Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cracked Pads

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Cracked Pads

    Has anyone's dog had cracks on the pads of their feet before. I noticed Ruby had a few little ones the other day and I have had another look and they are getting worse.

    Can that Be a diet thing or is it a medical thing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Coud be many things... Surfaces, diet, chewing, bacteria. If it gets bad, a vet check is worthwhile.

    That said; try Mushers Wax. It's available through one or two online Suppliers here in Oz (try Online Pet Store for Dog Supplies - Waggle Canine Adventure Gear) and is an absolute godsend for cracked pads resulting from surface wear/ cold, wet weather ect. It's also terrific for grip and traction and for anyone who cannot get their dog to accept dog shoes.

    I won't be without it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Villain & Flirtt View Post
    Coud be many things... Surfaces, diet, chewing, bacteria. If it gets bad, a vet check is worthwhile.

    That said; try Mushers Wax. It's available through one or two online Suppliers here in Oz (try Online Pet Store for Dog Supplies - Waggle Canine Adventure Gear) and is an absolute godsend for cracked pads resulting from surface wear/ cold, wet weather ect. It's also terrific for grip and traction and for anyone who cannot get their dog to accept dog shoes.

    I won't be without it.
    She has her check up next fortnight, but when i seen they were getting worse I wasnt sure if it could be a serious thing. Her nails are a bit flakey too

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,596

    Default

    What do you feed her?

    Flakey nails, could be lack of calcium, or just a bit run down immune system wise. Or could be fungal thing...

    Pads - i reckon if the dog goes from soft surfaces like grass and carpet to long walks on bitumen - it would have an effect. Or if dog spends too much time walking on wet grass and never dries the paws out - but that would be guessing on my part.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    She has a mixed diet, Dry food is Purina super coat wet food is the same Brand.

    She mainly Gets chicken necks, dog mince, mixed vegies, rice and pasta and also the Dog roll which is Aldi Brand.

    She Has a sensitive stomach so It took us many of attempts at finding foods she could keep down.

    The wet grass thing could be it, specially now with all the miserable weather..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,596

    Default

    Horses, sheep and cattle can get a kind of fungal infection in their feet if they are constantly wet. I imagine it would be similar for humans and dogs. You could try some tinea cream on her feet. And make sure she gets some dry feet time. Eg raised bed, dry kennel etc.

    Diet looks good, lots of variety and plenty of calcium (chicken necks). Not sure about the Aldi brand, you'd have to read the list of ingredients. If it starts looking a lot like a weird chemistry lesson, then maybe time to look for something else or make your own - but if it's working for you and your dog, then no need to mess with it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Horses, sheep and cattle can get a kind of fungal infection in their feet if they are constantly wet. I imagine it would be similar for humans and dogs. You could try some tinea cream on her feet. And make sure she gets some dry feet time. Eg raised bed, dry kennel etc.

    Diet looks good, lots of variety and plenty of calcium (chicken necks). Not sure about the Aldi brand, you'd have to read the list of ingredients. If it starts looking a lot like a weird chemistry lesson, then maybe time to look for something else or make your own - but if it's working for you and your dog, then no need to mess with it.
    I will check it out tomorrow, used the last of her roll yesterday so will definitely have a sqizz on shopping day! I will ick up some tinea cream while Im there too Thanks for your help!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,596

    Default

    Note, what I suggest does not replace the advice of a vet...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Note, what I suggest does not replace the advice of a vet...
    As I said, vet appointment next fortnight so Will run it all by her but in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to try a few things out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •