Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Fungal Nasal Disease

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Geelong, Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Drilling in is one of the only ways to do it. A friends dog had it, she was put to sleep due to quality of life as the treatment had no effect. Personally if it was my dog I would have done the same thing but that is only my opinion and in no way should sway you, listen to your specialist they know best with Aspergillosis. Treating your backyard with fungicide is not a great idea they are very harsh chemicals and really will not make a difference.

    Immune problems can just crop up or it can be the genetic draw of the cards. I know runts that have grown up to become bigger and better then the rest of the litter.

  2. #12

    Default

    Thanks for your honest opinion Nekhbet. I agree, I think your friend did the right thing too.
    We've decided to try the initial treatment once, and if it doesn't work, we will then make a decision whether or not to put her to sleep.
    This is heart breaking for us, as she's only 3 and still looks healthy, and we and the kids love her dearly. In fact, I often refer to her as my baby, as she is the youngest and the most innocent. I have never had a dog with a better temperament.
    However, I will not let her suffer.

    Fingers crossed they are wrong, and the testing proves it's something less menacing.

    I've never heard about this until now, and I'm glad there's someone here who's seen it before, as I was beginning to think I was the only one.

    Fingers crossed for my lovely Lola.

  3. #13

    Default

    Lola came back from the Diagnostic procedure today. She's in the advanced stages of this illness now and we have two options, both are 50-50.

    Before I start on that, story is that the disease (or Fungus) has eaten away pretty much her whole left nasal cavity, through to her sinus and has eaten through to the brain in a very small section.
    Right side is riddled also, and there has been significant deterioration. A mass is visible (which would be the fungus). Apart from a snotty left nostril, you wouldn't even know it just by looking at her. (that's the scarey part)

    Treatment option 1.

    Topical. Involves the drilling I spoke about earlier, and filling the nasal cavities with fungicide. Prob is, that if there is a hole in the bone to the brain (which we believe there is) it will make her fatally ill very quickly (within 12 hrs) If there is a tiny thin layer of bone (still a possibility), it could cure her. Prob 70% of a chance. This option is like tossing a coin.

    Treatment option 2.

    Medicinal. Involves giving her Sporanox. 60% Success rate over a long period of time. She may still get worse before she gets better as it is slow working. 10% of dogs get very sick from it. Again, tossing a coin as far as success is concerned. It does mean she has a better chance to live longer, though if the medication doesn't work, it means poor quality of life.

    This is our decision. Need to be made by next week when the official lab work with the culture arrives, as Doc wont prescribe until she gets that 100% official word.
    Last edited by Lola&Mez; 05-15-2012 at 08:49 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine coast Qld
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Lola&Mez,

    I cant help ypu with any solutions but just want to wish you both well getting to the bottom of this. No likes to see their pet suffering and must be a worry for you..but stay strong.

    How old is your dog, what is her name and what symptoms was she displaying prior to you taking her to the vet? My apologies in advance if you have already answered above.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine coast Qld
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Ok, just read further, her name is Lola and shes 3..lol, sorry,
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

  6. #16

    Default

    Thanks.

    She's 3, her name is Lola and her symptoms were nasal discharge (from one nostril) and sneezing.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine coast Qld
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Thank you, was it a clear runny discharge or a thick infection type?
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

  8. #18

    Default

    It started runny I think, but I didn't really take much notice until it went green. She's got a super wipe tongue so this was hard to keep an eye out for. It wasn't a constant discharge, just there every so often. But the key sign is that it was from one nostril. Initially we treated it as a bacterial infection with anti-biotics, as this was one of the likely causes (fungal disease being very uncommon). Antibiotics seemed to clear it up for a while, but then she started having sneezing fits but her discharge was clear, or as far as I could notice. At this point we looked for the next most logical assumption, and that is something stuck up there. Investigation requires sticking a scope up her nose while under general anesthetic, and my vet flushed and flushed it and did a iodine flush aswell just to kill any infection that may have been there (little did we know). We then xrayed. We saw nothing, and after that we made a call to treat her with anti-inflammatorys and antibiotics and see how we go. She seemed to improve so we continued this for a while longer. In the end, it wasn't going away then I was referred to the specialist. NOW, the diagnostics are very invasive, Lola is still really lethargic from having it done yesterday, and I can see she's feeling just awful, and its cost $2000. But in hindsight, I wish I had done that earlier because this fungus has eaten away at her tubular (the bones in her nasal cavity) to the point where its about as bad as it can be.

    After sleeping on it, we've decided to go with the medication. Prob is its $150 for 9 days worth. I'm trying to find a way to get it cheaper, because this is gonna hurt. Although I did work it out that we can treat her for 90 days for the price it would cost to have the other procedure done. Just hope that it works and if so, it doesn't take much more than 90 days (though it prob will, it has to be long term). But hey, you gotta do what you've gotta do.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine coast Qld
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Thank you for that Lola&Mez, you all have a rough road ahead, big hugs and a box of tissues from me to all of you. Get well soon Lola!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

  10. #20

    Default

    This is heartbreaking to read, but I have learned about something I really had little idea about. Have you got much you could garage sale off, to help with costs? (hugs)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •