experience or is it simply due to ignorance that you attack the Pit Bull? I can however say...that a fair amount of the Rottweilers I have seen are unpredictable, dominant, aggressive and downright unsafe!

    I wouldn't attack a particular dog breed unless I knew what I was talking about. I was bitten on the face by a Dachshund when I was little...that doesn't mean I hate them...it means I hate that particular Dachshund! Sure there are breeds I don't trust...sure there are breeds I don't like...but I don't go on a rampage to ban them.

    SOME people who own small dogs tend to not train them the same way as owners of big powerful dogs. I have seen a lot of aggressive small dogs. The difference is...a Rottweiler or a Pit Bull will do a lot more damage if it attacked than a small dog. ANY dog can become aggressive...even the obvious submissive ones!

  4. #194
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    803

    Default

    well i have no problem with pit bulls. my neigbour has got one. she is a big sook.. my neighbour also has a jack russell.. he said the jack russell will bite you before the pit bull.

    so i believe that any breed of dog can be dangerous.

  5. #195
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kewarra Beach, Cairns
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Makes me remember my dogs, makes me think of a lot of ********s who own them & makes me think of the opinionated people who have NEVER owned one yet seem to be experts on the breed!

  6. #196
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malinois-72 View Post
    Makes me remember my dogs, makes me think of a lot of ********s who own them & makes me think of the opinionated people who have NEVER owned one yet seem to be experts on the breed!
    That is the part that pisses me off. I would NEVER try and lecture you in Malinois, since I bloody haven't had one! But I think I have earned the right to definitely have an opinion regarding Rottweilers and also SBT's I for sure wouldn't take others peoples/the media's opinion regarding a dog breed if I didn't know some first hand!

  7. #197
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kewarra Beach, Cairns
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    That is the part that pisses me off. I would NEVER try and lecture you in Malinois, since I bloody haven't had one! But I think I have earned the right to definitely have an opinion regarding Rottweilers and also SBT's I for sure wouldn't take others peoples/the media's opinion regarding a dog breed if I didn't know some first hand!
    OK, but this is about Pit-Bulls. I did not mean all owners are ********s, but there is a lot of them. I dont believe meeting the odd one or two gives anyone a educated opinion on them either. I owned the breed for quite a while & I would not "lecture" anyone about them, learnt that when I joined the forum... As for the media, thats all bull**** anyway. I had to walk both my males with a muzzle & now I have to walk my male Malinois with a muzzle!?!?

  8. #198
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malinois-72 View Post
    OK, but this is about Pit-Bulls. I did not mean all owners are ********s, but there is a lot of them. I dont believe meeting the odd one or two gives anyone a educated opinion on them either. I owned the breed for quite a while & I would not "lecture" anyone about them, learnt that when I joined the forum... As for the media, thats all bull**** anyway. I had to walk both my males with a muzzle & now I have to walk my male Malinois with a muzzle!?!?
    I never said you piss me off Mal It is peoples ignorant opinons about certain breeds that piss me off

  9. #199
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kewarra Beach, Cairns
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    I never said you piss me off Mal It is peoples ignorant opinons about certain breeds that piss me off
    Sorry mate, ya freaked me out for a minute there!!!! Notice how my reply was VERY nice???

  10. #200
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malinois-72 View Post
    Sorry mate, ya freaked me out for a minute there!!!! Notice how my reply was VERY nice???
    Yeah...bloody freaking nice mate!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •