Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Messing with My Head....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default Messing with My Head....

    I keep saying to myself...practice as you preach...practice as you preach....

    I am sure Ruby is playing with my head!

    They get fed raw meat/mince with their vegies...supplements...natural yoghurt, vitamins, Omega Oil for dogs etc and what does she do...look at me like..."what is THAT garbage you are giving me?!?".

    She will eat her chicken necks alright...just not the stuff that has her vitamins etc in it...sigh

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Lol. Yeah it happens sometimes whatever you are feeding them!

    Ruby is off her food from the phamtom though, isn't she?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Lol. Yeah it happens sometimes whatever you are feeding them!

    Ruby is off her food from the phamtom though, isn't she?
    don't know...the little #$%&

    I can see she is losing weight and is getting quite slim. Look, I could understand if I was giving her the same kibble over and over again she would give me that....."I am starving and what is THAT" look. I told her this morning...most dogs would KILL to have that meal and she turned her nose away from it............*mumbling under her breath*

    What can you do? If I give in and feed for chicken necks all the time, she will never learn to eat what I give her....and if I don't get food into her....she will look too skinny....sigh!

    Yep...she is definitely messing with my head!

    Hurray for Sumo...he just eats what I give him

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Aw poor Ruby, Has she always been that way or just recently?

    I hope she is back to eating all those goodies soon. (sounds like she has a healthier diet then I do lol)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post
    Aw poor Ruby, Has she always been that way or just recently?

    I hope she is back to eating all those goodies soon. (sounds like she has a healthier diet then I do lol)
    She has done this before when she was younger, so I guess she always will have that "I don't want to and you can't make me" kinda attittude

    A healthy dog will not starve itself....keep telling myself that!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    She has done this before when she was younger, so I guess she always will have that "I don't want to and you can't make me" kinda attittude

    A healthy dog will not starve itself....keep telling myself that!
    That sentence is one I've seen debated for decades unfortunately. I have seen dogs starve themselves down to a basic skeleton. They started by not eating, then refused all food until the stage they really weren't capable of eating.

    It's a bit of a catch 22 situation IMO. Ruby is medically okay?

    I've had dogs who will eat themselves silly no matter what they've been fed, and I've had dogs that will refuse food until they look chronically ill. It's a hard one.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    That sentence is one I've seen debated for decades unfortunately. I have seen dogs starve themselves down to a basic skeleton. They started by not eating, then refused all food until the stage they really weren't capable of eating.

    It's a bit of a catch 22 situation IMO. Ruby is medically okay?

    I've had dogs who will eat themselves silly no matter what they've been fed, and I've had dogs that will refuse food until they look chronically ill. It's a hard one.
    it is a very hard one indeed

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Victoria
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I went through this once under a vets supervision... dog was soooooooo fussy... vet was saying "no dog ever starved with fresh food in the bowl" but I went for two weeks once before I had to cave in. When the dog went to other people though she would eat apparently. She obviously knew I would give in eventually. The vet was into behaviour etc in a big way too and eventually she seemed to give up on this case too; so I agree it can be real tough. On teh other hand I have seen a dog stick at it for a day or two then decide Buggerit I'm too hungry... and all of a sudden they are eating again.

    I wonder, what would haoppen if you fed her nothing for a day or two, like she had no choice at all? Then offered the usual?
    Topdog collars (formerly Soverencraft.)
    www.soverencraft.com
    info@soverencraft.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    I symathise Clea, I really do. I am trying to feed Mya well and hopefully put more weight on her and want to feed her a good raw diet (she won't eat kibble anyway) but she is not all that keen on alot of raw. The only raw meat she has really enjoyed so far has been a lamb offcut but even that she wouldn't touch until I had cut it up into bit sizes. Stoopid dog. If I cook other meat she will eat it but I know it's not as good for them as raw.

    I bought some of the Dr Billinghurst barf patties (cheating I know ), she turned her nose up at that, mind you even Jenna struggled to eat it and she will usually eat anything.

    The 2 things I have found she loves is Sardines, which is great, and Nature's gift wet food, not so great. I really wanted to avoid commercial food but I guess, especially at the moment, if she'll eat it I'll give it. At least it is one of the better tinned foods.

    As is often said on here, whatever works for you and your dog. If they will not eat an exclusive raw diet I don't think it is the end of the world. Lots of dogs live on a commercial diet and if Ruby is getting at least some raw in her diet then that is better than nothing. Don't beat yourself up if you have to go back to some commercial food.
    The best things in life, aren't things

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soverencraft View Post
    I went through this once under a vets supervision... dog was soooooooo fussy... vet was saying "no dog ever starved with fresh food in the bowl" but I went for two weeks once before I had to cave in. When the dog went to other people though she would eat apparently. She obviously knew I would give in eventually. The vet was into behaviour etc in a big way too and eventually she seemed to give up on this case too; so I agree it can be real tough. On teh other hand I have seen a dog stick at it for a day or two then decide Buggerit I'm too hungry... and all of a sudden they are eating again.

    I wonder, what would haoppen if you fed her nothing for a day or two, like she had no choice at all? Then offered the usual?
    I think that is an excellent suggestion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •