Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: The question that annoys me most (and answers provided)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Geez that's pretty cynical. Most people who ask that question have gone to the effort of signing up to a dog specific forum, with the purpose of doing research and making an informed choice when it comes to what breed will suit them best by asking experienced dog owners. I am really baffled why anyone would have a problem with people doing research before buying a dog. Isn't that what we want to see? People making the effort to make an informed decision before bringing a dog home?
    Cynical I think not, if everyone did their research, go to dog shows and ask what is this breed like and am I suitable for this breed and do I have the time to raise this dog then the pounds, shelters and Rescue would not be full of dogs who's only crime is to have been bought by morons.

    The problem is a lot of people don't research and I wouldn't be surprised if they used a chocolate wheel to pick a dog breed. The thread "Words from a shelter manager" says a lot about these people and what research they don't do. Dog owners on forums don't know the person asking "What breed should I get" from a bar of soap and people lie too. Some people on another forum give advice on breeds they've never owned, so the person asking is none the wiser. People should join this forum and ask what people's dogs are like, but they still must see the dog up close and dog shows are a great way of doing this.
    Last edited by Dogman; 01-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Chloe & Zorro
    Rottweilers and German Shepherds are Family

  2. #12

    Default

    Rescue dogs aren't for everyone. I wanted a young pup because i wanted to bond with my new best friend and teach him everything i wanted him to know - also means i know any issues with his training are my fault

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Cynical I think not, if everyone did their research, go to dog shows and ask what is this breed like and am I suitable for this breed and do I have the time to raise this dog then the pounds, shelters and Rescue would not be full of dogs who's only crime is to have been bought by morons.

    The problem is a lot of people don't research and I wouldn't be surprised if they used a chocolate wheel to pick a dog breed. The thread "Words from a shelter manager" says a lot about these people and what research they don't do. Dog owners on forums don't know the person asking "What breed should I get" from a bar of soap and people lie too. Some people on another forum give advice on breeds they've never owned, so the person asking is none the wiser. People should join this forum and ask what people's dogs are like, but they still must see the dog up close and dog shows are a great way of doing this.
    Saying that simply because someone asks 'what breed is best for me?' that they are better off with a pet rock is cynical. Take it as an opportunity to help them look at all the different factors they need to consider to find a suitable dog, not blast them simply for asking a question.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Cynical I think not, if everyone did their research, go to dog shows and ask what is this breed like and am I suitable for this breed and do I have the time to raise this dog then the pounds, shelters and Rescue would not be full of dogs who's only crime is to have been bought by morons.

    The problem is a lot of people don't research and I wouldn't be surprised if they used a chocolate wheel to pick a dog breed. The thread "Words from a shelter manager" says a lot about these people and what research they don't do. Dog owners on forums don't know the person asking "What breed should I get" from a bar of soap and people lie too. Some people on another forum give advice on breeds they've never owned, so the person asking is none the wiser. People should join this forum and ask what people's dogs are like, but they still must see the dog up close and dog shows are a great way of doing this.
    Trouble with dog shows is that a lot of people dont know about them. I certainly never knew they existed for many years of dog owning. The other thing with dog shows is that breeders are just flat out preparing their dogs and are often under pressure if they have a lot of dogs in multiple classes. There was an article in a recent canine news chastising breeders for being very off hand to the public at shows and suggested that they get the enquirers details and contact them at a more convenient time. I do agree though that it is not a bad start to get an idea.

    Showbred dogs can also be very different from working or field bred dogs of the same breed. My showline dogs are a very different proposition to my working bred dogs of the same breeds.

    From my experience on this forum, most people appear genuine with their information and there is a wide representation of breed types, so I suspect breed misinformation is not going to be high or will soon be set straight. It also gives the opportunity for range of likely experiences and perhaps even breeder suggestions.

    I would rather a person at least signs up to this site and makes an enquiry than use a chocolate wheel.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 01-05-2013 at 12:38 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    607

    Default

    I'm not saying we need to blast them for asking what breed, im saying that, instead of rattling off all theae different breeds and breed characteristics, we should provide them with options and point then in directions that will better educate.

    We dont want them to think that because the people on the website said a golden retriever or lab is the easiest, people friendly, family suites breed that they should only get that.

    There is also a terrible prejudice against shelter and rescue dogs because they are damaged and will cause problems, or they wont build a bond because the dog is already past puppyhood. There are many awesome mutts, and purebreds, in rescues

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bundaberg QLD
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    I've never witnessed any type of terrible prejudice against shelter or rescue dogs. Definently not here anyway. If someone has thier heart set on a certain breed ...like a Bullmastiff for example, they have buckleys of finding one in a rescue shelter.

    Its a dog forum guys.......peolpe are going to come on here and ask about dogs. Not everyone lives in a city (thank dog)....dog shows are few and far between for most of this large country. I've never owned a lot of breeds...yet i deal with alot nearly everyday. Dosnt mean i dunno nothing about them. And how the hell does anyone know what breeds forum users have owned in the past.

    Somtimes it seems like certain breed owners think they are the only ones qualified to give advice about those breeds. Thankfully we have some others here.... Take Newfsie for example....i bet she's forgotten more about certain breeds than most of breed owners know about thier own dogs. I'd put money on that.
    Last edited by Sean; 01-05-2013 at 01:49 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Saying that simply because someone asks 'what breed is best for me?' that they are better off with a pet rock is cynical. Take it as an opportunity to help them look at all the different factors they need to consider to find a suitable dog, not blast them simply for asking a question.
    If someone says "What breed is best for me" it means they haven't got a clue and even a 6th grader can Google Dog Breeds to get some Idea it's not that hard. Surely they must have some Idea of what dog breed they want, the Internet does have pictures too.
    What would they have done in the days before Computers and the Internet, they would have gone to dog shows and asked breeders. This in itself is not foolproof and with all the research possible mistakes are still made but you get to see the dog up close in living colour.
    There are people on forums who hate some breeds for reasons only known to them (maybe a bad childhood experience etc) and would never recommend them even if they make great family pets.
    Last edited by Dogman; 01-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Chloe & Zorro
    Rottweilers and German Shepherds are Family

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    If someone says "What breed is best for me" it means they haven't got a clue and even a 6th grader can Google Dog Breeds to get some Idea it's not that hard. Surely they must have some Idea of what dog breed they want, the Internet does have pictures too.
    What would they have done in the days before Computers and the Internet, they would have gone to dog shows and asked breeders. This in itself is not foolproof and with all the research possible mistakes are still made but you get to see the dog up close in living colour.
    Actually I don't know anyone who has selected a dog by going to dog shows. Everyone I know who has wanted to do the right thing and research into different breeds has done so by asking other dog owners they know for breed suggestions and go from there. There is nothing wrong with that and it's far better that they are doing research and trying to make an informed choice rather than just impulse buying or getting a breed they like the look of but may not be suitable.

    God forbid anyone comes on here and asks a simple question, this is a dog forum, of course people will come here to ask for advice.


    ETA: The only pet peeve I have with what breed for me threads is when people recommend their own breeds every time regardless of if they are really suitable or not. I rarely recommend my three different breeds, but they are great in the right circumstances for the right people

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bunbury
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    If they are here and asking questions they are (most of them) genuinely seeking information, I know I was. If we don't ask questions we remain ignorant and that's not good for any pup/ dog we end up with.
    I asked some really dumb questions and got patient responses.
    I guess if someone is getting tired they just need to leave it for someone else.

  10. #20

    Default

    Same here Bec, i don't generally post in those threads because the breeds i've owned are not really ideal for noobs. As far as going to dog shows to work out what breed you want, well maybe that works for some, i've never been to a dog show in my life.

    I also dislike the condescending posts from those who think rescue dogs should be the first place people go for a new dog. I think highly of people who work in rescue, I think highly of people who adopt rescue/shelter dogs, but that ain't for me. I take seriously the commitment i'm making in taking on a dog and i want it to be as perfect as i can make it, but that's just me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •