Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Is Crate Training the Answer? Or Not?

  1. #1

    Default Is Crate Training the Answer? Or Not?

    A while ago I posted a "Save Our Sleep" thread and with the advice of Clea decided to move Poppy out of our ensuite and into the bigger main bathroom and IGNORE the scratching, whining so to help both her and us to get a better nights sleep.

    It has worked pretty well. Last night she scratched at the door for about 2 mins but I think that was only because we had her in with us the night before due to us not being sure if she was sick or not.

    Other than that she rarely scratches or whines when in there, unless she hears us get us for a drink in the night or something like that. And even then it doesnt last more than a min or two.

    The problem now is that she wee's and poo's in the bathroom EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. And I don't think its a case of can't hold on, I think it has become a learn't behaviour. We take her out and MAKE SURE she goes to the toilet every night before bed. Last night we did go to be early (8pm - yes...we are grandmas!!! ) but OH got up at 4am to take her out (he was up at that time getting ready for work) and she had wee'd and poo'd in there.

    When we have to leave her during the day we still keep her in her pen and she holds on while in there. She very rarely will wee or poo in her pen so I know she has the bladder/bowel control.

    So....My Q is...will crate training her help this toileting problem or will she just wee and poo in the crate all over her bed?

    Also is it too late to think about crate training her? She will be 16 weeks on Sunday?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    It's never too late to crate train.

    Use her pen as a crate - it works the same way. I had it set up as 2x2 panels if that makes sense, with newspaper in one corner only on the 2nd night. She held just fine through the night and only had a little wee on the 2nd night, but I put that down to not feeling too good. She was taking herself in there when she wanted a rest too.



    ETA: Just make sure it's positive to go in there, so that's where you feed her, that's where she gets bones etc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Do NOT use a crate at night if she is not holding on to her pee and poop...it is a disaster waiting to happen. She will become very distressed if she can not relieve herself at night and will eventually do it in the crate...that is not good.

    It is NEVER too late to crate train. It has taken me 1 week to crate train Eddie and I am pretty sure he had NEVER been in one before.

    She is ONLY 16 weeks...not many dogs are "clean" by then to be honest...some dogs are not completely toilet trained until they are 10-12 months. I have been lucky with my dogs...Sumo was toilet trained by 4 months and Ruby by about 5 months...including nights.

    What the crate can do however is teach poppy to hold on to it for a little bit longer during the day.

    For you to establish the crate as a good thing...you need to feed her in the crate and if she falls a sleep on lets say the floor...you need to put her in the crate for her sleep. This helps because...dogs normally do NOT soil where they sleep and eat!

    But like I said...do not force the night toiletting issues...she will become clean in her own time.

    When do you feed her dinner?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Do NOT use a crate at night if she is not holding on to her pee and poop...it is a disaster waiting to happen. She will become very distressed if she can not relieve herself at night and will eventually do it in the crate...that is not good.

    It is NEVER too late to crate train. It has taken me 1 week to crate train Eddie and I am pretty sure he had NEVER been in one before.

    She is ONLY 16 weeks...not many dogs are "clean" by then to be honest...some dogs are not completely toilet trained until they are 10-12 months. I have been lucky with my dogs...Sumo was toilet trained by 4 months and Ruby by about 5 months...including nights.

    What the crate can do however is teach poppy to hold on to it for a little bit longer during the day.

    For you to establish the crate as a good thing...you need to feed her in the crate and if she falls a sleep on lets say the floor...you need to put her in the crate for her sleep. This helps because...dogs normally do NOT soil where they sleep and eat!

    But like I said...do not force the night toiletting issues...she will become clean in her own time.

    When do you feed her dinner?
    She can hold through the night. The wee she did on the 2nd night was on the newspaper in the corner of her crate because I was asleep and didn't wake to take her out.

    That's why I suggested using the pen in the same way as a crate

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    sorry Im no help with crating, you haven't tried putting her in Laundry and having a doggy door or leaving a door ajar for her to go out on her own accord?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    A couple of questions, when was she fed in relation to going to bed at 8pm

    With the puppies, they get fed around 5:30pm they stay outside until about 7-7:30pm then they are allowed into the lounge room where they rumble for about 1/2hr and flake out on the dog bed.

    We go to bed at about 10:30 and they are WOKEN up and taken out to the toilet, normally just a wee and then are put in their play pen in the lounge room and have now gone many nights right thru to 5:30am. When I can hear their feet on the paper, I rush up to them and put them outside until about 7am before removing them to the outside puppy run so that the big dogs can come out of their run, burn off steam and have breakfast. No messes at all thru the night.

    The puppies used to get me up about 2am. But not any more. I do expect the occasional 2am, they are after all just 9wks old.

    So if the bathroom is not working then yes progress to a crate. I like the wire ones because they can suit all temperatures, blankets winter, no blankets covering over the top for summer.

    Enough room for a bed a water bowl and some newspaper down. My crate is 120cm x 120cm square. Quite large but it doubles as my show crate and had all 7 puppies in it at one stage. It has no floor, I have a pce of lino cut to size down to protect the carpet and folds down flat and I can pack it away or move it to another area.

    I like to leave puppies outside as much as possible. Inside is a treat where they behave quietly. Not because I force them to just because they've worn out investigating outside and doing what puppies do.

    Is Poppy wearing out?

    Whippets are extremely clean dogs and I didn't let them become accustomed to any mess in their crate. I had many nights broken sleep trying to achieve it with 7 wanting to go to the toilet at different times but it was worth the effort. They also really like outside so going out in the dark and running halfway down the yard to go didn't worry them.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    It's never too late to crate train.

    Use her pen as a crate - it works the same way. I had it set up as 2x2 panels if that makes sense, with newspaper in one corner only on the 2nd night. She held just fine through the night and only had a little wee on the 2nd night, but I put that down to not feeling too good. She was taking herself in there when she wanted a rest too.



    ETA: Just make sure it's positive to go in there, so that's where you feed her, that's where she gets bones etc.
    I saw that! Did you just fold the panels over onto themselves? I would prefer to actually buy a crate I think...just because we use the pen outside for when we have to leave her during the day and moving it in and out would be a pain in the @ss as it is heavy!!!

    On a side note, I was talking about selling the pen yesterday with OH as we won't need it too much longer. But then I thought we might as well keep it for when/if we get another puppy. OH then said we could use it as a play pen for our children too! Needless to say I told him in no uncertain terms what I thought of that idea!


    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Do NOT use a crate at night if she is not holding on to her pee and poop...it is a disaster waiting to happen. She will become very distressed if she can not relieve herself at night and will eventually do it in the crate...that is not good.

    It is NEVER too late to crate train. It has taken me 1 week to crate train Eddie and I am pretty sure he had NEVER been in one before.

    She is ONLY 16 weeks...not many dogs are "clean" by then to be honest...some dogs are not completely toilet trained until they are 10-12 months. I have been lucky with my dogs...Sumo was toilet trained by 4 months and Ruby by about 5 months...including nights.

    What the crate can do however is teach poppy to hold on to it for a little bit longer during the day.

    For you to establish the crate as a good thing...you need to feed her in the crate and if she falls a sleep on lets say the floor...you need to put her in the crate for her sleep. This helps because...dogs normally do NOT soil where they sleep and eat!

    But like I said...do not force the night toiletting issues...she will become clean in her own time.

    When do you feed her dinner?
    I feed her dinner at around 6pm. Should I do it earlier to get the poo out?

    I really think she CAN hold on but has developed a habit of going in the bigger bathroom. When we bought her home at 8 weeks she used to hold all through the night in our ensuite. Its only since we have moved her to the bigger bathroom that this has become an issue.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    She can hold through the night. The wee she did on the 2nd night was on the newspaper in the corner of her crate because I was asleep and didn't wake to take her out.

    That's why I suggested using the pen in the same way as a crate
    Amy said she pees and poops every night...that is why I said...no crate when she is like that.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post
    sorry Im no help with crating, you haven't tried putting her in Laundry and having a doggy door or leaving a door ajar for her to go out on her own accord?
    Out Laundry is in the double garage so we don't really have that option. I wish we did though!

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    A couple of questions, when was she fed in relation to going to bed at 8pm

    With the puppies, they get fed around 5:30pm they stay outside until about 7-7:30pm then they are allowed into the lounge room where they rumble for about 1/2hr and flake out on the dog bed.

    We go to bed at about 10:30 and they are WOKEN up and taken out to the toilet, normally just a wee and then are put in their play pen in the lounge room and have now gone many nights right thru to 5:30am. When I can hear their feet on the paper, I rush up to them and put them outside until about 7am before removing them to the outside puppy run so that the big dogs can come out of their run, burn off steam and have breakfast. No messes at all thru the night.

    The puppies used to get me up about 2am. But not any more. I do expect the occasional 2am, they are after all just 9wks old.

    So if the bathroom is not working then yes progress to a crate. I like the wire ones because they can suit all temperatures, blankets winter, no blankets covering over the top for summer.

    Enough room for a bed a water bowl and some newspaper down. My crate is 120cm x 120cm square. Quite large but it doubles as my show crate and had all 7 puppies in it at one stage. It has no floor, I have a pce of lino cut to size down to protect the carpet and folds down flat and I can pack it away or move it to another area.

    I like to leave puppies outside as much as possible. Inside is a treat where they behave quietly. Not because I force them to just because they've worn out investigating outside and doing what puppies do.

    Is Poppy wearing out?

    Whippets are extremely clean dogs and I didn't let them become accustomed to any mess in their crate. I had many nights broken sleep trying to achieve it with 7 wanting to go to the toilet at different times but it was worth the effort. They also really like outside so going out in the dark and running halfway down the yard to go didn't worry them.
    She was fed just after 6pm, so I guess I didn't think that one through.

    She used to hold until 5.30am - 6am when we had her in our ensuite at 8weeks till about 10 weeks. She holds it when she is in her pen even though she is outside. What do you mean "Is Poppy wearing out"

    Perhaps its time to think about letting her have run of the whole back yard and using the pen inside. Although that scares me a tad!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    you can always do the night crating...set your alarm for say 2.30am...take her out for a toilet break and put her back in the crate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •