Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Jenna's Eaten a Load of Grapes!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default Jenna's Eaten a Load of Grapes!!

    I have just found out Jenna managed to get into a bag of grapes and has eaten about half. I estimating about 300gms worth, going on what is left. She weighs 18.8kgs.She must have eaten them sometime between 9am and 11am this morning.

    I have rung round 3 vets and 2 have told me just to watch her. I am waiting for a call back from the third.

    Does anyone have any experience of their dogs eating grapes. there are some really scary stories on the internet about it. I'm worried sick.

    Right now Jenna seems fine and is showing no symptoms but I will be on tenterhooks for the next 24 hours.

    Keep everything crossed for my greedy guts
    The best things in life, aren't things

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Grapes are (can be) HIGHLY toxic to dogs Tkay and honestly...I would take her to a vet...just my opinion

  3. #3

    Default

    aww Tkay, sorry to hear that Jenna has been a miss piggy & eaten grapes

    I've not had a dog whos eaten grapes. I can offer my opinion tho... take her to her vet, its best to be safe than sorry.

    I do hope that Jenna will be ok tho & not sick from grape toxins etc.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    I had no idea that grapes were bad for dogs until about 5 years ago - I used to give 1 or 2 to Ammy when she was younger and she loved them! Thank dog I only gave her a couple at any time, which was rare anyway.

    I know better now!

    I hope Jenna is okay, Tkay.

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Well, just got back from the vets and they have kept Jenna in to give her intravenous fluids for 48 hours. She still seems fine but I don't want to 'wait and see' as once they start vomiting the damage to the kidneys may already have started. From what i can gather, off the internet, some dogs can eat loads of grapes with no effect but others can die from a relatively small helping.

    It'll be a very quiet house this weekend. I'm going to call first thing in the morning so I will update everyone then.

    Fingers crossed she is one of those dogs who do not suffer any ill effects (except making my wallet considerably lighter)
    The best things in life, aren't things

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Sorry to hear about Jenna TKay. Hope to hear great news from you tomorrow.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    984

    Default

    I would do as the vets said, watch her. As far as I know, it is not known what it is that makes grapes toxic for dogs. And from my experience, I would say it is different with different dogs. Friends of ours have a vineyard and when they harvested their two Kelpies pretty much lived off grapes.... (they didn't know that grapes are toxic). Well, both dogs had no problems at all.

    But yes, I would keep an eye on Jenna.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Just missed your post Tkay

    I cross my fingers that she is one of these dogs that simply enjoyed a yummi (forbidden) treat....

    Let us know how she goes!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Hi Tkay

    I took Frosty to the vet after she'd eaten strapping tape - we were worried that it could block her gut (and require an operation to get out). My vet gave her a "start vomit" injection and after she'd chucked up strapping tape and then a lot of nothing much foamy stuff (it was before meal time), she got a "stop vomit" injection.

    So I would have thought that if it wasn't very long since she ate the stuff - you could get the vet to make her up chuck it.

    Another vet (our local emergency animal hospital) suggested pouring a large amount of salt water down her throat to make her throw up. I thought my chances of succeeding at that were buckleys and none.

    I've also heard of someone feeding their dog ippycac? to make it chuck up but that's what you give children not dogs, so I'm not sure if it's ok for dogs at all.

    Some dogs don't up chuck when given the injection. This would include some iron gut border terriers.

    PS - green unripe grapes make me ill, but ripe sweet ones are ok.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Hi Tkay

    I took Frosty to the vet after she'd eaten strapping tape - we were worried that it could block her gut (and require an operation to get out). My vet gave her a "start vomit" injection and after she'd chucked up strapping tape and then a lot of nothing much foamy stuff (it was before meal time), she got a "stop vomit" injection.

    So I would have thought that if it wasn't very long since she ate the stuff - you could get the vet to make her up chuck it.

    Another vet (our local emergency animal hospital) suggested pouring a large amount of salt water down her throat to make her throw up. I thought my chances of succeeding at that were buckleys and none.

    I've also heard of someone feeding their dog ippycac? to make it chuck up but that's what you give children not dogs, so I'm not sure if it's ok for dogs at all.

    Some dogs don't up chuck when given the injection. This would include some iron gut border terriers.

    PS - green unripe grapes make me ill, but ripe sweet ones are ok.
    Thanks Hyacinth, it was too late to induce vomiting unfortunately.

    I'm quite annoyed actually because I was out all morning and it was my teenage son who rang me at about 11am to tell me about the grapes. I went out at about 8:30 so that gave us a sort of time frame to work by. I immediately rang my usual vet and they were pretty dismissive about the whole thing so I just carried on with the course i was doing.

    I got home about 1:30 and googled Dogs and Grapes. Scared my self half to death and was then really angry about what the vet had said becasue, at that time, inducing vomitting could have been an option but now it was too late. I rang a different vet for their opinion and they also said "Just keep an eye on her, she should be fine. I still wasn't convinced so I rang another vet who seemed to take it more seriously and that is where she is now. I know where I will be taking Jenna in future.
    The best things in life, aren't things

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •