Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hyperactivity after eating Chocolate

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    607

    Post Hyperactivity after eating Chocolate

    So I haven't been on for a while (Dealing with life at the moment) but I really wanted to post this to educate someone, in hopes of saving a dog's life one day.

    Last night at approximately 11pm my boy Luke consumed approximately 90g of Green and Black's dark chocolate (85% cocoa), plus a tiny bit of Lindt passionfruit chocolate. We took him to the vet and they induced vomiting. He went in weighing 20.1kg, came out weighing 19.3kg.

    On the way home he was very hyperactive but for the moment we'd put it down to excess adrenalin from his ordeal. After we got home, we realised it was the symptom of the chocolate absorption, whatever he had already absorbed into his system.

    I decided to record part of his behaviour to show you how a dog on a "chocolate high" behaves. I would not normally allow him to exhibit this behaviour without addressing it, however I wanted to capture it for education. At the end you will see him calm down while he is being held. I'd like to say this video was recorded at approximately 1:30am and he did not settle properly until about 3:30am, with much fighting on his part. *yawn*

    Hyperactivity after chocolate - YouTube

  2. #2

    Default

    Thanks for sharing - I watched the video and wow what a difference. I might read more about this. thanks again
    m<(o.o)>m

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Very interesting. Poor Luke Molly has episodes like that at least once a day (they usually last about 5-10 mins, even after 2hrs at the park), runs around the house madly, jumping on things she's not meant to and doing lots of quick little spins, if we try and hold her down, she goes absolutely nuts and if we put her outside she constantly slams herself into the door trying to get back in so we just deal with it now and assumed it was part of her personality. Wonder if it's just her or if we should take her to the vet and get her checked out for ADHD or something

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Posts
    119

    Default

    aww the poor baby.I never knew chocolate could have that effect on a dog(I knew they couldnt have it). Your other puppy wasnt impressed by Luke's behaviour either. I hoper he is feeling better today.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    He seemed to be reactive to his environment yet settles with calming direction.
    poor poppit.
    The other dog is not happy is either, all that fuss n nonsense!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    How did he get the chocolate - or shouldn't I ask.

    My brother made the mistake one easter of thinking that nobody would find his stash if he hid it under the sideboard. He was wrong.

    Our Aussie terror ate the whole top of the football of truffles and all the truffles and then started up chucking... fortunately. I don't think we were aware just how bad chocolate is for a dog at that time. So she made little brown puddles all around the dining room, down the hall and out into the back yard. And my brother got to clean them all up.

    I don't remember her doing any zoomies that day - she was feeling very miserable.

    My dog has had the vomit treatment a few times. She was very miserable after the injection based one (with antidote after). And not real happy after the washing soda crystal one (vet supervised) or the salty water one. But she hadn't eaten a stimulant.

    I have to applaud getting the vomit treatment asap for anything the dog eats that's not spikey. Recently - emergency removal of a ball of footy strapping tape cost a lab owner $4000 - though the going rate for business hours is more like $1500. EEEK. Vomit treatment might have prevented the obstruction.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    tasmania
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Poor Luke. Scary how much of an effect it had on him. I hope he is feeling better today and that you have managed to get some rest yourselves. Thankyou for sharing that and also for putting it on youtube. If it helps just one dog or educates just one person then at least that is one positive you can take from the whole horrible ordeal.
    If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    607

    Default

    The chocolate was left on the couch. I realised he had eaten it because there was foil around the lounge room.

    He did settle with being held BUT he whined and tried to break away a few times and included play biting of our arms in an attempt to run away. We didn't back down and took him to bed with us and he eventually settled. Whining, whistling and fidgeting until 3am-ish.

    The calmer dog in the video is a foster. He is leaving us tomorrow. We have been working on his fear of people and dogs. He is more afraid of females than males. It took him 4 days to let me pat him, now we're best mates and the new owner is worried he'll miss me too much, haha.

    Luke's better now. He was full of energy again today but he's settled again tonight. Pretty much back to normal.
    Last edited by The Pawfectionist; 09-06-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •