Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: White english staffy with skin problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North QLD
    Posts
    7

    Default White english staffy with skin problems

    My staffy (bella) who is about 14 months has had skin problems almost her whole life. First she had impetigo which was treated with anti-biotics, but came back so we upgraded her food from supercoat to Advance and that seems to have settled it although she still gets the odd pimple.

    Now she has what looks like hives on her hind quarters, she's had it for about a month she had it for a about a week then I went away for two weeks and got back and she still has it. She does itch but not all the time. I plan on upgrading her food to science diet sensitive skin but will wait and see what the vet says.

    I have her booked into the vet on friday, but was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what the outcome was?

  2. #2

    Default

    Supercoat, Advance and Science Diet are NOT good brands of food. They are actually full of grains and fillers which are not good for your dog.

    For a dog with skin issues I would be looking at a Raw diet or at the very least feeding Holistic based dry foods such as Black Hawk, Artemis, Canidae or Eagle Pack. They are made with high quality products, much less grain or no grain and are based on proper meat products.

    Vets push the dry foods they do because they make money from it and the only nutritional training they receive during veterinary school is from the dry food companies.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North QLD
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Not even science diet for sensitive skin? She does get chicken necks/wings (raw) as well. I've not heard of Black Hawk, Artemis, Canidae or Eagle Pack. Are these available at pets stores? Or do you order them online? :/

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eitak View Post
    Not even science diet for sensitive skin? She does get chicken necks/wings (raw) as well. I've not heard of Black Hawk, Artemis, Canidae or Eagle Pack. Are these available at pets stores? Or do you order them online? :/
    Yup even Science Diet for sensitive skin is no good because it still has the same base which is Corn Meal, Corn meal is absolutely terrible for your dog. The first ingredient listed should be a meat product NOT a grain (wheat) or corn meal. Preferrably they will be free from these products all together along with no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives.

    Some pet stores may sell them but generally it is easier to just order it online and have it delivered. Also check their websites as they will list places that stock their food.

    Here is a site that sells Black Hawk
    Black Hawk Holistic Dog - Holistic Biscuits - Products - Natural Paws Holistic Pet Care Perth
    $90 for 20 kgs is a bargain and much cheaper than what you would pay for Science Diet.

    Just google the different brands and you will find heaps of places to buy online at very good prices.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    Yup even Science Diet for sensitive skin is no good because it still has the same base which is Corn Meal, Corn meal is absolutely terrible for your dog. The first ingredient listed should be a meat product NOT a grain (wheat) or corn meal. Preferrably they will be free from these products all together along with no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives.

    Some pet stores may sell them but generally it is easier to just order it online and have it delivered. Also check their websites as they will list places that stock their food.

    Here is a site that sells Black Hawk
    Black Hawk Holistic Dog - Holistic Biscuits - Products - Natural Paws Holistic Pet Care Perth
    $90 for 20 kgs is a bargain and much cheaper than what you would pay for Science Diet.

    Just google the different brands and you will find heaps of places to buy online at very good prices.
    $90 for a 20kg bag thats sooo cheap! I just paid $130.00 for a 15kg bag of the pro plan purina one what ever it is! O_o!

    My Bella (haha also a white staffy...funny ) also has issues sometimes with her skin, I might try this Black Hawk food as well and see how she goes! .... although I will have to try and find a local supplier! Do you know any K&P?

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North QLD
    Posts
    7

    Default

    That is a bargain, I think I paid over $100 for the Advance as well. Thanks for your help I will definitely give it a shot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North QLD
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I just went to the website, they don't mail in the 20kg bags. Might have to keep looking/call up all the pet stores.

    Jadielee - What issues ahve you had with your girl/what have you done to treat it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eitak View Post
    I just went to the website, they don't mail in the 20kg bags. Might have to keep looking/call up all the pet stores.

    Jadielee - What issues ahve you had with your girl/what have you done to treat it?
    She just gets a lot of sores on her face and neck and itches them. Its actually quite scarred looking now and she is missing patches of hair. Its not as bad as welts and constant itching though. I try to feed only chicken and turkey "based" foods because Harley use to get really itchy when he was a pup and scratch constantly when they he was fed beef based food.

    I've only had a really bad one that was about the size of a 10c piece and I just bathed it in salt water.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  9. #9

    Default

    A lot of dogs have reactions to beef, which can be surprising but if you think about it, if they were hunting would your dog be able to bring down a cow? Probably not so they are more likely to eat chicken, turkey, lamb etc.

    Jadie - Sounds like what Bella gets is a Hot Spot, they are pretty common on dogs with skin issues, my Keira gets them to. Just bathing them with antiseptics will work. I use betadine.

    Jadie - Stockists of holistics foods in Brisbane. The only I know of is Nose2Tail Pet Care at Mt Ommaney, they stock Earthborn, Vets All Natural and Artemis. Pets Unleashed in Morningside stock Canidae.
    I think you can only buy Black Hawk online but the other holistic foods are quite cheap as well.
    Check out their websites they will list stockists.

  10. #10

    Default

    I was actually at the vets today for the same reason with my blue and white staffy Alvin... the vet took some skin scrapings of a big lump she had but that turned out not to be related to the welts and lumps (he described them as pimples without the pus which was a perfect way to describe his lumps) My vet said that staffys have always typically got skin problems, and can be anything from allergies to mange to flea dermatitis, normal dermatitis etc..... he said that the alleriges are sometimes airborne so even if you move house or change the environment you cant get rid of them. My other staffies I have had have had skin problems except one of them. he gave me antibiotics for them because he doesnt want to start cortisone treatment as my dog is only 1 year old. Im going back in ten days to check up on his big lump and also the allergies. he recommended fish oil too but only good quality guaranteed stuff. He spoke to me about diet as well and said diet can set their skin problems off and when i told him that i feed my dog good quality fresh meat etc he said sometimes the proteins can build up even from good fresh meat and irritate them. Also he stated that once they have one itchy part that all the other issues (fleas, diet, allergies, mange) can then flare up causing a nightmare of skin problems..... Ill let you know if the anitbiotics work and what happens next, just wanted to share my story with you ....
    Help Alvin and Barkly Save dogs from death row :-) Please take a moment to go and vote for them here http://www.pawclub.com.au/Promotions...ote.aspx?id=14 So they can win and donate some much needed funds to Big Dog Rescue. THANKS AND WOOF!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •