Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Lack of respect

  1. #11

    Default

    I agree with Fedra, i'm not sure which posts you are referring to.

    I think that considering this forum is called 'Dog Training' i dont really understand what you mean.. The people posting on this forum are trying to fix and rectify their dogs behavioural problems by seeking help from other dog owners and trainers.

    I'd rather people ask for help than just turf the dogs to a shelter. it's good these people are willing to educate themselves and their dogs.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    The OP is referring to my thread, and clearly what they perceive to be my "bad ownership".

    I don't mind, they can say all they want. Unless they have met my beautiful happy dogs then they are just blowing steam out a hole in their bum.

    My dogs are first and foremost, dogs. Hence, they are allowed to act like dogs with us and with each other. They also have to respect us and do what they are told.

    I can only assume the OP (sorry forget the name...crazy somthing) is referring to me when they talk about people dumping their dogs off at the pound because of bad manners (something that sickens me) but I thnk they are reading a bit too much into what has been said. Whether that is due to my lack of eloquence or their close mindedness, I dont really care.

    I have never dropped a dog off at the pound (and have in fact worked in rescue). I am unaware of any bad manners in either of my dogs...they always do what they are told and know fully that certain behaviours we allow are not acceptable towards other people.

    I think the OP assumes from my postings I am some young rebel with my first ever dog or something...quite funny.

    OMG Barney and Pippi, dont you dare look like you might be having a bit of fun, dont you know I am a terrible abusive owner muwhahahahaa

    Last edited by Lala; 12-15-2010 at 10:48 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    And seeing as it's funny, and I have nothing better to do at almost midnight...he is a picture of my dogs being allowed to set themselves up for a trip to the pound LOL

    EDIT: No, that is not poos, it's leaves LOL


  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,698

    Default

    Well I play lots of tug and do lots of rough housing with my dogs. One of my dogs loved visiting my dad because he would put on big gloves and this was a sign for my Jess to have a good bitey play with him. She would never use her teeth unless he was wearing the gloves, but she knew with the gloves it was okay. She was a model dog out and about and was very gentle in her play with kids.

    My dogs are all obedience and agility trained and I seriously dont think rough housing play with them has anything to do with lack of respect. It revs them up and gives them great drive and motivation in competition sport. They know what is appropriate and what isnt because they have been trained.

    So I think you have to put it in to context. If someone is encouraging a dog to be deliberately aggressive, or allowing it to bite outside the rules of play or has generally lost control of the dog due to lack of training, then that is not acceptable.

    I enjoy playing with my dogs and dont have rigid rules where they are like little machines, but they are all well behaved and trained when it is required of them. In fact I spend a lot of time training - with 6 dogs it is all I seem to be doing! Tactile playing or tugging is a great way to develop a bond, better than throwing a ball for example where the dog is actually focussed on the ball than engaging with you.

    Bad manners and rough play do not always go hand in hand. My dogs also get much more love than discipline, because from puppies I have always heavily reinforced good behaviour. They dont really know any different and they all have excellent social skills with strange people and dogs.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Villain & Flirtt View Post
    IMHO rough play is only one factor, and a small one at that. I tend to believe that dogs with bad manners often are the product of homes where the ratio of exercise and discipline (and I dont mean the application of punishment, I mean the application of clear, firm, consistent boundaries) to affection is around the wrong way. In my experience the dogs that get far too much affection and who are treated like human members of the household are often the ones with the worst manners. (The SWF's that run out towards other dogs barring teeth and are picked up and cuddled by their owners who say "Oh, snuggie wuggie, you are such a baaaaaaaad dog for being just so mean to that horrible (insert your dog here)... Come inside, I keep you safe..."

    I'm not a big Cesar Milan fan, but I do believe he has it right when he says "excercise, discipline then affection".

    I play rough with both my dogs (Dobes) as a part of their training. Their motivational play training reward is a big, bad, boisterous game of tug which involves the whole body. When teeth come into play (even if accidentally), the game stops immediately, but it's fast, rough and I'm always panting and sweating when we're done- and my dogs LOVE hearing the command "training!". I even let them win- quite often in fact. And yet, I am often complimented on my dogs' quite obvious respect for me because I run my pack like a pack... and I even think my dogs are happier and better mannered for it.

    Uhhhhhhh.... is that what you were looking for?
    We seem to be on the same page.............

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedra View Post
    It would be quite useful to put a link on a post you are reffering to. I for instance don't know what you mean.

    On the other hand - what is rough? What is too rough? Dogs play, and dogs sometime play rough and personally, as long as they're in control, have good social skills I don't see any problem. If you see my dogs playing you'd probably think they gonna kill each other Lots of teeth, jumping around, lots of different noises, lots of rumble-tumble. Yes, they play rough.

    It is absolutely essential to allow dogs to play how they want to play, especially when they're young. Through play, dogs learn their social skills, bite inhibition, they learn their limits, they learn how to communicate, they learn how to establish their rank - no human can do it ever! The worst possible thing one can do is deprive their puppy of such experience. If you're afraid, let them play with dogs their size or age. But do let them play.

    Human manners are different from dog's manners and they generally do not apply to them. You can teach them how to behave politely in our society, but you can't take dog out of them
    Play is VERY important & that is why the wrong play worries me so.
    And I so agree with not taking the dog out of a dog & think alot of poeple are forgetting first they are a dog 2nd they are a pet.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lala View Post
    The OP is referring to my thread, and clearly what they perceive to be my "bad ownership".

    I don't mind, they can say all they want. Unless they have met my beautiful happy dogs then they are just blowing steam out a hole in their bum.

    My dogs are first and foremost, dogs. Hence, they are allowed to act like dogs with us and with each other. They also have to respect us and do what they are told.

    I can only assume the OP (sorry forget the name...crazy somthing) is referring to me when they talk about people dumping their dogs off at the pound because of bad manners (something that sickens me) but I thnk they are reading a bit too much into what has been said. Whether that is due to my lack of eloquence or their close mindedness, I dont really care.

    I have never dropped a dog off at the pound (and have in fact worked in rescue). I am unaware of any bad manners in either of my dogs...they always do what they are told and know fully that certain behaviours we allow are not acceptable towards other people.

    I think the OP assumes from my postings I am some young rebel with my first ever dog or something...quite funny.

    OMG Barney and Pippi, dont you dare look like you might be having a bit of fun, dont you know I am a terrible abusive owner muwhahahahaa

    You are VERY off base your post is 1 of many that have worried me. And I never thought you would dump your dog. As for fun I am ALL for it BUT with boundries.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lala View Post
    And seeing as it's funny, and I have nothing better to do at almost midnight...he is a picture of my dogs being allowed to set themselves up for a trip to the pound LOL

    EDIT: No, that is not poos, it's leaves LOL

    I am NOT attacking you................ Your dogs are lovely & each to their own. I do not beleive in rough housing outside of training so waht each to their own.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalacreek View Post
    Well I play lots of tug and do lots of rough housing with my dogs. One of my dogs loved visiting my dad because he would put on big gloves and this was a sign for my Jess to have a good bitey play with him. She would never use her teeth unless he was wearing the gloves, but she knew with the gloves it was okay. She was a model dog out and about and was very gentle in her play with kids.

    My dogs are all obedience and agility trained and I seriously dont think rough housing play with them has anything to do with lack of respect. It revs them up and gives them great drive and motivation in competition sport. They know what is appropriate and what isnt because they have been trained.
    That's right they have been trained.............

    So I think you have to put it in to context. If someone is encouraging a dog to be deliberately aggressive, or allowing it to bite outside the rules of play or has generally lost control of the dog due to lack of training, then that is not acceptable.

    I enjoy playing with my dogs and dont have rigid rules where they are like little machines, but they are all well behaved and trained when it is required of them. In fact I spend a lot of time training - with 6 dogs it is all I seem to be doing! Tactile playing or tugging is a great way to develop a bond, better than throwing a ball for example where the dog is actually focussed on the ball than engaging with you.

    Bad manners and rough play do not always go hand in hand. My dogs also get much more love than discipline, because from puppies I have always heavily reinforced good behaviour. They dont really know any different and they all have excellent social skills with strange people and dogs.
    You agree with me no rough play without solid boundries & take individual dogs temp into account.
    I lot of what I read gave me the feeeling that some people rough house insteed of walking & training etc & that really WORRIES me.

  10. #20

    Default

    I want to again say my post was not ALL about Lala's post. Her post was 1 of many that concerned me. Just because it concerned me dose not mean I dislike you or disagree with everything you say. I say it how I see it & sorry if I have upset anyone as this was not my attention but that said if I think something is wrong or silly i will say so.
    I never refered anyone to any posts as that was not my plan[to single out poeple] & just wanted a frank disscusion on this as I can see a lot of poeple feel differently to me & that is OK.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •