Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 373

Thread: OMG my next door neighbor has bought a red nosed pit bull!!!!

  1. #291
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bayswater, Western Australia
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Hi all,

    As Beloz has said, the NSW statistics on dog attacks are a little short on detail. With the exception of the poorly defined 'under control' details, there is not any detail about the circumstances surrounding the attacks. Without knowing the individual circumstances, the NSW dog attack stats become meaningless lists.

    Even such basic information as whether the dog was tied to a point, or whether the dog was guarding puppies, or even if the dog was in someway provoked are totally ignored by these sorts of lists. If I was going to be cynical about the NSW reports, I'd suggest that the stats are being kept in such a way to give support to and justify government policies. If I owned a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in NSW (as 1 in 20 dog owners do) I'd be very concerned right now, as these stats are painting the government into a corner.

    regards,

    ricey
    The APBT is the best of the best dogs (but it is just a dog, like any other breed of dog)

    My avatar? It's a pit bull in a poodle suit (a bit like me really)

  2. #292
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    The latest annual report actually claims that its restricted breed policy is a success because attacks by restricted breeds went down. From - wait for it - 1% to 0.6 or something like that. Any statistician knows that figures like that don't give you enough to work with.

  3. #293
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bayswater, Western Australia
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    The latest annual report actually claims that its restricted breed policy is a success because attacks by restricted breeds went down. From - wait for it - 1% to 0.6 or something like that. Any statistician knows that figures like that don't give you enough to work with.
    too true!

    The NSW stats also state:

    Table 8 shows that the number of dog attacks in 2010/11 was 5,140. The total number of attacks represented a 17% increase on the 4,381 reported in 2009/10.
    Oh yeah, the breed specific legislation is doing such a fine job of reducing dog attacks (not). Now, a 17% increase looks like a huge increase in the number of dog attacks, and possibly it is. If so, then the NSW government needs to come up with a better strategy for reducing dog attacks. However, perhaps it could be due to more rigorous reporting; who knows? As usual, we are not given the detail.

    The government 'mushroom farming' policy of spin, I am sure.

    Cheers,

    ricey
    The APBT is the best of the best dogs (but it is just a dog, like any other breed of dog)

    My avatar? It's a pit bull in a poodle suit (a bit like me really)

  4. #294
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    809

    Default

    I take no notice of Statistics as they prove nothing according to NSW stats, GSD's were responsible for 68 attacks but what they don't tell you is the fact that there are over 37,500 registered GSD's not to mention crosses of this breed.

    Our local newspaper ran a front page story which claimed "Blacktown has the most Dangerous Dogs in NSW" 85 people were bitten by Dogs.
    What the local rag didn't tell people was that there are 57,097 dogs registered not to mention about 25,000 unregistered dogs (could be more ) so that means 85 people were bitten out of a population of more than 82,097 dogs which is far less than 1% not worth a mention but that's the Media for you and so much for BSL too.
    Chloe & Zorro
    Rottweilers and German Shepherds are Family

  5. #295
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bayswater, Western Australia
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    I take no notice of Statistics as they prove nothing according to NSW stats, GSD's were responsible for 68 attacks but what they don't tell you is the fact that there are over 37,500 registered GSD's not to mention crosses of this breed.

    Our local newspaper ran a front page story which claimed "Blacktown has the most Dangerous Dogs in NSW" 85 people were bitten by Dogs.
    What the local rag didn't tell people was that there are 57,097 dogs registered not to mention about 25,000 unregistered dogs (could be more ) so that means 85 people were bitten out of a population of more than 82,097 dogs which is far less than 1% not worth a mention but that's the Media for you and so much for BSL too.
    But isn't that the whole sad thing about this? So many million dogs in Australia, and so few dog bites. I drive to work most days as most of us do, and this is the most dangerous part of my day. I am far more likely to get killed by a lightning strike than I am to get killed by a dog. Bee stings, shark attacks and bush fires are far more likely to kill me. Alcoholic poisoning, opiate overdose and being gored by a cow or bitten by a blue ring octopus are much more likely to get me to shuffle off this mortal coil.

    Dogs are the least of my worries.

    ricey
    Last edited by ricey; 01-01-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spellink LOL!
    The APBT is the best of the best dogs (but it is just a dog, like any other breed of dog)

    My avatar? It's a pit bull in a poodle suit (a bit like me really)

  6. #296
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    The annual reports do actually mention how many of that breed are registered and translates that into a percentage.

    I don't worry about dog bites either but a serious dog attack can be quite traumatic, especially for people who are not used to dogs. Not to mention that it results in the dogs being pts or having their freedom significantly reduced.

    It's not because driving is more dangerous that you should be blase about any other risk.

    But the response from government is short sighted and often inefficient. We need more education too. Obviously lots of dog owners don't have a clue and either need training or should simply not be allowed to own a dog And with that many dogs amongst us it is not too much to ask for everyone to learn some of the basics like how to interpret body language and approach a strange dog. Few things annoy me more than parents who allow their kids to completely freak out at the mere sight of a nearby dog too. And those who will let their kids approach strange dogs in a dangerous manner too. My dog is OK with it but I often lecture kids who come pat her about the safe way to approach dogs if they want to prevent getting bitten. It's all as basic as teaching your kids how to cross a road. Because dogs are here to stay.

  7. #297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    Obviously lots of dog owners don't have a clue and either need training or should simply not be allowed to own a dog
    And that is the crux of the matter. Because when we compare the clueless owner of a cocker spaniel and a clueless owner of an APBT, which of the two scenarios has the greater potential for disaster?

  8. #298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    And that is the crux of the matter. Because when we compare the clueless owner of a cocker spaniel and a clueless owner of an APBT, which of the two scenarios has the greater potential for disaster?
    What about when the clueless owner of teh cocker spaniel lets their cocker harrass a rottweiler .. that rottweiler is a fantastic dog, great with people and dogs but ends up reacting to the cocker spaniel and there are no witnesses? It's far past time that the govt made laws which focus soley on the owner and forces owners to complete a dog ownership course and dog obedience classes. Me, i've never been to a dog obedience class and never really want to, but if me being forced to put my dog through obedience classes resulted in no stupid little yappy fluffballs harrassing my dog i'd comply! What's your thoughts on that sort of approach Mosh?

    ETA : I would like to see an option that people who think they're competent to train their dog themselves can not attend obedience classes but have their dog's obedience and temperament tested at a certain age, but either way, it's a much better solution to what we have now, which is clearly proven not to work!
    Last edited by mymatejack; 01-05-2013 at 07:54 PM.

  9. #299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    What about when the clueless owner of teh cocker spaniel lets their cocker harrass a rottweiler .. that rottweiler is a fantastic dog, great with people and dogs but ends up reacting to the cocker spaniel and there are no witnesses? It's far past time that the govt made laws which focus soley on the owner and forces owners to complete a dog ownership course and dog obedience classes. Me, i've never been to a dog obedience class and never really want to, but if me being forced to put my dog through obedience classes resulted in no stupid little yappy fluffballs harrassing my dog i'd comply! What's your thoughts on that sort of approach Mosh?
    How often does this really happen? You make it sound like "stupid little yappy fluffballs" are everywhere and are a constant threat to bigger dogs. It's extremely rare for a small dog to harass an obviously more powerful dog. It's not a normal response for a powerful dog to respond to a non-threat by seriously injuring or killing it. If a dog seriously injures or kills another dog for whatever reason, it is abberant behaviour. Dog fights happen all the time, but the vast majority of the time the injuries are just puncture wounds, not lacerations or tears.

    Though I wholeheartedly agree that people should be forced to demonstrate that they are competant owners in order to own any kind of dog. I've fostered far too many powerful high energy dogs as well as rude little yappers who were bought on impulse and then neglected, or spoiled rotten and then abandoned.

  10. #300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    How often does this really happen? You make it sound like "stupid little yappy fluffballs" are everywhere and are a constant threat to bigger dogs. It's extremely rare for a small dog to harass an obviously more powerful dog. It's not a normal response for a powerful dog to respond to a non-threat by seriously injuring or killing it.
    I'm not sure which planet you live on but it's pretty much a daily occurence in my experience. Obviously they are not a constant threat to bigger dogs as far as physical injuries go but there is a very real threat that big dog will get the blame and potentially get the needle. If you haven't seen the constant "little dog syndrome" I'd be very surprised!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •