Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 116

Thread: Has anyones dog had a vasectomy?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    To be quite honest I think there are so many other factors that lead to health problems in dogs before desexing. We pump our dogs full of chemicals, many of us on a monthly basis. I don't believe desexing increases the risk of anything nor do I believe leaving them does either. It's more a behavioural thing.
    I would tend to agree. There are so many factors including genetics. My first station cattle dog was spayed at 6 months, ate Pal all her life and because in those days it was quite hard to control fleas where I lived until the new products came in I used a cattle spot on that I used on cattle which was the only thing that worked. I had to guess the dose.

    She lived till she was 17 without any health problems at all. She was as tough as they come. With all the dogs I have known it is very hard to see any pattern at all that would cause me concern.

    But Sheena needs to do what makes her feel comfortable or she will forever blame herself if the unthinkable happens.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 09-03-2012 at 07:53 PM.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    bone, prostate and heart cancers

    Ok - I suspect the chance of prostate cancer is reduced if you have his nuts off. This is actually a treatment option for humans who get prostate cancer.

    bone cancer might be increased, and heart cancer - I haven't heard of a dog getting heart cancer - so if it's a almost zero chance of getting that - even if you double it - the chance would still be almost zero.

    But having the nuts off would
    decrease the risk of dog fights
    decrease the risk of being killed by a car while seeking bitches on heat
    decrease the risk of testicular cancer...

    there's pros and cons, and you'd need to do a chart with the risks (for your breed as best you can tell) of each disease and way a dog can die - and see how it adds up.

    Ie if you are opting for a vasectomy - and that reduces the chances of some health problems by 10% but increases other health problems by 20% when a nuts off desex might increase the chance of some heath problems by 5% and decrease other health problems by 30% - this might be why your local vets prefer the nuts off option...

    (not saying those are the actual numbers - you'd want to do your own chart).

    It's a bit like saying I won't wear a seatbelt because some people are saved by not wearing one, and not looking at the squillions more people who are saved by wearing one (including me).

    Or that I will drive to the beach and risk a car accident but I won't go swimming because I might get eaten by a shark...

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Ok - I suspect the chance of prostate cancer is reduced if you have his nuts off. This is actually a treatment option for humans who get prostate cancer.
    Testosterone reduces the risk of prostate cancer in dogs, unlike in humans where it increases the chance

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Sheena I think that Hya has a point. If the risk is 1% of a dog having a certain disease and the risk is trebled, then the risk is still small. The risk of meeting a sticky end under the wheels of a car if a visitor leaves a gate open and there is a bitch on heat somewhere could be much higher.

    I would sit down and do the sums and once it is written down it becomes clearer. Also look at a number of studies and check out how they were designed. Look at both sides of the research, not just one study that frightens you.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 09-04-2012 at 04:41 PM.

  5. #55

    Default

    it is a bit hard to get testicular cancer if you do not have any testicles to get cancer in the first place, i could be wrong.

    Found this article on Vasectomy in Dogs it discusses both option briefly and is written by a vet Tubal ligations and vasectomies for dogs? | petMD
    "Moreover, when we know that all dogs are best served fully spayed and neutered at some point (once they’re old enough to suffer a higher risk of reproductive diseases prevented by spays and neuters), it seems kind of wrong to force a pet to undergo two surgeries instead of just one.

    In other words, pets vasectomized or receiving tubal ligations early on to prevent reproduction will also need a spay or neuter later on to prevent disease––with all the risks that entails (spays done later in life are much bigger procedures than when they’re done early)."

    seeing as you guys were on the topic of diseases, i thought i might throw that in there.

    Personally i think you either keep them intact or get them neutered, i do not see the point of sitting on the fence/in the grey patch and risking your dog getting testicular cancer or having prostate issues, but i would ask vets why they do not want to do the procedure, they may be able to shed some light on the risks that may be involved with the procedure and also any risks that are involved with neutering.

    Once you have spoken to the vets i would do what people above have suggested and write down a list of the pros and cons of each option and weigh up the options. What you do is up to you, but you really should get some vets opinions, not just one but a few as no doubt each one will something else to say and a different opinion on the risks involved.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grevillea47 View Post
    That's a bit of a broad brush statement spiderwick. What evidence do you have that this is the 'class of breeder that seems to be in charge these days'?
    well, i dont want to name names, or i'll probly get in trouble.
    but this person is current president of there club.....

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    To be quite honest I think there are so many other factors that lead to health problems in dogs before desexing. We pump our dogs full of chemicals, many of us on a monthly basis. I don't believe desexing increases the risk of anything nor do I believe leaving them does either. It's more a behavioural thing.
    aggreed.
    desexing is a quick fix to behaviour problems they are told WILL happen unless they desex.
    everyones quick to jump on the desexing waggon without thinking.
    honestly i'd prefer a dog intact, because its a dog. not something that was modified for convenience because someone told me too.
    and honestly, most people Spin a heap of BS just to get you to desex when they have no clue either way.
    In life you can read all you like, but you will never know the truth untill you seen it for yourself.
    only way to learn anything about dogs is to see it, no one can just give you understanding about anything, you can read all the books in the world, but you will never understand what was seen first hand.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spiderwick View Post
    aggreed.
    desexing is a quick fix to behaviour problems they are told WILL happen unless they desex.
    everyones quick to jump on the desexing waggon without thinking.
    honestly i'd prefer a dog intact, because its a dog. not something that was modified for convenience because someone told me too.
    and honestly, most people Spin a heap of BS just to get you to desex when they have no clue either way.
    In life you can read all you like, but you will never know the truth untill you seen it for yourself.
    only way to learn anything about dogs is to see it, no one can just give you understanding about anything, you can read all the books in the world, but you will never understand what was seen first hand.
    Well from what I have "seen" I will never own an entire dog again unless I decide to go into the world of breeding which I find highly unlikely.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spiderwick View Post
    aggreed.
    desexing is a quick fix to behaviour problems they are told WILL happen unless they desex.
    everyones quick to jump on the desexing waggon without thinking.
    honestly i'd prefer a dog intact, because its a dog. not something that was modified for convenience because someone told me too.
    and honestly, most people Spin a heap of BS just to get you to desex when they have no clue either way.
    In life you can read all you like, but you will never know the truth untill you seen it for yourself.
    only way to learn anything about dogs is to see it, no one can just give you understanding about anything, you can read all the books in the world, but you will never understand what was seen first hand.
    Yes I make my decisions based on 40 plus years of owning dogs. The only 2 dogs we have lost or nearly lost young have been entire dogs. One killed aftyer it escaped going after a bitch on heat and one had an emergency spay after I nearly lost her to pyometra. Another entire bitch had continuous phantom pregnancies untill sterilisation set her free and an ex breeding bitch we rescued at age 7 got breast cancer.

    My sterilised dogs have all been healthy, happy and long lived and definitely not modified versions of anything. Full of life, character, good working dogs and free from reproductive hassles, frustrations and urges that they would never be allowed to fullfil or potentially die trying to. All my males and females being able to run free together year round, just enjoying being dogs without having to lock them up and separate them from each other. Oh and where I live - no wild dogs coming into to steal my bitches and kill my boys.

    I have also done a stint working in rescue and it broke my heart to see the flood of dogs and puppies dumped from random accidental breedings. So many were euthanaised. I remember some years ago 11 puppies were discovered tied in a sack and floating in the local river. All were dead. I was shocked that someone could do that. Why not just sterilise your dog. If you can mange an entire dog fine. But in reality the majority of dogs are better off sterilised. Some bitches are also dumped when they get into trouble during pregnancy and the owners cant afford the vet fees.

    Yes I understand a lot from first hand experience. My experiences just differ from yours obviously. Different experiences have shaped each of our opinions.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 09-05-2012 at 11:12 AM.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    spiderwick

    I think you should take a look in the mirror before accusing anyone else of having no clue about the pros and cons of desexing dogs.

    honestly i'd prefer a dog intact, because its a dog. not something that was modified for convenience because someone told me too
    All dogs are modified for living with humans - they are not wild creatures - they're domestic. If they're not modified for our convenience - and desexing is just one way - they aren't a lot of fun to have around the home. Just the fleas and crap alone would put me off.

    and honestly, most people Spin a heap of BS just to get you to desex when they have no clue either way.
    Most people? These would be vets, and people who work in dog shelters, breeders, vet scientists and animal behavour scientists. Yup they don't have a clue what they're talking about and you do?

    In life you can read all you like, but you will never know the truth untill you seen it for yourself.
    only way to learn anything about dogs is to see it, no one can just give you understanding about anything, you can read all the books in the world, but you will never understand what was seen first hand.
    This is about as valid as suggesting you ought to try jumping off a cliff because you don't know what will happen unless you try it for yourself. One person's experience is "anecdote" not evidence. Just because something happens to one dog or one person - does not make it true for all dogs or all people.

    But my experience with your posts on the subject of desexing is pretty consistent. Does that mean everything you say is flawed? Probably not.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •