Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: GSD Pup Wont 'drop'

  1. #21

    Default

    The way I taught Keeda how to go down was by sitting on the floor with my feet on the floor in front of me and legs bent at the knees so that she could just get under them. I got a treat and lured her under my legs with it. She'd have to crouch down into a crawling position to crawl through my legs. When she was under, I'd gently push my legs down so that she had to stay under them in a laying position, gave her the treat, and praised. It only took her a little while to "get it"

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    I taught mine by showing him - put him in a sit position, than gently placed his front feet in a down position. Then awarded. It's not by the book, but nothing else worked. He figured after few tries.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liza View Post
    The way I taught Keeda how to go down was by sitting on the floor with my feet on the floor in front of me and legs bent at the knees so that she could just get under them. I got a treat and lured her under my legs with it. She'd have to crouch down into a crawling position to crawl through my legs. When she was under, I'd gently push my legs down so that she had to stay under them in a laying position, gave her the treat, and praised. It only took her a little while to "get it"
    Excellent technique Liza !!

    This is how I taught Spirit to "bow", except I used my left leg under her tummy to support her back end still being in the air while she had her front end in the drop position.

    When she started to get the hang of it, I was able to stand with her standing side on to me & I just used my foot under her tummy to assist her to hold the position. It was at this stage I started to introduce the verbal "bow" cue.

    Now the "bow" trick is part of her daily repertoire of just "being Spirit".

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDs4Ever View Post
    Excellent technique Liza !!

    This is how I taught Spirit to "bow", except I used my left leg under her tummy to support her back end still being in the air while she had her front end in the drop position.

    When she started to get the hang of it, I was able to stand with her standing side on to me & I just used my foot under her tummy to assist her to hold the position. It was at this stage I started to introduce the verbal "bow" cue.

    Now the "bow" trick is part of her daily repertoire of just "being Spirit".
    Ooh I will keep this in mind. 'Bow' is something I want to teach Troopa after we get his basic obedience down pat

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    Ooh I will keep this in mind. 'Bow' is something I want to teach Troopa after we get his basic obedience down pat
    I've ALWAYS wanted a dog that could "bow", but just didn't know how to teach the exercise before this.

    I'd teach him now .... while he's a "sponge" ... if it were me ... sorry if I seem a bit pushy Megan. The only "temporary" mistake you can possibly make is that he'll have his bum in the air when you ask him to "drop" & he thinks you mean "bow". You just have to be very clear with your hand/body signals & verbals of what "drop" and "bow" means for Troopa. You may have to change these signals until Troopa "clicks" & says "Got it Mum !! What's next ??" After all, Sheppies love stuff that makes their mind "tick" .... except for my beautiful Tara. I love every fibre of her, but I swear, that dog is a German Shepherd on the outside with a .. (& I apologise in advance to anyone I might offend) .... Red Setter's or Afghan's brain.

    You'll get it sorted. Give it a go Megan & let us know what happens.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    122

    Default

    "is he an "inny" or an "outty"?"

    Cleasanta, it gave me a laugh but that's the BEST description I've heard. I always train 'inny' as I have found you get a 'cleaner' and more precise drop.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    Well, bugger me! Cleasantra, whilst i laughed at this; 'inny' or 'outty' thing, ive tried to see if he's an 'inny', n yep, you're right, he's an inny. Now does it on command, just with the prompt/lure being inward to his body, not outward away from paws, if you know what i mean.
    I agree with the comment Drop would be better. However, for 2 reasons, im sticking with lay down. Drop, means, spit out what is in your mouth now. Having used up that word, this seemed the next best thing. But i do agree, not a great verbal signal at all.
    A mistake ive made. And gotten away with hopefully?
    Bernie

    Bernie was off colour last w/e. Listless, led on cool tiles of laundry, for way too long in hindsight. We went to bed, got up the next day, very sorry for himself Bernie, a very wobbly on his legs, listless pup. Turned out to be a upset tummy. But he's lost weight from it. Now over it, and needing feeding up. Cant wait to have his weight checked by the vet, as he seems way to skinny to me. That could be because my last dog was a rottie, so a GSD pup seems scrawny in comparision. But i can feel all his bones, its yuk.

    So now we have the sit, sit stay, down, down stay, recall, the playing with his dog mates in the paddocks in the morning walk. Im really enjoying meeting the most lovely people whilst out walking in the morning. I see a elderly lady, with a red staffy called Maverick at 6.30am romp time. Maverick is NUTS! He's the most hectic, but adorable 1.5yr old staffy male ive met. He will run off from his owner, all the way through the fields trailing us on our walk, just to say "hi" for 2 seconds, then runs back to his mum. I bet she's fuming when he gets back. Hope she's praising him for coming back. Even if it was eventually.

  8. #28

    Default

    Where about in Melb are you ?? I can help you out with something (for free) to get the weight on. I'm having to do this with Spirit at the moment. She's 21 months & a "fart in a bottle" all the time, so keeping the weight on her is necessary.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    As far as putting weight on dogs goes, I have used DiVetelact very sucessfully with adult dogs - it's a powdered milk formula that you can get from the vets and some pet produce stores, I usually mix it into a paste and stir through the food. Helped my last foster get from 9.5kgs to 20kgs - he was an ACD but I don't see why it wouldn't work on GSD's?

    My old vet from down home taught me this with the first dog I fostered.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    As far as putting weight on dogs goes, I have used DiVetelact very sucessfully with adult dogs - it's a powdered milk formula that you can get from the vets and some pet produce stores, I usually mix it into a paste and stir through the food. Helped my last foster get from 9.5kgs to 20kgs - he was an ACD but I don't see why it wouldn't work on GSD's?

    My old vet from down home taught me this with the first dog I fostered.
    Really? Hmmm, I have an unopened can of it here that I was going to donate to rescue. I think I just may keep it now. Ta Angela.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •