Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: Koda's progress

  1. #21

    Default

    'maddogdodge' - really loving all your updates – more videos - maybe – please?

    Who knows what you two will be able to achieve - with the focus you are getting with your so-called problem pup – maybe something like this - which came through my FB page today ?

    Border collie Zoe & AMAZING dog tricks! - YouTube

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    'maddogdodge' - really loving all your updates – more videos - maybe – please?

    Who knows what you two will be able to achieve - with the focus you are getting with your so-called problem pup – maybe something like this - which came through my FB page today ?

    Border collie Zoe & AMAZING dog tricks! - YouTube
    Thanks Riley
    I love that video! seen it quite a few times! I do make quite a few videos myself its one of my hobbies, and i do have some trick videos planned to make when i finally get the time

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Had an incident the other day with Koda...
    Long story short, someone turned up at our house and let his two jack russels off leash without asking us. (thankfully there was a fence keeping them away from Koda) Koda started screaming and became desperately crazy. He was also jealous of Dodge, who was playing with the little dogs... We eventually managed to calm him somewhat. But yeah... it wasn't too much fun He didn't seem necessarily aggressive, just really desperate.

    Saw an Aussie in my home town today (my town is tiny, there are no shops... just a school, park and a church). This kinda reminded me how much i wish i could be social with Koda, so i suggested that my mum and i take Koda for a walk into town this arvo seeing as the weather is unusually warm. The idea was instantly dismissed, because "what if something happens?"
    I can understand Mum's nervousness about us potentially encountering a dog on a walk... but it has been months since i've taken Koda for a walk off our property... and i really miss doing activities with him
    Mum keeps saying that we need to practice with him more by letting him meet new dogs at home... thing is... we dont know any dogs other than small fluffy things... or giant great danes which are hyper, neither of which will do for Koda's training. Its been so long since he's seen a dog off our property (Almost 18 months) that i genuinely don't know how he'd react.
    What do you guys think... is it a good idea for us to take Koda out places... or should we continue sheltering him?
    Also, say we did take him out somewhere and we were faced with an off leash dog... what would be the best thing for us to do at that point?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    I just read through the whole thread. But couldn't watch the video as I only have mobile internet right now.

    I'm sorry that Koda's still being anti social. It is upsetting when you put so much time and effort in and then they seem to relapse.

    My intuition would be to take him out more and do the LAT training when he is below threshold. It works to calm Banjo down around other dogs though she seems to react more out of fear and insecurity. The whole idea of LAT is to condition the link between the trigger and good feelings, so the more you practice in a variety of situations, the better it will work. You can start from a very safe distance and maybe that will give your mum more confidence in the process too.

    Off leash dogs that aren't under control are a real worry though and I don't know how to deal with them in those situations either. I hope someone else here has some good tips for that because I'd be interested too.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    I just read through the whole thread. But couldn't watch the video as I only have mobile internet right now.

    I'm sorry that Koda's still being anti social. It is upsetting when you put so much time and effort in and then they seem to relapse.

    My intuition would be to take him out more and do the LAT training when he is below threshold. It works to calm Banjo down around other dogs though she seems to react more out of fear and insecurity. The whole idea of LAT is to condition the link between the trigger and good feelings, so the more you practice in a variety of situations, the better it will work. You can start from a very safe distance and maybe that will give your mum more confidence in the process too.

    Off leash dogs that aren't under control are a real worry though and I don't know how to deal with them in those situations either. I hope someone else here has some good tips for that because I'd be interested too.
    Thanks Beloz (great to have you back by the way!)
    I'm hoping i can convince mum to let me take him out somewhere... I'm also thinking i might contact some Australian Shepherd people i've met at expo's to see if they would be willing to help me out in a controlled situation. I think the main thing that my mum is worried about is off leash dogs... cause there do seem to be quite a few around lately. (In fact there are suddenly lots of pure breed dogs in my town... its weird... Bulldogs, Great Danes, Aussies, BC's, Kelpies... the list goes on!)
    It amazes me how many people just don't think! We've had so many people turn up to buy stuff (my dad does scrap metal) and they just let their dogs loose on our property without even asking... Lucky for them, Dodge is friendly with everyone and Koda is always locked in the backyard!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    (i'm going to use this thread as a place to keep everyone updated on Koda's training)

    I'm feeling a bit chuffed right now!!

    So today i took Koda on his first proper walk in two years. I chose a quiet time of day so that there wouldn't be too many exciting things around. When i first got him out of the car he was very excited about being in a new place with so many new smells but i did feel like i had him under control. We started walking and straight away a Jack Russell came running down someone's driveway barking like crazy. Koda got reasonably excited but i corrected him a couple of times and he calmed down and we moved on. Because he was so excited about being in a new place he was pulling on the leash like crazy, but after about 10 minutes the initial excitement wore off and he was happily walking by my side. After we had been walking for around 20 minutes, we were walking past some houses and there was a very calm looking German Short Haired Pointer lingering around under a tree. Koda saw the dog before i did, but to my surprise he was exceptionally calm considering what i've seen him be like around dogs in the past. As soon as i saw him react slightly to the dog i corrected him quickly and he stopped looking at the dog calmed down and happily walked loose leash right past this dog!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! Also right as i was nearly at the car, a dog started barking in someone's back yard, this made Koda react but again, a couple of corrections and he was completely calm, submissive!! I am so happy right now, I feel so much more confident that i will be able to achieve my goals with him!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    maddogdodge

    Did you match the corrections with praise and etc for the behaviour you wanted.

    I'm a bit reluctant to "correct" Frosty when she occasionally goes off at another dog. Because I suspect she would think I was scolding the other dog / human / cat and try to join in and help scold. Ie with her - it would be worse.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    maddogdodge

    Did you match the corrections with praise and etc for the behaviour you wanted.

    I'm a bit reluctant to "correct" Frosty when she occasionally goes off at another dog. Because I suspect she would think I was scolding the other dog / human / cat and try to join in and help scold. Ie with her - it would be worse.
    Yes i did match the corrections with praise, when he was calm he got treats, pats and 'good boy'.
    Koda isn't the kind of dog that would do that, he is too sensitive. Besides, by correct i just mean a quick tug on the leash to the side and the 'chtt' sound. Its not something he could think is aimed at anything but him. He knows what that means and he responds to it better then he has ever responded to anything else.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    tasmania
    Posts
    266

    Default

    That is great news Maddoddodge.
    I'm guessing the more you do it the more relaxed and confident you'll become and so the more relaxed and confident he'll be too.

    It must of been a bit daunting for you this first time not being overly sure how he'd react to other dogs but i'm so pleased for you and him that things went so well.

    Just wondering if you had his muzzle on him?
    If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkandz View Post
    That is great news Maddoddodge.
    I'm guessing the more you do it the more relaxed and confident you'll become and so the more relaxed and confident he'll be too.

    It must of been a bit daunting for you this first time not being overly sure how he'd react to other dogs but i'm so pleased for you and him that things went so well.

    Just wondering if you had his muzzle on him?
    It was a little daunting, but i did my best to stay focussed, calm and just enjoy the walk myself as well

    Koda was wearing the muzzle, he couldn't have cared less about it though. He is totally chilled about the muzzle, didn't try to take it off once
    As long as the weather stays good, i'm planning to take him out every day from now on

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •