Has anyone any experience with a small dog having not just one but two dislocating knee caps?
We are thinking of seeking a second opinion on whether it is within the best interest of our ten year old cavalier to have surgery.
We are wondering what would happen if we didn't go ahead with surgery. The vet mentioned arthritis but nothing else. So we are thinking is such major surgery on a 10 year old dog really necessary and within her best interests. And just for the record cost does not come into our decision making. Well it does, and basically if she needs the surgery we will extend the mortgage. Issue done and dealt with.
Our reasons for reconsidering surgery at this point in time is:
She is debarked so when incubated requires a cat tube rather than a dog one. This obviously increases her risk of complications. (She was debarked when we adopted her at the age of 4).
She is not currently in pain and her condition does not effect her overall day. I mentioned her walking to my vet as an after thought as she is a little wobbly first thing in the morning even after a series of arthritis injections.
Hates walking and always has. We take her out with our other dog but pop her in a pram much to the embarrassment of our teenagers!
She is not an active dog.
Such major surgery seems a little harsh if it is not necessary. Then there is the guilt of what are the long term consequences of not having the surgery done.........
It is hard to trust/gain a fair opinion of the orthopaedic surgeon on a one off visit and unfortunately my gut instinct never seems to kick in when I get all emotional about the furry kids.
Hoping someone has some good advice or similar experience.