Information from the Animal Welfare League on Cane Toad Poisoning in Pets and how to detect & treat it.

You may be surprised to learn that Toads are a common cause of poisoning in dogs. Especially prey driven and curious dogs who like to chase.

Toads exude a milky white toxin from poison glands behind their eyes. They squeeze this poison onto the surface of their skin when they are under threat.

Dogs may be poisoned by oral exposure to many types of toads. This poision can be lethal to young and small dogs if not promptly treated.

Signs of Toad Poisoning
Due to its corrosive and irritant nature, the poison will cause profuse salivation soon after your pet bites the toad. Following this, vomiting often occurs, especially in cats. Cats also show hindquarter weakness and a fixed trance-like stare.

If your dog is poisoned, it will usually suffer from seizures or convulsions. These convulsions are usually fatal unless you seek urgent veterinary attention. The poison can also affect the heart of dogs and cats, causing immediate cardiac arrest.

After it has mouthed a toad, it is vital that you remove all trace of the poison from your pets’ teeth and gums. Using a jet of water from a hose is an effective way of doing this. The water jet should be directed forward out of your pet’s mouth, not down into its throat.

Toads are a nocturnal menace. They regularly poison dogs, such as Terriers, which often chase small animals. To prevent the problem, do not allow your dog to go outside unattended at night

How to Diagnose Toad Poisoning

Your pet may suffer from the following.

drool or mouth irritation
shaking head
vomiting or dry heaves
weakness (or collapsing)
difficulty breathing
blue gums

If your dog has any of these symptoms it is a good idea to flush the mouth with water (away from the back of the throat) and seek veterinary care.
Cane toads and Pets don’t mix | AWLQ