Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dog was munching on a snail shell

  1. #1

    Default Dog was munching on a snail shell

    I was outside with my dog & she had a snail shell (no snail inside it appears) in her mouth; I tried to get it off her but she kept running away from me. She then starting to chewing on it, I managed to get a lot of it out of her mouth, but it's possible she did swallow some.

    I know that eating snails can be poisonous to them, but what about shells!? I thought about ringing the pet emergency centre, but then thought I might be overreacting
    a bit!?

    If it matters, she's a Shitzu x Maltese x Bishon, almost 5 years old & around 6kg or so..

    Thoughts!?

    Thanks very much!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Geelong, Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    not toxic at all, if you're worried just keep an eye out on her but dogs eat a lot worst on a regular basis

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nekhbet View Post
    not toxic at all, if you're worried just keep an eye out on her but dogs eat a lot worst on a regular basis
    Haha thanks! I thought since a snail had probably been in there it may have left some of it's "slime" behind & that could be bad!?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5

    Default

    My little Cavalier is fond of snails (and geckos and flies if he can catch them). I take them from him if I see him munching away, but can only imagine how many he has eaten out of my sight. Not sure if snails are toxic but Oscar has never suffered any illness from his little snacks.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My Shadow Dog View Post
    My little Cavalier is fond of snails (and geckos and flies if he can catch them). I take them from him if I see him munching away, but can only imagine how many he has eaten out of my sight. Not sure if snails are toxic but Oscar has never suffered any illness from his little snacks.
    Thanks. From what I could find on the net was that Snails themselves could be harmful/poisonous, but couldn't find a whole lot of info on the shells themselves.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bunbury
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Mags ate some as a pup but decided she didn't like them. I mainly worry in case they have been baited.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Geelong, Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    snails themselves are not toxic I fed them to my blue tongues for years! What you worry about is snail bait being ingested or snails can carry rat lung worm but the chance of getting something from a snail is a one in literally a million chance. Your dog has more chance catching something lying on the couch asleep then it does eating a snail

  8. #8

    Default

    Snails are not toxic (unless you use snail bait!) and I remember reading somewhere that dogs eat snails as a form of protein (something they'd do if they were still wild). Still gross though! Dori loves snails and occasionally brings an empty shell to us as a "present"... on the bright side there are less snails in the garden now!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicole0611 View Post
    Snails are not toxic (unless you use snail bait!) and I remember reading somewhere that dogs eat snails as a form of protein (something they'd do if they were still wild). Still gross though! Dori loves snails and occasionally brings an empty shell to us as a "present"... on the bright side there are less snails in the garden now!
    This is not a scientific opinion, but IMO even if a dog did eat a snail that had been baited, the tiny amount of bait that would kill a snail would most likely have zero effect on a dog.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •