Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 119

Thread: An Alpha Dog????

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Also, I do try and make sure Dora knows that I'm her leader, but she shows signs of submission (I think) when she comes to me - head slightly down, no eye contact, ears back, tail still (but not between her legs) - so so far, I think Im going good.
    She's showing signs of fear and discomfort and if you think it's good - well done (not). Why do you people want submissive dogs so much??? I don't get it! Why do you want dog that comes to you as described, rather than happy, cheerfull, tail wagging creature that is not affraid to look you in the eyes and is happy to come to you? There is no relationship here I'm afraid...

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    I do like Cesar, but I only use one of his methods, which technically isnt his: making sure Dora walks beside me or a little behind, not in front. Which would be classified as heel, wouldnt it?
    Also, I do try and make sure Dora knows that I'm her leader, but she shows signs of submission (I think) when she comes to me - head slightly down, no eye contact, ears back, tail still (but not between her legs) - so so far, I think Im going good.
    I've only just spotted this. Masha, she needs the confidence to look at your face. A dog should NEVER be afraid to look at the faces of it's family, particularly not a puppy. When you join up to a dog school (possibly even at puppy preschool) you will be teaching your puppy to 'watch' or 'focus'. These commands require her to look at your face, not your hands or anything else.

    I know that you admire Cesar BUT having your own puppy/dog look at your face isn't dominance at all. Dora should be approaching you by either running up, tail wagging, looking at you, ears up or relaxed. She shouldn't be looking down, approaching you slowly, ears back, and with no movement of her tail. A dogs tail wagging freely is a sign of happiness and that is what she needs. Let her be a puppy and relax, then get into training, she needs to bond with you (it may seem as though she already has but a firm bond takes time to achieve. Will add more shortly.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Here...we teach our dogs to "look". Looking is how we know they are paying attention to us...by having eye contact. If your dog is too scared to give you eye contact...you need to take a step back. She needs to be allowed to act like a puppy and be a puppy

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I don't have submissive dogs, but I still do training. You'll get there Masha, your young and enthusiastic and your learning.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I also meant to say, but didn't, because computer is going nuts.


    But if my dogs were submission I would forget all training and just have fun.

    As said before, I would much rather work with an over enthusiastic dog than a reluctant dog any day.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedra View Post
    She's showing signs of fear and discomfort and if you think it's good - well done (not). Why do you people want submissive dogs so much??? I don't get it! Why do you want dog that comes to you as described, rather than happy, cheerfull, tail wagging creature that is not affraid to look you in the eyes and is happy to come to you? There is no relationship here I'm afraid...
    Fedra is correct, Masha.

    Your dog is showing submission all right, but in a totally fearful way. And unfortunately, a fearful dog can often become a dangerous dog. This would also explain some of the other behaviour she seems to be portraying, reading around the threads.

    We are here to help you, so please take this on board in the kindest way - you MUST start to develop a totally unfearful and loving relationship with Dora NOW.

    Mouse&Chicken has also given you some outstanding advice IMO. Step back the training, and start playing until Dora looses all this fearfulness. Otherwise nothing good is going to come from it in the end.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    looses = loses. Doh.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Fedra is correct, Masha.

    Your dog is showing submission all right, but in a totally fearful way. And unfortunately, a fearful dog can often become a dangerous dog. This would also explain some of the other behaviour she seems to be portraying, reading around the threads.

    We are here to help you, so please take this on board in the kindest way - you MUST start to develop a totally unfearful and loving relationship with Dora NOW.

    Mouse&Chicken has also given you some outstanding advice IMO. Step back the training, and start playing until Dora looses all this fearfulness. Otherwise nothing good is going to come from it in the end.
    Whoa. You've opened my eyes. I've being reading way too much Cesar.
    The trainer from puppy classes said to practice the looking at your face exercise at least twice a day and I'm gonna start doing it a bit more often.
    When I come home after a few hours away, Dora DOES run up to me, tail wagging, but since I've watched and read so much Cesar I thought it was dominant behaviour.
    God, I'm so STUPID.
    From now on, Dora and I will throw out this Cesar junk and start having fun

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    I've only just spotted this. Masha, she needs the confidence to look at your face. A dog should NEVER be afraid to look at the faces of it's family, particularly not a puppy. When you join up to a dog school (possibly even at puppy preschool) you will be teaching your puppy to 'watch' or 'focus'. These commands require her to look at your face, not your hands or anything else.

    I know that you admire Cesar BUT having your own puppy/dog look at your face isn't dominance at all. Dora should be approaching you by either running up, tail wagging, looking at you, ears up or relaxed. She shouldn't be looking down, approaching you slowly, ears back, and with no movement of her tail. A dogs tail wagging freely is a sign of happiness and that is what she needs. Let her be a puppy and relax, then get into training, she needs to bond with you (it may seem as though she already has but a firm bond takes time to achieve. Will add more shortly.
    Can't wait for it

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Whoa. You've opened my eyes. I've being reading way too much Cesar.
    Yay!!!

    Now let's give you some useful stuff to read

    Calming Signals Community

    Flying Dog Press - Suzanne Clothier - Registration Required!
    (you must log in to read articles, but trust me, it's worth investing those 5 minutes )

    Sirius Dog Training

    A-Z Parenting Resources | Wonder Puppy
    (this one's good, browse through for some useful literature)

    Using 'Dominance' To Explain Dog Behavior Is Old Hat

    Good luck!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •