Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: dog attacks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Orange, New South Wales
    Posts
    14

    Default dog attacks

    I have to complain to someone. I am so sick to death of not being able to safely walk my dogs. I have 3, one large and two small. I live in a country town and not in the best part of town. The part of town where some people think big dogs make them look tough. Firstly, my large dog was pestered by a wandering pit bull cross. Fortunately a kind person let me put him in his fenced front yard while I went and got my car to take him home. The dog even circled the car when he was in it! I now drive to the "better" side of town to walk him without any problems. I walk my small dogs locally as I can pick them up if there is a problem. Yesterday I was walking one of them and another pitt bull cross comes running out of an unfenced property. I saw him coming so I picked up my dog, but the pit bull was trying to bite him and slightly grazed my arm with his teeth. I yelled loudly, then the dog ran back where he came from but I think someone called him as when I walked away, two guys came out the front. I abused them about the dog but they just looked at me stupid. I'm told our council won't do anything unless there is something serious. It's not fair that my dogs are stuck in the backyard because people couldn't care less about keeping their dogs enclosed.

  2. #2

    Default

    Don't believe everything you here - your Council has a legal obligation to act on a dog complaint. Even if the outcome is they take no action apart from a visit/send a letter to the owners. Firstly take a photo of the graze on your arm and then fire off a strongly worded email to your local Council - remind them of the law and how you will make a further complaint if required. Keep a copy of both your email and photo. Make sure you follow up your letter and ask what action was taken. Even if they tell you it is confidential by phoning them they know you are not going to go away. I am also assuming that it is a cross the board law dogs are not to be wandering the streets off leash and without an owner - so a warning letter at the very least is require.

    I think it is really important you be pro active about any harassing, aggressive dogs. One day they could seriously harm a child, adult or someone's pet. If everyone takes the time to make a complaint your Council can no way keep ignoring a dog which should/could/may be labelled as dangerous.

    We had a dog around the corner from us. It took three reported attacks (yet there were heaps not reported) but eventually the Council took the owner to Court after his cattle dog killed a german shepherd (hate to even imagine the fight that must have occurred), he was fined, and the dog was labelled as dangerous. The owner had to have a huge sign out the front of his house. The dog was not allowed out of the premises unless he was muzzled. The dog was not put down as the court said the two previous attacks had been "minor" and he felt the cattle dog got into a "pack mentality" at the time of the kill. Two other dogs were involved a mini poodle and a x maltese (my guess is they didn't play a huge role in the attack maybe just goaded the cattle dog on!). The big question is why were they wandering the street and where were the owners.

    Interestingly enough his dog still attacked mine one day when it had a muzzle on - which goes to show how bloody awful this cattle dog was (and I love cattle dogs as a rule). All us locals (though most of us would hate to see a dog put down unnecessarily) believe if every single person who had had a run in with that dog had reported it not only may the german shepherd have lived but the cattle dog may have been put to sleep. I can't think it was much of a life for that poor cattle dog to be locked up in a small backyard for the rest of his life.

    The cattle dog has since passed away and the owner now has a staffy x pup. It recently killed two pet rabbits - the cycle continues.

    All round a very sad outcome for both the german shepherd, the owners of said dog and the cattle dog. I would hate to hear a repeat story similar to this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Orange, New South Wales
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, the red mark would not be noticeable in a photo as it's very faint. I have a feeling the dog did not live there as I 've walked that street many times and have never seen it before. Plus, two men came out the front, so it could have been a visitor. Will follow it up.

  4. #4

    Default

    Include a really good description of the dog (eg, height, colour, sex, any unusual markings, where ears are erect or floppy, liver spots on belly, etc etc). Your council will have a record of all registered dogs and may be able to identify both the dog and owner by your description. For all you know they may have had other complaints about the same dog.

  5. #5

    Default

    If the council is recieving several complaints per dog, they will have to investigate. You've got a right to walk wherever you want.

  6. #6

    Default

    Council should help you out, hence you paying tax and council rates. If the council can confirm that they are pit bull cross or even confirm that the dogs are dangerous (restricted) to the public then they can apply dangerous dog act to the owners
    http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/DLGHom...-_Brochure.pdf
    and here is the council's policies for restricted dog
    m<(o.o)>m

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    If the council is recieving several complaints per dog, they will have to investigate. You've got a right to walk wherever you want.
    Benlauren - I agree with Mosh here.

    What is the old saying - something like 'squeaky wheels getting attention first' ! So I would become a 'squeaky wheel' and like Mosh said - the more complaints about a certain situation - then the council must act.

    Councils are always on about in their advertising that their particular areas are safe and family friendly.

    So if it is not, then they need to be told.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pbk1776 View Post
    Council should help you out, hence you paying tax and council rates. If the council can confirm that they are pit bull cross or even confirm that the dogs are dangerous (restricted) to the public then they can apply dangerous dog act to the owners
    http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/DLGHom...-_Brochure.pdf
    and here is the council's policies for restricted dog
    PKB isn't that using the thing we are all trying to stop? How can they be sure it is a "Pit Bull" and not some other mix of dogs anyway. I don't agree with using BSL against any dog.

    To the OP, make a complaint to your council. It is against the law for a dog to rush and terrorise people. Even if it doesn't happen again the complaint will be on record. It is their responsibility to make sure every complain is followed up on. I would say, if the dog does now live there they would probably only get a warning. It might be enough for them to pull their heads in... maybe not.

    We've got a dog that roams up the street.... some working dog bitsa that has apparently attacked a few dogs. I don't think anyone has complained though so it still roams.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadielee87 View Post
    PKB isn't that using the thing we are all trying to stop? How can they be sure it is a "Pit Bull" and not some other mix of dogs anyway. I don't agree with using BSL against any dog.

    To the OP, make a complaint to your council. It is against the law for a dog to rush and terrorise people. Even if it doesn't happen again the complaint will be on record. It is their responsibility to make sure every complain is followed up on. I would say, if the dog does now live there they would probably only get a warning. It might be enough for them to pull their heads in... maybe not.

    We've got a dog that roams up the street.... some working dog bitsa that has apparently attacked a few dogs. I don't think anyone has complained though so it still roams.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that BSL is different from Dangerous dog act
    m<(o.o)>m

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pbk1776 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that BSL is different from Dangerous dog act
    That it is, but you've also mentioned restricted breeds and the laws which regulate them.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •