Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Raw diet versus kibble

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Flagstaff Hill, SA
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Zulu took about 30-45mins to eat the chicken wings

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robbiepapenfus View Post
    Zulu took about 30-45mins to eat the chicken wings
    And I thought that my Border collie was a slow eater!

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalacreek View Post
    My first dog got the same. At that time Pal meaty bites and canned Pal was the most expensive supermarket food so that is what she got along with Chum and marrow bones. I thought she was on the best diet. She lived till she was nearly 17 and cost me less in vet fees than any dog I have owned since LOL.
    Back in the day(talking some 15 years ago), our sheepdogs lived on pal/pedigree/whatever dry food, with the occasional rabbit or wallaby that we got when we went shooting. Not one of them ever saw a vet and they lived long lives and at time worked very hard. I don't advocate this as being a good thing, just saying that at times we really over-do things

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    Back in the day(talking some 15 years ago), our sheepdogs lived on pal/pedigree/whatever dry food, with the occasional rabbit or wallaby that we got when we went shooting. Not one of them ever saw a vet and they lived long lives and at time worked very hard. I don't advocate this as being a good thing, just saying that at times we really over-do things
    You will find that this still applies to working dogs today. Our local Agribusiness stocks large bulk bags of Pedigree and Bonnie. I would say the exercise and the lifestyle goes a long way to the reason these dogs are so fit and healthy along with their genetics which have to be pretty tough and sound. My first dog was from station genetics and she was one tough indestructible little dog.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Flagstaff Hill, SA
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    Feeding a young pup raw is imo dangerous unless you really research it properly. Not getting enough calcium for example can lead to serious bone structural issues later = pts. I'd stick to kibble with some raw meat occassionly. Mine gets his kibble and 250g of human grade beef mince or a lamb shank ... then some days he just gets his kibble
    Not sure if you had heard of Vets All Natural Complete Mix? You basiclly add it to your puppy/dogs raw diet meals, such as mince etc. It contains everything your dog needs and its natural.

    Quite a few people who use raw diets for their animals recommend it, check it out:

    Vets All Natural Complete Mix Puppy 1kg | PREMIUM FOOD | DOG | Categories | PETstock Site

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,583

    Default

    45 mins to eat chicken wings?

    It takes Frosty a while to decide they're food, but once she does - they're lucky to last 10 seconds. Maybe 2 minutes tops. Even frozen.

    I had a friend who has several Tenterfield terriers... she gives them those pig trotter slices and I was there helping her with the computer while they munched on those for over an hour. I was impressed they lasted so long, so she gave me a trotter slice for evil hound.

    And it took evil hound less than a minute to make the whole thing disappear. So not the food but the dog. Sigh.

    PS - we've never heard of vets all natural (said with much sarcasm).
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vets+all+n...ogforum.com.au

    some of us use it and some of us don't.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 04-04-2014 at 02:00 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Geelong, Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    I prefer a raw diet ... and have you tried daily pick ups after 6 dogs with commercial diet poos *yeeech*. Mine don't cost me anywhere NEAR as much as some people because I dont go purchasing tiny overpriced quantities. 4 Malinois a pug and a frenchy maybe cost me about $60 a week to feed on the higher end of the scale. I can also control the fat and protein content depending on the dogs needs which makes it a lot easier. Sparkling white teeth all round too
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Mali_nut/K9LOGO.jpg

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Flagstaff Hill, SA
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    45 mins to eat chicken wings?

    It takes Frosty a while to decide they're food, but once she does - they're lucky to last 10 seconds. Maybe 2 minutes tops. Even frozen.

    I had a friend who has several Tenterfield terriers... she gives them those pig trotter slices and I was there helping her with the computer while they munched on those for over an hour. I was impressed they lasted so long, so she gave me a trotter slice for evil hound.

    And it took evil hound less than a minute to make the whole thing disappear. So not the food but the dog. Sigh.

    PS - we've never heard of vets all natural (said with much sarcasm).
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vets+all+n...ogforum.com.au

    some of us use it and some of us don't.
    Well my pup is only 9 weeks old and he's eating a 110g wing, which is 2% of his body weight' in one serving, a bit much, but 30-45mins to get through that chewy piece of chicken isn't that long is it? But who cares.. The longer he takes the better.

    The reason I asked you guys about All vets natural was due to someone raising concerns about calcium intake.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,583

    Default

    The longer he takes the better
    I agree.

    It's really difficult now to find things that take Frosty a while to eat. She's not much for savouring her food. Frozen food in kong does fairly well. Mostly because the taste of it sticks to the kong for a while.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •