Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: What would you do?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    I dunno 99bottles - it depends how well the breeder(s) could keep it secret from the ANKC people. Tho I'm not sure what they'd do if the owner could show they'd made every effort to contain the bitch and she still escaped...

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Well the dog was aborted a while ago and all went well but unfortunately my friend and her partner woke up on Thursday morning to find that the dog had passed away, a post-mortem showed nothing and she was healthy and happy the previous night. It was just her time to go at 2yrs of age.

    Rest in peace beautiful

    Paris 2.jpgParis.jpg

  3. #23

    Default

    Oh 'Kristy.Maree' - your news is not what I was expecting and it is just so unbelievably sad !

    Your poor friends and the pup - only two years old !


    Could it have been a snake bite ?

    R.I.P. 'little lady' Taken far too soon !

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Oh 'Kristy.Maree' - your news is not what I was expecting and it is just so unbelievably sad !

    Your poor friends and the pup - only two years old !


    Could it have been a snake bite ?

    R.I.P. 'little lady' Taken far too soon !
    Snake bite is what I first thought too but no toxins showed up in her system so it's a very big mystery. Not a good time for my poor friend at all, her baby was induced before Christmas (over a month premature) because she wasn't growing, so they've been in and out of hospital for a month, finally got baby home and 2 days later this happened to her dog. Very bad run

  5. #25

    Default

    Your poor friends - 'Kristy.Maree' - definitely testing times for them ! Pleased 'Baby' is home now and they aren't doing the 'hospital/medical shuffle' as much !

    With regard to the pup - I still can't get over it - the only other things that I can think of - would be bloat or heart. Cancer is another big problem with Rotties - but you usually get some warning with that.

    We lost our Rottie to cancer - but we got her to 9 years old after a knee operation at 18 months and dodgy hips and numerous other problems !

    Your friends are very lucky that they have you to support and look after them !

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    I would of gone for the morning after pill solution for dogs. But had i missed that window, and in this scenario, id terminate the pups.
    She will be lucky to break even financially. After termination, her bitch will be healthy and able to assist with the baby. Coming to get you before they wake, keep you company during the 2am feeds. and when your friend is ready to breed from her again, the bitch will be healthy as she was expected to be.

    there are inherant risks of C section deliveries in mastiff's at a prevalence that is greater than in rotties. This is expected/accepted by mastiff breeders, and price reflects this often. There are also risks in delivering pups vaginally, for the bitch. Mum's have been known to die in childbirth. For a litter of ?, surely not worth your much loved friend.
    I am not, but if i were: As a breeder, i would only consider the risks for my bitch worth it, if pure bred pups i was breeding for were the product. Because i probably had some really nice specimens of the breed. That i was matching very carefully with comparable strengths.

    And id probably end up with one of those pups too. They have way too many boxes ticked to sucker me in. So i wouldnt touch raising them with a barge pole. I know my weaknesses. As did all my kids. hence multi dog ownership, and multi animal rescues passing through regularly.

    And ive gotten my dogs from rescues mainly. Cept the last 3. Each breed comes with its inherent health risks. Careful breeding can reduce/eliminate these. There are so many cross breeds in shelters already. I should not add to it, as i fear these dogs may.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Your poor friends - 'Kristy.Maree' - definitely testing times for them ! Pleased 'Baby' is home now and they aren't doing the 'hospital/medical shuffle' as much !

    With regard to the pup - I still can't get over it - the only other things that I can think of - would be bloat or heart. Cancer is another big problem with Rotties - but you usually get some warning with that.

    We lost our Rottie to cancer - but we got her to 9 years old after a knee operation at 18 months and dodgy hips and numerous other problems !

    Your friends are very lucky that they have you to support and look after them !
    I went and visited my friend for the first time since it happened yesterday as I was on holiday in NZ when it happened. It didn't cross my mind because I wasn't in the country but we had some 40+ degrees days and my friend said the dog was really suffering... spending ALL day in her paddle pool, drinking so much water she kept making herself spew and still wouldn't cool down even when my friend put her inside with the aircon. So maybe it was heat related..

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I would of gone for the morning after pill solution for dogs. But had i missed that window, and in this scenario, id terminate the pups.
    She will be lucky to break even financially. After termination, her bitch will be healthy and able to assist with the baby. Coming to get you before they wake, keep you company during the 2am feeds. and when your friend is ready to breed from her again, the bitch will be healthy as she was expected to be.

    there are inherant risks of C section deliveries in mastiff's at a prevalence that is greater than in rotties. This is expected/accepted by mastiff breeders, and price reflects this often. There are also risks in delivering pups vaginally, for the bitch. Mum's have been known to die in childbirth. For a litter of ?, surely not worth your much loved friend.
    I am not, but if i were: As a breeder, i would only consider the risks for my bitch worth it, if pure bred pups i was breeding for were the product. Because i probably had some really nice specimens of the breed. That i was matching very carefully with comparable strengths.

    And id probably end up with one of those pups too. They have way too many boxes ticked to sucker me in. So i wouldnt touch raising them with a barge pole. I know my weaknesses. As did all my kids. hence multi dog ownership, and multi animal rescues passing through regularly.

    And ive gotten my dogs from rescues mainly. Cept the last 3. Each breed comes with its inherent health risks. Careful breeding can reduce/eliminate these. There are so many cross breeds in shelters already. I should not add to it, as i fear these dogs may.
    Hi Bernie.

    My friend did get the dog aborted and all was fine but unfortunately she passed away last week for reasons totally unrelated to the pregnancy/abortion

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy.Maree View Post
    I went and visited my friend for the first time since it happened yesterday as I was on holiday in NZ when it happened. It didn't cross my mind because I wasn't in the country but we had some 40+ degrees days and my friend said the dog was really suffering... spending ALL day in her paddle pool, drinking so much water she kept making herself spew and still wouldn't cool down even when my friend put her inside with the aircon. So maybe it was heat related..
    Yes, I believe that you are definitely on the right track here with what happened to the poor pup - especially with the additional information - Heat - Stress - Heart. It would not necessarily show up on autopsy. There are always heaps of health warnings regarding people and heat and more particularly dogs being left in cars.

    Good detective work ! At least now there is a valid reason - for the why ?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •