Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: OMG Food That Can Kill!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default OMG Food That Can Kill!!!

    I was just searching around for foods not to give dogs and Im like shocked that everyday food is said to be deadly!!

    Mushrooms, grapes, avocardo's, onions!!

    Ruby Has eating all of these!! Only on the weekend my son was feeding Ruby Saltanas

    WTF!!!

    I also read that some nuts, macadamia's in particular can lead to dog depression! ??
    Last edited by Bulldog_Lover; 07-05-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    Rubylisious


  2. #2

    Default

    I wouldn't freak out. These are only dangerous in large amounts.

    My dogs get the odd grape here and there, the odd bit of onion and are fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Yea, I am the same. These foodstuffs can be bad for dogs who are sensitive to them or eaten in Quantity.

    Chocolate is another one. I had a BCx who got into the kid's easter eggs, ate a heap with no apparent side effects.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moggill, Queensland
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Yeah, the only thing my boyfriend's dog isn't given is cooked bones (because she's a staffy and therefore doesn't know what this "chew" word means). Chocolate is one of her favourites xD Likewise, my dog eats onion and mushrooms in human food leftovers and will eat anything my bird throws out of his cage (all kinds of fruit including graps).

    I wouldn't really worry about it, to be honest =)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Yeah, I wouldn't feed any of those things to my dog, but I wouldn't run screaming to the vet if she ate some, either. In most cases, I think the trauma of induced vomiting would be worse for my dog in particular, than feeling a bit sick (which is what most of those things will do, in small quantities).

    Maggie did polish off half one of those small family blocks of chocolate though, a few weeks ago - but she's fine. I was worried in that case!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    I am a bit like you Allie. Althoguh I did hear a horrific story on a Pug forum once about a Pug that ate an onion and the resulting illness was very serious and almost killed the dog.

    My epi Pug inhales any food that lands anywhere near his mouth and on more than one occassion, he has swallowed a chunk of onion when it slips off the cutting board, before anyone can get it from him. He has never suffered any reaction thankfully.

    Another Pug, Boofy, ate a whole bag of confectionery milk bottles once and was very sick (not in death throes or anything even remotely like that though!). He vomitted everywhere and had a few pains in his stomach for a while.

    The same Pug also ate half a block of milk chocolate once... and between them all they ate a few packets of worming tabs once!
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Dog would have to eat one or more whole onions to be in trouble.

    I do find that a small amount can lead to deadly farts.

    We had an aussie terror who ate about half a football full of truffles and the lid of the football - easter chocolate, and then spent the next couple of hours making brown vomit puddles around the house and yard. I guess she was lucky she chucked it all up.

    My brother thought that none of us would find his chocolate stash under the side board. He didn't consider the four legged family member.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I am a bit like you Allie. Althoguh I did hear a horrific story on a Pug forum once about a Pug that ate an onion and the resulting illness was very serious and almost killed the dog.

    My epi Pug inhales any food that lands anywhere near his mouth and on more than one occassion, he has swallowed a chunk of onion when it slips off the cutting board, before anyone can get it from him. He has never suffered any reaction thankfully.

    Another Pug, Boofy, ate a whole bag of confectionery milk bottles once and was very sick (not in death throes or anything even remotely like that though!). He vomitted everywhere and had a few pains in his stomach for a while.

    The same Pug also ate half a block of milk chocolate once... and between them all they ate a few packets of worming tabs once!

    Pugs are like that hey I remember when Ollie ate an entire bag of kibble in one sitting and had to get his stomach pumped

  9. #9

    Default

    Tessa once managed to get on our kitchen table and eat an entire packet of Choc royals. Well she left the biscuit bottoms and ate Choc and marshmallow. And once while in the car she stole a cherrie ripe and polished that off. No side effects.

    Tessa loves Choc. I dont delibrately give it to her but she always manages to find it if its around.

  10. #10

    Default

    My dogs used to pick grapes off the vines before we cut them down. They only got one of 2 at a time, they were picky about finding ripe ones.

    A few days ago however one of my darling (evil) fur kids stole a bag of choc buttons off the kitchen bench and ate them all.
    Gratuitous amounts of vomiting followed as well as shaking, drooling, pacing... and a $150 vet bill.

    It depends on the individual dog as to what they can tolerate. If it has have been the other 2 that ate the chocolate who knows, they might have been fine, but poor devil dog was a bit worse for wear (he's all better now and all chocolate stored on top shelf in pantry!)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •