Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Looks Like Harley is in for Some Training!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Talking Looks Like Harley is in for Some Training!

    Well, after taking Harley for a walk this morning and having him go nuts over some Border Collies barking in their yard I've decided I've had enough!

    I've just finished talking to a trainer and he will be getting enrolled first in a 6 week course, and depending on the results from that will do another 20 weeks after that to try and fix his obedience issues (like walking on a lead, recall) and try and either get him desensitised to other dogs or over his DA issues completely (depending on the cause). I am pretty excited!

    Bella needs to do the same course to work on her manners, but I am not sure how I can do that since there is only 1 of me. The OH works on Saturdays so he can't help either!

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Awesome Jadie, sounds great!! I suppose you could always teach Bella at home what you learn at obedience class? That way your OH could participate too

  3. #3

    Default

    Awesome news Jadie, hope it works out. I know what it is like to have a dog reactive/aggressive dog and it is not fun but I can tell you that hard work WILL get you somewhere

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    I really hope so! Hopefully I learn something to, so that if it is something that I have caused by my reactions to him around dogs etc (which it probably is) I won't ever do it again!

    Lol Sam, that was my original plan with Bella but it didn't work! haha I might see if my Mum can come and help (unless that's not a good idea?!) she will love being around all the other dogs too!

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadielee87 View Post
    I really hope so! Hopefully I learn something to, so that if it is something that I have caused by my reactions to him around dogs etc (which it probably is) I won't ever do it again!

    Lol Sam, that was my original plan with Bella but it didn't work! haha I might see if my Mum can come and help (unless that's not a good idea?!) she will love being around all the other dogs too!
    It would likely be a mix of a few things but your reactions/emotions would definitely be influencing him. It just takes a bit of self training to teach yourself to NOT react, to not be nervous or embarrassed.

    Depends on what your mum is like at handling dogs? How emotional she is? Etc. If you think you Mum can handle Bella in the class and do it properly then no reason she can't do it. Otherwise everything you do in class is meant to be taken and practiced at home, backyard, park. Really it doesn't matter if your dog does it in class so long as YOU are learning and practicing at home etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    447

    Default

    YAY by the end of it you will feel so much happier as well we had a DA dog and I know it use to stress us out and that changed the behaviour ..... lol and if your OH can't go with you don't worry you will have years to train them ...begging is the best one to start with lol btw they are normally have a very high pastry and cake drive
    ALL kittens are devil spawn wrapped in cuteness!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    It would likely be a mix of a few things but your reactions/emotions would definitely be influencing him. It just takes a bit of self training to teach yourself to NOT react, to not be nervous or embarrassed.

    Depends on what your mum is like at handling dogs? How emotional she is? Etc. If you think you Mum can handle Bella in the class and do it properly then no reason she can't do it. Otherwise everything you do in class is meant to be taken and practiced at home, backyard, park. Really it doesn't matter if your dog does it in class so long as YOU are learning and practicing at home etc.
    She is pretty good with dogs and Bella is easy to handle and loves food so it could work! lol I think it will be good for them to do it at the same time (Harley & Bella) that way they learn together! I need to learn to stop being overprotective mum!

    Quote Originally Posted by kdee View Post
    YAY by the end of it you will feel so much happier as well we had a DA dog and I know it use to stress us out and that changed the behaviour ..... lol and if your OH can't go with you don't worry you will have years to train them ...begging is the best one to start with lol btw they are normally have a very high pastry and cake drive
    Haha cakes and pastry don't sway this one, he is a rare type! I would have better luck telling him he can go and buy a new set of golf clubs or something

    I just told him my plans then, and all he says is "good luck with that one" gosh men can be such asses!

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  8. #8

    Default

    Do you realise that it is actually you that is getting the training.
    The dog knows what to do you just have to know how to get it out of the dog.
    So its more pointer at the owner rather than the dog.
    We love obedience training and will do this with any dogs we ever decide to get more after this one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Well I definitely need it! And will do it will all of my dogs in the future! lol

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    Yay! Good on you for taking the step!

    I was going to go with Banjo, but had to wait for her papers. And by the time I got those, I had no money left. Now it's too late for this course...

    The obedience clubs here are good value for money. For just over the cost of a 6 week course at the RSPCA, you can do courses all year here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •