Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 383

Thread: Prong Collars, Why?

  1. #251

    Default open minded and closed

    its just seems so obvious.People use choker chains or prong collars.By choice.Lots of us trainers have tried other training devices,have tried other training methods and decide for ourselves which ones we believe are the better for our purposes.We are open minded we look at "new" options.Why wouldnt we .We want the best for our customers dogs.If we could find a way to train that knocks our socks off and it has merits that out weigh our present training methods of course we would look at it consider it and hey might even use it.
    But then there are the so called trainers that think that a dog is human or human like.They think dogs understand them.Dont be fooled they DONT understand what you are thinking or saying.They associate words with actions.These people will never ever ever try something that THEY believe to be harmfull even though they havent tried them.Heresay is not a valid excuse nor is ignorance.
    Dont damm a training aid if you havent tried it.
    gawwd i love this topic makes me feel alive again

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allbreeds View Post
    its just seems so obvious.People use choker chains or prong collars.By choice.Lots of us trainers have tried other training devices,have tried other training methods and decide for ourselves which ones we believe are the better for our purposes.We are open minded we look at "new" options.Why wouldnt we .We want the best for our customers dogs.If we could find a way to train that knocks our socks off and it has merits that out weigh our present training methods of course we would look at it consider it and hey might even use it.
    But then there are the so called trainers that think that a dog is human or human like.They think dogs understand them.Dont be fooled they DONT understand what you are thinking or saying.They associate words with actions.These people will never ever ever try something that THEY believe to be harmfull even though they havent tried them.Heresay is not a valid excuse nor is ignorance.
    Dont damm a training aid if you havent tried it.
    gawwd i love this topic makes me feel alive again

    The mark of a great trainer is one that can keep an open mind and try new methods. The ability to adapt to a situation is the most important rule when training. I dont understand peoples resistance to doing this.

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    The mark of a great trainer is one that can keep an open mind and try new methods. The ability to adapt to a situation is the most important rule when training. I dont understand peoples resistance to doing this.
    The mark of a great trainer is to achieve results without harming and hurting a dog.
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE Suburbs - Melbourne
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Even some of the besttrainers in the world will use some sort of correction, physical or removal of something. Even the best trainers will tell each dog is different and each dog needs a different level/type of correction.

    I know that the so call "Positive Training" using no physical corrections does not work for my dog (highly dominant not food driven), a check chain or P-Collar does.
    Dogs Aren't Our Whole Lives, But They Make Our Lives Whole


  5. #255
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedra View Post
    The mark of a great trainer is to achieve results without harming and hurting a dog.
    Yes.
    But when a prong collar is used properly by people who know how to use it on a dog that needs it, it DOES NOT hurt the dog. It has been proven to do less damage to the tissue than a flat collar!
    Like any training aid when it is used in the right situation it is a good tool.

    I myself use physical correction. I am a very hands on trainer. If my dog does a good job I praise it and give it a pat or a treat. If my dog does the wrong thing I will check it or give a sharp "No" or "Uh". I do not do any more damage to my dogs than either they themselves or another dog would do to them. Just because I am a hands on trainer does not mean my dogs are nervious or driven my fear. I think they are far more confortable knowing that although they will get checked if they overstep the boundaries, I would never hurt them.
    I did not feel confortable in my local training club because their entire method consisted of lure and food treats. The did not touch their dogs, if they wanted the dog to stay they shoveled treats into its face. It didnt sit well with me but it works for some people. Each to his own. If you are happy getting your dogs to work for treats then that is your right, but to right of a training tool just because you wouldnt use it on your dog is a bit closed minded. I do not have a dog on my property that I wold use a prong collar on. It is not an apropriate tool for any of them. But I do know how to use one, I know trainers that have used one, and I have seen them in use. Even though I have no need for one I recognise that they are a usefull tool for some dogs.

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    Yes.
    But when a prong collar is used properly by people who know how to use it on a dog that needs it, it DOES NOT hurt the dog. It has been proven to do less damage to the tissue than a flat collar!
    proven by whom???? scientifically? Well, I find that hard to believe it And what is "the right way to use it"? One way or another dog gets the spikes stuck in its neck and throath, so... no, there's no "right way" if you ask me.

    Like any training aid when it is used in the right situation it is a good tool.
    It's a tool. But I don't know about "good"

    I myself use physical correction. I am a very hands on trainer. If my dog does a good job I praise it and give it a pat or a treat. If my dog does the wrong thing I will check it or give a sharp "No" or "Uh". I do not do any more damage to my dogs than either they themselves or another dog would do to them. Just because I am a hands on trainer does not mean my dogs are nervious or driven my fear. I think they are far more confortable knowing that although they will get checked if they overstep the boundaries, I would never hurt them.
    OK, that's your style. I do think dog needs correction, but not the kind most trainers use. I never jerk my dogs, nor do I use check chains. I also think food bribery is very wrong and yes, awarding with food is OK, but not all the time and luring and bribing is just not on for me.

    Even though I have no need for one I recognise that they are a usefull tool for some dogs.
    In my life I've seen maybe 2 cases that would perhaps require such thing and only because dogs were very large and very very effed up and aggressive, so if I have to decide to use a prong collar in order to save those dogs lives so they don't get pts, yes, I would use it. Other cases like pulling on lead, classic "disobedience" etc. are solvable with other means and mostly patience.
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

  7. #257

    Default Spikes stuck in neck and throat your kidding arent you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedra View Post
    proven by whom???? scientifically? Well, I find that hard to believe it And what is "the right way to use it"? One way or another dog gets the spikes stuck in its neck and throath, so... no, there's no "right way" if you ask me.

    Where does anybody mention the spikes get stuck in a dogs neck.IF you had ever seen one you would realize the prongs are bent inwards.They cant stab the dog.IF you ever hold one try putting it around your leg and pull on it.It doesnt jab into you.Dont make comments that you know nothing about.

    It's a tool. But I don't know about "good"

    WHY dont you think its good?Because you have never used one? What makes them not good?

    OK, that's your style. I do think dog needs correction, but not the kind most trainers use. I never jerk my dogs, nor do I use check chains. I also think food bribery is very wrong and yes, awarding with food is OK, but not all the time and luring and bribing is just not on for me.

    So tell us what do YOU do?And how do you correct a dog?

    In my life I've seen maybe 2 cases that would perhaps require such thing and only because dogs were very large and very very effed up and aggressive, so if I have to decide to use a prong collar in order to save those dogs lives so they don't get pts, yes, I would use it. Other cases like pulling on lead, classic "disobedience" etc. are solvable with other means and mostly patience.
    Other means what other means dont be so vague.Tell us how you do it.A prong collar in my opinion and i guess many others that use them will NOT curb aggression on its on.And then of course what sort of aggression are you talking about?
    And why only large dogs? ive seen more agressive dogs that are cute white and fluffy than large ones.
    Patience?? people pay money to get their dogs trained they havent got patience they want their dog "fixed".Why waste time with another method that will take two times or three times longer?If the outcome is the same why not use the quicker way?

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE Suburbs - Melbourne
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Here is one study Prong Collar Info

    This website also talks about moving back to a flat collar later on...

    Fedra if you hope onto google there are many studies of the use of a P-Collar...

    Most studies are US based, There was one or 2 done here in oz but I can't find them. K9Force may be able to help there...
    Dogs Aren't Our Whole Lives, But They Make Our Lives Whole


  9. #259
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Thank you netty I did not know who did the studdies, I was told only the results. That is not the one I was told about but it does show more or less the same thing.

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  10. #260

    Default

    One thing better than hearsay ........ facts
    Thanx Netty

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •