Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Teach Tug to Older Dog

  1. #1

    Default Teach Tug to Older Dog

    I have a dog that currently isn't interested in tug. I want to teach her to be obsessed with tug.

    What is the best way to go about this??

  2. #2

    Default

    Ummm, would help if you told us her age & breed ???????

    IMO if she's not interested in tug why make her do it

  3. #3

    Default

    Some dogs just don't like tug.... there is nothing wrong in that, I wouldn't force it. He/She might enjoy fetch instead?? Playing is just that, and if they don't enjoy something just try something else that will work for both of you.

  4. #4

    Default

    She is a 6 year old Border Collie

    The reasons for doing this are for play and to increase her drive(for agility purposes). I want to switch from using 100% food treats to reward her. To rewarding her with a game (ie.tug) 90% of the time and food rewards for the other 10%.

    I have started getting her excited about playing tug but was after alternative methods that other people had had success with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    I've seen agility dogs rewarded with play with their owners - no other props required, also with squeaky toys or balls for fetch/chew.

    Getting a dog to do something it really doesn't want to/can't be bothered with requires a lot of patience and persistance. Using a clicker can work (look up clicker training), and you break the activity down into little steps ie click for sniff the tug toy, repeat lots, click for mouth the tug toy, repeat lots, click for pick up the tug toy - repeat lots. etc.

    The only problem I have with using tug instead of food for rewards at (obedience) training is once my puppy dog has started playing - it's hard to get her back into working mode, so I have to concentrate on more calming rewards like stroking her ears. Which is not as "rewarding" as chasing her friends she spots in other classes. Sigh.

    I'd be interested in knowing how you got your previously uninterested dog interested in the tug toy. It's hard for us to offer different ideas when we don't know what idea you used.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Hi there

    I used to have an agility dog "Jess" (RIP)..she was a cattle x kelpie. She never liked playing tug either. She'd just love heaps of praise and silly talk from me and she'd jump up into my arms for a big cuddle..lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Shads loved tug, Pretty has no interest. I think it depends on the dog not what we want and it is up to us to find out what they do like and respond to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Chloe LOVESSS tug, and squeaky toys but can't stand fetching a ball, she flat out refuses to do it...

    As others have said, if she's not that keen it must just not be her 'thing'.. I guess its like kickboxing and ballet to us.. Some people love it, others hate it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    My JRT loved tug till he was about 6 and my Kelpie has never been interested. I dont reckon she ever learnt how to play in her first year with her original owners.
    Education not Legislation

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •