Just before my Miniature Pinscher gave birth last week I had to knock together a whelping box for the birth! A quick trip to Ikea for some supplies and I was all set to go! The box was built with 3 puppies in mind, but we lost one at birth so there is plenty of room for the lucky 2 pups!
- x4 Laminated chip boards - Good for wiping stains off.
- x12 wooden slates - For a stable, airated base to keep main box off the ground. Also for partial privacy roof.
- x2 Rubber mat strips - Water resistant base for easy cleaning.
- x1 Lamp and 75 watt bulb - Adjustable arm to provide additional warmth for puppies.
- x4 Throw rugs - Cheap, warm and easy to clean.
I added some post-photograph cloth padding and "climbing" rungs to make it easier for the dogs to enter and leave, especially while the bitch was pregnant.
The box turned out pretty good and I think I'll keep it as a permanent dog box! Once the puppies don't need it anymore I'll cut a side door in it for the dogs to wander in and out as they please!