Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: My Dog Got Poisoned by a Toad.

  1. #1

    Default My Dog Got Poisoned by a Toad.

    I got woken up by me dad last night, he said, my dog is acting weird and wobblnig around the place. So I went out to look at her, and sure enough there she was, wobbling about the place, and just looking ill. So I quicklt called the vet, I'm grateful he was awake at 12 at night. SO I took my 14 month old Kelpie to the vet, and the vet got a call from my dad, who said he found a huge toad covered in saliva, covered in it's white posion. So the vet sedated Roxy. Told me to keep her somewhere quite where she wont run around. She has been asleep for about 10 hours now. She's still breathing, and she wake up every now andthen to look at me, then go back to sleep. Is it normal for the dog to still be sedated after 10 hours? Or should I worry that she is still sleeping.
    Ask a Border Collie to jump and it'd say, "how high?", ask a Kelpie and he'll ask, "why?"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dingoofus View Post
    I got woken up by me dad last night, he said, my dog is acting weird and wobblnig around the place. So I went out to look at her, and sure enough there she was, wobbling about the place, and just looking ill. So I quicklt called the vet, I'm grateful he was awake at 12 at night. SO I took my 14 month old Kelpie to the vet, and the vet got a call from my dad, who said he found a huge toad covered in saliva, covered in it's white posion. So the vet sedated Roxy. Told me to keep her somewhere quite where she wont run around. She has been asleep for about 10 hours now. She's still breathing, and she wake up every now andthen to look at me, then go back to sleep. Is it normal for the dog to still be sedated after 10 hours? Or should I worry that she is still sleeping.
    I would say sleeping is good. Helps them to recover. I wouldn't be to concerned unless she isn't rousing from sleep. From what your saying it sounds fine and normal to me.
    Last edited by Huskymum; 12-22-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    1 Siberian Husky Diesel
    1 Belgian Malinois Gypsy
    1 Kitty Porsche

  3. #3

    Default

    cheers for the info. She seems okay now.
    Ask a Border Collie to jump and it'd say, "how high?", ask a Kelpie and he'll ask, "why?"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Thank goodness for that. That must have been a worry for you. My dobe used to play with toads when in Mackay....horrible critters!!!!
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

  5. #5

    Default

    I was so worried I was gonig to lose my little mate. 8( She has had a rough start to life, first severe demadex mange twice, then this. Hundreds of dollars in vet bills. I've come to the conclusion, that all this trouble is happening, and I have to spend a heap of money on her to fix it because she is probably gonig to save my life one day. lol. That's how it works isnt it?
    Ask a Border Collie to jump and it'd say, "how high?", ask a Kelpie and he'll ask, "why?"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moggill, Queensland
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Did anyone actually wipe out her mouth or flush it out? The poison itself is a viscous substance and tends to stick where no one wants it to. If no one has, it's possible she's still being poisoned.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dingoofus View Post
    I was so worried I was gonig to lose my little mate. 8( She has had a rough start to life, first severe demadex mange twice, then this. Hundreds of dollars in vet bills. I've come to the conclusion, that all this trouble is happening, and I have to spend a heap of money on her to fix it because she is probably gonig to save my life one day. lol. That's how it works isnt it?
    Or she is just going to love you for as long as she lives

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvershadowwolf24 View Post
    Did anyone actually wipe out her mouth or flush it out? The poison itself is a viscous substance and tends to stick where no one wants it to. If no one has, it's possible she's still being poisoned.
    Yeh, firt the vet made her regurgitate whatever could be in her stomach for anythnig suspicious, then vet wiped her mouth out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Or she is just going to love you for as long as she lives

    either way I'm happy lol.
    Ask a Border Collie to jump and it'd say, "how high?", ask a Kelpie and he'll ask, "why?"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Poor thing, hope she feels better soon

    www.healthy4paws.com.au
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    98

    Default

    =( poor thing! my dog doesn't gave a rats bum about toads which is good! i'm more worried about our new puppy tho, he wants to play with everything! we haven't had any toads yet, but don't know what to do when they do come around.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •