Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 195

Thread: A Question for Clubsprint

  1. #161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricey View Post
    OMG, 12 pages and its still going on!

    The original questions were for clubsprint, and were based on the statistical evidence that pit bulls were only responsible for a small number of dog bite deaths in australia.

    CS cited this article published in the Calgary Sun as evidence that pit bulls were a problem there

    Biting criticism of dog owners | Columnists | Opinion | Calgary Sun

    Howabout we review the stats?

    Total Calgary dog bites in 2010- 158 (includes 56 bites which did not puncture the skin)
    Dog bites which punctured the skin- 102

    As pit bulls were responsible for half ot the total number of teething bites by terriers, this means that 13 of the 102 teething bites were by pit bulls.

    That is 13% of the teething bites.

    This is far smaller than than the working dogs or the herding dogs.

    But realistically, to put this all into perspective, Calgary is a city of 1,350,000 people. It has a population that is significantly larger than that of Adelaide, South Australia (to put this in an Australian context). If Adelaide managed to get its annual teething dog bites down anywhere near Calgary's 102, I think we would all think that Adelaide's problem was solved.

    I'm a bit annoyed with myself that I spent all this time typing this response; I can't see that there is much chance of CS changing his/her mind about pit bulls, so I think we should all stop wasting our time. Our time would be better spent actually doing concrete things that will benefit the targeted breeds in Australia.

    Calgary remains a shining example of workable legislation and policy regarding dogs and dog bite reduction, and we should all make the effort to lobby our politicians, local councils etc to try to get similar legislation and policy in Australia. BSL is a failed policy.

    ricey
    "A new pet owner bylaw was brought in three years ago that included stiffer fines and a recognition that aggressive behaviour in dogs is normally traced back to irresponsible owners."
    "We want to look at everything that led up to an aggressive dog attack,"
    "An aggressive dog can lead to an entire block losing mail service until the animal is brought under control."
    That all looks after the fact to me. Was, brought, led, look at the tense of these words. Also note the word "normally"

    Now if the breed or type of dog is banned altogether, it doesn't exist to cause the incident. That's proactive.

    Let's see what's going on in Calgary "After years with Labrador retrievers at the top of Calgary's most-likely to bite list, pitbull and pitbull-type terriers have suddenly taken a dubious lead, passing both shepherds and retrievers."
    In Calgary? No!
    Article Biting criticism of dog owners | Columnists | Opinion | Calgary Sun Lets see what else we can find in Calgary about Pitbulls.
    What does an actual Calgary resident think?Calgary Pit Bull Attacks
    Lastly this link Pitbull Attacks, Maulings, and Killings
    Bill Bruce.....tch......

  2. #162
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bayswater, Western Australia
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clubsprint View Post
    "A new pet owner bylaw was brought in three years ago that included stiffer fines and a recognition that aggressive behaviour in dogs is normally traced back to irresponsible owners."
    "We want to look at everything that led up to an aggressive dog attack,"
    "An aggressive dog can lead to an entire block losing mail service until the animal is brought under control."
    That all looks after the fact to me. Was, brought, led, look at the tense of these words. Also note the word "normally"

    Now if the breed or type of dog is banned altogether, it doesn't exist to cause the incident. That's proactive.

    Let's see what's going on in Calgary "After years with Labrador retrievers at the top of Calgary's most-likely to bite list, pitbull and pitbull-type terriers have suddenly taken a dubious lead, passing both shepherds and retrievers."
    In Calgary? No!
    Article Biting criticism of dog owners | Columnists | Opinion | Calgary Sun Lets see what else we can find in Calgary about Pitbulls.
    What does an actual Calgary resident think?Calgary Pit Bull Attacks
    Lastly this link Pitbull Attacks, Maulings, and Killings
    Bill Bruce.....tch......
    Haha!

    Now Clubsprint, you don't know me, and I don't know you, but I do know enough about you to realise that you like to selectively quote things out of context. Also, you do really seem to enjoy stirring the pot.

    Keep it up!

    You are keeping me amused.

    Cheers,

    ricey

  3. #163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chipps View Post
    Look out CS.......This should start a new breed specific war here.....


    I know one that's a little short in the braincell department and must be the slowest, dumbest animal I ever met....

    He is papered with ancestry back to Noah's Ark or something............(Yeah yeah, I know they only became a true breed post WW2.....)

    He's a lovely cuddly wuppy woo and all that fluffy kinda doggy woggy stuff........

    But honestly......Will sit there looking at the sky with his goofy eyes while a thousand of cats, rats and mice could walk past laughing at him







    Should I post this?.....
    cav's are good family dogs but I don't know about the best.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Now if the breed or type of dog is banned altogether, it doesn't exist to cause the incident. That's proactive.
    But the reason for the existance of the type of dog doesn't go away, so the people that want that kind of dog will just make a new breed/type to meet their needs. And the incidents will continue to happen. They will get killer attack kangaroos if you ban all dogs.

  5. #165

  6. #166
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bayswater, Western Australia
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    But the reason for the existance of the type of dog doesn't go away, so the people that want that kind of dog will just make a new breed/type to meet their needs. And the incidents will continue to happen. They will get killer attack kangaroos if you ban all dogs.
    Stuff that!

    You want a dog that will intimidate folk?

    Why not get a Hyaena?

    Stop messing about with those woose bag pit bulls, get a real threat!



    ricey

    p.s. I know a bloke who sells hyaenas out of the back bar of the Kelmscott Hotel; just go there, ask to speak to Mongo and tell him ricey sent you (that's Mongo in the photo; he is a champion bloke and he really loves his hyaenas). Anyway, if you talk nicely to him you'll be sweet, and you'll get your own pedigree hyaena (either spotted or striped, whichever you prefer) for the bargain price of only $10,000 AUD.
    Last edited by ricey; 09-28-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: edited for emphasis

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricey View Post
    Stuff that!

    You want a dog that will intimidate folk?

    Why not get a Hyaena?

    Stop messing about with those woose bag pit bulls, get a real threat!



    ricey

    p.s. I know a bloke who sells hyaenas out of the back bar of the Kelmscott Hotel; just go there, ask to speak to Mongo and tell him ricey sent you (that's Mongo in the photo; he is a champion bloke and he really loves his hyaenas). Anyway, if you talk nicely to him you'll be sweet, and you'll get your own pedigree hyaena (either spotted or striped, whichever you prefer) for the bargain price of only $10,000 AUD.
    *yawns* this has been discussed in another thread... or possibly even this one with this picture plus many more of the same group/tribe posted with it...

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bayswater, Western Australia
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadielee87 View Post
    *yawns* this has been discussed in another thread... or possibly even this one with this picture plus many more of the same group/tribe posted with it...
    Well, I was joking......

    Surely you should have picked that up?

    ricey

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    *gasps* no never.... I was born without a sense of humor.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  10. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadielee87 View Post
    *yawns* this has been discussed in another thread... or possibly even this one with this picture plus many more of the same group/tribe posted with it...


    *Yawns* This whole discussion has happened 3 times in previous threads and this thread....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •