Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Itchy Dog, looking for alternative remedies

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bendigo Area
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Yikes.

    Erm - you buy the cactus or borrow a few "leaves" from someone else and plant them...

    Cut a "leaf" off, split down the middle (maybe cut off any spikey bits) and wipe the gooey insides over any itchy or sore bits.

    Aloe Vera in large quantities is toxic. You can kind of tell it's bad for you because it tastes HORRID bitter. Even my dog thinks so and she eats grass which I don't like much.

    Please don't feed Aloe Vera to your dog. And Calendula tea is for her outsides too.

    Diet adjustments means finding out what a dog is allergic to, by doing elimination diets.
    Start with most likely eg Gluten, so feed a rice based food or no wheat/oats/rye grains.
    see if that makes a difference (might take a couple of weeks to know)
    then try eliminating stuff like corn
    then try different proteins - this is harder for dry food as a lot of them are very vague about what protein goes in eg "meat meal" will not help if your dog happens to be allergic to the variety that they use. Or they change what they use.
    Hi Hyacinth, thanks for that, no I won't be feeding him aloe vera. Unfortunately where I live, the saying goes "we farm rocks" I can't be bothered trying to grow anything, I will just get some aloe vera gel to rub on him if need be.
    I am thinking I might change to a grain free kibble and see how that goes. His itching is really sporadic, he seems to be itchier in the really hot weather, when he gets in his clam shell pool all the time. The weather has cooled down a bit and his skin seems better, but ..... Trial and error I guess.

    Thanks everyone for the input.

  2. #12

    Default

    Sounds good - 'leec' ! Grain free is a good idea - but again be careful changing too many things at the same time.

    You could also look at going raw:

    Dr Bruces Vets All Natural - Natural Pet Products, Healthy Pets - Home

    Remember - Calendula Tea does help to soothe not cure. You will still need to work out what is causing the itches for your pup.

    But - looking at diet is a really good place to start !

    Looking forward to reading further updates from you !
    smiley-eatdrink004.gif



  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Aloe vera is a cactus / succulent. It quite likes growing in rocks - ones in part shade if you've got any. And the occasional water when you remember eg once a month...

    I only grow stuff that grows itself. I've got a pot of aloe that started as two or three "leaves" stuck in a pot of dirt dug out of the ground, and left in a jungle part of the garden - so it had shade from that 2 week heat wave we had (under the wild parsley), and now after several months of complete neglect it looks like a little forest of Aloe Vera.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bendigo Area
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Aloe vera is a cactus / succulent. It quite likes growing in rocks - ones in part shade if you've got any. And the occasional water when you remember eg once a month...

    I only grow stuff that grows itself. I've got a pot of aloe that started as two or three "leaves" stuck in a pot of dirt dug out of the ground, and left in a jungle part of the garden - so it had shade from that 2 week heat wave we had (under the wild parsley), and now after several months of complete neglect it looks like a little forest of Aloe Vera.
    lol, if only I could actually dig a pot of dirt out of our ground - seriously, we farm rocks But on a serious note, if I ever come across someone growing some, I will grab a leaf and see what I can do.
    Thanks for the help.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bendigo Area
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Sounds good - 'leec' ! Grain free is a good idea - but again be careful changing too many things at the same time.

    You could also look at going raw:

    Dr Bruces Vets All Natural - Natural Pet Products, Healthy Pets - Home

    Remember - Calendula Tea does help to soothe not cure. You will still need to work out what is causing the itches for your pup.

    But - looking at diet is a really good place to start !

    Looking forward to reading further updates from you !
    smiley-eatdrink004.gif


    Thanks RileyJ, I have had a look at that website. The dogs are basically on a 'raw' diet, they just get a little kibble with their dinner, but it is worth looking into.

    I haven't changed anything as yet, just got some calendula tea to try to help with the itchies. I know it's not a cure, but it's always nice to have something on hand to relieve that itch.

    I am almost certain it is a contact allergy because it is so dry and hot. I am hoping that it will be gone by winter, and he is already showing improvement over the past week since it has been a bit cooler.

    Thanks again for the help.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    The ground around here is pretty much solid clay. I find I can dig in it if I attach a dripper to a milk carton or bucket and then fill it up and after about 4 litres of water has dripped into the one spot - I can usually dig a hole.

    Actually you probably just need a very small hole in a 2 litre milk carton to do the same thing. Pin sized.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bendigo Area
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    The ground around here is pretty much solid clay. I find I can dig in it if I attach a dripper to a milk carton or bucket and then fill it up and after about 4 litres of water has dripped into the one spot - I can usually dig a hole.

    Actually you probably just need a very small hole in a 2 litre milk carton to do the same thing. Pin sized.
    Nah, at my place I need a crow bar, lol

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    hmm

    all granite or all limestone?

    The nullabor is like that - the whole area is paved with broken slabs of limestone like concrete. That's the whole ground. If there is a tiny bush or tree or green thing - you can bet it's on top of a cave or sink hole.

    I don't remember Bendigo being quite that bad - if you make a square out of bricks it would be full of dust/dirt by the end of summer...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bendigo Area
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    hmm

    all granite or all limestone?

    The nullabor is like that - the whole area is paved with broken slabs of limestone like concrete. That's the whole ground. If there is a tiny bush or tree or green thing - you can bet it's on top of a cave or sink hole.

    I don't remember Bendigo being quite that bad - if you make a square out of bricks it would be full of dust/dirt by the end of summer...
    I don't know what it is, but its bone dry and we even have trouble growing succulent rock roses in it. We haven't had any 'rain' to speak of for months and have had to buy water, so we really don't want anything we have to keep alive. It'll come good now it's autumn if we get some rain, and for a while it will look greener, but we are in drought again.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Hi Leec

    Back in 2007 - Adelaide was sucking salty mud from the bottom end of the Murray to drink... it was pretty scary tho the Libs seem to forget that we were there and we need the desal plant - even if it's built in the wrong place.

    So I know what dry dry ground feels like.

    When I wash my hands, and shower I save all the water still and use it to flush the toilet or water the garden. I even found ways to get the laundry water outside into the ground.

    We're doing pretty well in Adelaide this summer - 100mls (2") all at once in mid Feb - broke lots of things and some more this week.

    The hole in the milk carton (a 30c dripper is better), works really well to soften up the dirt and deep water the ground. Imagine a pyramid of damp that starts where the drip hits the ground and spreads out under in a big cone / pyramid shape - 2 litres will soften up a lump of dirt about half a bucket size, 4 litres will soften up a whole bucket space... I've had to dig a few holes back in 2007...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •