Hello, my cousin has a dog called Ruby. She was found as a puppy almost dead, someone just chucked her out obviously not wanting her, she was only 4 weeks old! Anyway so my cousin took her home, to the vet and now she is around a year old and the opposite of unhealthy. She does however have behavioral problems because she did not grow up with proper discipline from her mother, and my cousin felt sorry for her and never got her in trouble when the dog was naughty because she felt bad. Shes quite a well behaved dog, but she will be living with us for a few weeks while my cousin finds a dog friendly place to live. Here are some of her problems, would anyone have any idea how to fix them?
- Using her mouth the play with hands, while she doesnt bite her teeth are very sharp!
- Running away if she gets out the front, she doesn't run away completely she wanders and if you approach her she will run away in a very playful way.
- Jumping on people if they run
- Barking at the cat if the cat doesn't want to play with her
- Not getting off furniture when she is told
- Picking up toys around the house and chewing on them (Childrens toys, however I don't know if this is because she is still a puppy)
Because she didn't grow up around other dogs, she never knew the rules and didn't quite understand pack hierarchy, however after spending a while with my dog she learnt that if a dog growls and shows it teeth it doesn't want to play and she would leave. Luckily my dog is very patient and gentle and only snaps if Ruby does not stop invading her space, however she never bites her. So could anyone give me any tips on how to teach her how to stop the problems she has above, methods or anything! We've started using a spray bottle every time she barks at the cat however I don't know if its the best idea. Any suggestions or criticism is welcome! Thankyou!