Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 74

Thread: Problem Breeding same breed different size HELP!

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    You should work in breed rescue like i do...I have two pure bred dogs at home that are papered the landed in the pound........More to do with wanting a cute fluffy puppy and on of those "gorgeous bears" not realising all the effort and money involved with owning one, in the newfie case....But there are also hundreds of BC's, ADC's, Kelpies and other pure breeds, I help with working dog rescue. RSPCA locally also gets quite a few pure-breed dogs...Now with micro-chipping you can actually identify where the Breeders are sometimes

    I would love to make it law that the breeders info stays with the microchip forever...So that it could be searched and collated if a Breeder was producing excessive puppies that were landing in the pound/shelter/rescue.
    Make them responsible for what they breed..i know a few newfie Breeders intentionally keep their info on the microchips and take the dogs back when they are in trouble.........That is responsible Breeding. I am sure there are other Breed breeders who do the same.

    If Breeders were responsible for the puppies forever they would be a lot more careful with placing puppies and wouldn't that get rid of puppy farms? Can you imagine all the poundies/rescues that were the responsibility of the puppy farm again. If they had more then a certain amount of dogs landing in the pounds....... fine them........might sort it all out. Chuck the responsibility back at those that Breed, pure bred or not, BYB's, Puppy Farms or ANKC Breeders. The whole Bl**y lot, make them care and be responsible
    I agree Newfsie. They all need to be made more accountable for what they do. Aaahh in a perfect world.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Rural Victoria
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavalierqld View Post
    Sorry Jadie, while i certainly do NOT advocate any irresponsible breeding, some of the posts here are so hyprocritical!!!!

    I hear people sending folks over to (the dark side) to buy pedigrees from registered breeders who mated without homes for the puppies, why is that ok for them to make money, but not someone else?.

    If you're not registered, your dogs are not properly health tested, you do not have homes lined up already and deposits taken to ensure people follow through YOU SHOULD NOT BE BREEDING.

    So if you are NOT ANKC registered since when can you not breed healthy pups? There are hundreds of mature and young dogs on dogonline who are unwanted by registered breeders....yet you find that acceptable breeding?

    Rural pug...

    So if your dogs aren't pedigreee it is up to you to ensure that they are at least clear of health problems common to pomeranians BEFORE you mate them to each other. Even if they only have a condition in a small degree that doesn't really affect their health, quite often puppies who inherit that small condition from both parents will become seriously ill with it and have short, sad lives. Ethical breeders go the whole ten yards to avoid that happening.

    Pedigree dogs and registered puppies also have health issues.!

    I just find the whole hype surrounding the holy grail of ANKC breeders VERY misleading and especially holding them out to the epitomy of breeding...when in fact the majority are in it for the money and are no better than puppy farms.

    By all means, inform the OP of her resposibilities when breeding and the pro's and cons...but lets not be holding the ANKC on a pedestal, because you only need to look to see their code of ethics is unenforced and certainly does not have the HEALTH and well being of the registered animals at heart!!!!!!
    I didn't consider my post hypocritical, possibly badly worded because I tried to make it simple. Even if the OP doesn't give a rat's about her own dogs and dogs in general, other people might benefit from it.

    I happen to agree with you and I don't put ANKC breeders up on a pedestal, only ethical breeders. And those certainly can and do exist outside the ANKC as well as within. There are certaininly some puppy farmers and BYBs within the ANKC.

    The word "pedigree" does not have to mean ANKC it can mean any genuine register as far as I am concerned certainly including some working dog registries, development registries etc. Guide Dogs in some states, for example, may be outside the ANKC, but are ethically breed and 'pedigreed' in my book, they can trace back many generations and perfomance test as well as health test.

    The point was that because the OP doesn't have a registered ancestry list for their dogs, they don't have a starting point and can't say "this line is clear of eye problems so we don't need to test for that" and will have to test for everything and even then it is not guaranteed. And Pomeranians don't have a working or development register they only have the ANKC or MDBA here in Australia.

    I am not defending ANKC breeders per se, some are ethical and some are not but I will say that people without any registry association are less likely to be ethical breeders than those who are.

    And, in case you didn't know, if you can prove unethical dealings by any (dark side) advertiser, then advise the owner of (that website) and that advertiser will be removed. So that is a far safer avenue to recommend to people than, say (open internet classifieds) who don't give a damn.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 07-08-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: removed ref to the dark side and other classified website.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Thank you for the link of the Rescue Mission.
    Its really important to be aware of these causes. Heart breaking.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubbsecurity View Post
    Australian Working Dog Rescue

    Here are some pictures of dogs on death row...
    (only a few here, but many thousands more)

    They were ALL CUTE PUPPIES once.
    Having working dogs of my own this made me very sad. Most of those dogs are so young. I cant understand the need that people have to breed their dogs for either some emotional reason of their own or some other reason that really does not warrant bringing more pups into the world.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubbsecurity View Post
    Australian Working Dog Rescue

    Here are some pictures of dogs on death row...
    (only a few here, but many thousands more)

    They were ALL CUTE PUPPIES once.
    Far to many sad eyes looking out

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubbsecurity View Post
    Australian Working Dog Rescue

    Here are some pictures of dogs on death row...
    (only a few here, but many thousands more)

    They were ALL CUTE PUPPIES once.
    My PC just blocked a virus from that link.... Just a heads up for everyone else.
    No one loves you like your dog does.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    KL could you be more specific about what kind of "virus". Some virus checkers get upset about certain kinds of web code that can be used for good just as much as evil.

    Trouble with the Australian working dog rescue - is it can be a bit of a cobweb at times - ie sometimes the updates are up to date and sometimes not. i think they may get overwhelmed as there are just so many homeless working dogs, now that people dump them at the pound more often than they shoot them. They still get shot, just look up the $30,000 kelpie.

    I've removed references to the dark side forum. They are our competition - so you really shouldn't be referencing them to support your argument. I will sometimes accept links to breeder ads - because that's where most of them are. But not if you're going to mention it in any way that could be thought derogatory. Keep it positive or leave it out.

    And while we might be an "and cross breed" forum, the current dogforum policy is for discouraging backyard breeders and non-ankc breeders and for encouraging ethical breeders or responsible breeders (eg as per the RSPCA guidelines). I'm not saying the policy is perfect but that's where it is at for now.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelpielover View Post
    My PC just blocked a virus from that link.... Just a heads up for everyone else.
    Mine did the same. Not sure what type or if it was one. My McAfee didnt react but the browser security centre did and I got some icons appear and a warning that my computer was under attack, so I rebooted my computer. Not sure what happened.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 07-08-2012 at 11:14 PM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    And while we might be an "and cross breed" forum, the current dogforum policy is for discouraging backyard breeders and non-ankc breeders and for encouraging ethical breeders or responsible breeders (eg as per the RSPCA guidelines). I'm not saying the policy is perfect but that's where it is at for now.
    A couple of my sheepdogs are from well regarded and registered working dog breeders (Australian kelpie council and WASDA registered), nothing to do with ANKC.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalacreek View Post
    Mine did the same. Not sure what type or if it was one. My McAfee didnt react but the browser security centre did and I got some icons appear and a warning that my computer was under attack, so I rebooted my computer. Not sure what happened.
    All i know is it wasn't a trojan so that's a plus. Haha.
    No one loves you like your dog does.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •