Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: How Do You Get Your Dog to Take Pills?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    I crunch their pills and mix it in with some mince...that way they can not separate it and will happily eat it

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    I can just stick my thumb and fore finger in the sides of their mouth and shove the tablets down the back. Hold the mouth closed and head back and rub the throat to encourage them to swallow.
    I can do it all in one quick motion Then again, I'd be a terrible nurse if I couldn't.
    The food in the treat always works well. Cheese, bread, salami.
    Education not Legislation

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    Oh hell Boh, I did not think of the trachy. Really sorry.
    Hey Di, no worries, it is something that very few dogs have. Ralph is just a little too smart sometimes for his own good. He has learn't how to scare the s@#t out of us by coughing when he shouldn't through the trachy! But he is doing well, most people would not believe that he is on deaths door!

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    I can just stick my thumb and fore finger in the sides of their mouth and shove the tablets down the back. Hold the mouth closed and head back and rub the throat to encourage them to swallow.
    I can do it all in one quick motion Then again, I'd be a terrible nurse if I couldn't.
    The food in the treat always works well. Cheese, bread, salami.
    Hi aussiemyf7, that's where it does get tricky, not being a nurse, he does bluff me a bit at times, but then again, don't think I'm doing too bad, had nursed him through his trachestomy healing and 3 hourly clearances, now down to 3 per day as well as nursing him through sneezing, bleeding and blood clots from the tumour/cancer eating through blood vessels, then needing to sedate him for up to 8 hours to allow the blood to start clotting. I will try the cheese and see how it goes!
    Thanks for your advice.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, australia
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemiannic View Post
    Hi aussiemyf7, that's where it does get tricky, not being a nurse, he does bluff me a bit at times, but then again, don't think I'm doing too bad, had nursed him through his trachestomy healing and 3 hourly clearances, now down to 3 per day as well as nursing him through sneezing, bleeding and blood clots from the tumour/cancer eating through blood vessels, then needing to sedate him for up to 8 hours to allow the blood to start clotting. I will try the cheese and see how it goes!
    Thanks for your advice.
    You poor buggers....you are really under the pump. My thoughts are well and truly with you
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    I would probably choose something that doesn't get too "sticky" in the tracheostomy...cheese and bread can be!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I am going to make you all jealous and say I simply give it to them and they eat it, being the nautral gluttons that they are, or I drop it in their dinner and they eat it without a second glance.

    See, this is why Pugs are the best dogs ever.
    ...hurray for gluttonous (sp) dogs

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shar Pei Rescue Victoria View Post
    You poor buggers....you are really under the pump. My thoughts are well and truly with you
    Hey Shar, Thank you! But we are getting a warm, loving and happy time with Ralph. He is an amazing little fellow! Happy, playful, lots of staffy hugs and kisses!

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemiannic View Post
    Hey Shar, Thank you! But we are getting a warm, loving and happy time with Ralph. He is an amazing little fellow! Happy, playful, lots of staffy hugs and kisses!
    aww glad that Ralphy boy is in happy spirits & still giving out Stafford hugs & kisses

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Floyd View Post
    aww glad that Ralphy boy is in happy spirits & still giving out Stafford hugs & kisses
    He sure is Deb. Still thinks he can do everything! Races around like an idiot at times with his ball in his mouth! It has been a very enlightening experience and Ralph and I have spent so much time together over the last four weeks, even though I'm back at work, I race back home at lunch time and when I get home after work, every minute basically is with the Ralph!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •