I've decided to start Milo, now 9 month old kelpie, on a raw diet since his Advance Puppy Growth kibble is running out. I've done quite a bit of research on raw diet, and yes, I have read through existing threads about raw diet on this forum. I just wanted to get some things straight so I'm sure I have my facts right before starting him on the diet (estimated in 4 days time that the kibble will be finished).
1. Start him cold turkey on the diet
2. Feed 2-3% of adult weight (his father weighs 16kg, so I should be feeding Milo about 400g a day)
3. Feed one protein source (I've chose chicken) for about 3 weeks with no variety (no organs, other meats)
4. Slowly introduce other meat types after the 3 week period
5. Fish (mackeral, tuna, etc.) and eggs should only be fed maximum once a week
6. Freeze meats for at least 24 hours before feeding to kill any potential parasites
This is what I can think of at the top of my head right now... am I missing any other important things?
I have bought a whole chicken today and asked the butcher to get it into quarters for me. I would like to see his response after 2 days, and if it looks like he won't be picky, then I'll buy more chicken.
This is what his diet is like now:
Every day in the morning he gets either 1/4 chicken carcass or 1/2 Advanced Puppy Growth kibble.
On the days he has the kibble, he gets a Pedigree denta stix after dinner.
For dinner he would get 1-1.5 cups of Advanced Puppy Growth kibble AND one of the following:
- cooked white rice with cooked meat from soup (often)
- half a can of Advanced Puppy Growth wet food (probably once a fortnight)
- a tin of tuna in spring water (after a day of lots of exercise, but max. once a week)
- a cracked egg (probably once a month)
Every day when I train him, I normally just use the kibble as treats, and normally I use up 1/4 cup in training.
He has a somewhat shiny coat with white teeth. But, he has a heavy dog odour even straight after a bath (bathed fortnightly) and releases stink bombs. When I first got him as a 10 week old, he did zoomies quite often. Now, it happens very little, but still does occur every now and then. He would get runny poo about twice a week. Compared to other puppies he has met, Milo is rather calm (I think it's his tempament), but is full of energy when it comes to chasing games with other dogs, fetch, etc. He isn't a dog that lacks energy so I don't think I will see the "change in liveliness" claimed from raw diet feeders.
Questions I'd like to ask:
1. He normally gets 2 meals (a small breakfast and bigger dinner). If I feed him 1/4 of a chicken, it weighs about 375g. That's the same about he needs to be fed daily. How do I continue feeding twice daily? Would feeding 1/4 chicken carcass in the morning exceed how much he needs to eat?
2. Can I feed the same organs (e.g. always liver) or do I need to vary the organ too?
3. Do I need to remove fat or can I give it as it was from the butcher? (After frozen and then thawed before feeding)
I might come up with more... But got a mind blank!